The Definative Crackdown Thread

Says jitagawn:

This general police vigilance and protection /plus the crack-down are in preparation for APEC. As I have said several times this is further regulation but also is the same old crack-down process with a bit more ummmph this time.IMHO

I do not think that the police has any interest to kill the cow it is milking. But because of APEC they need to scale it down.

See this article in Bangkok Post

(shortened)

POLICE CORRUPTION

Claims they rake in at least B36.4bn a year

An expert on the underground economy says the police force is the most corrupt state institution and cannot survive without bribes.

He called for urgent reform to stop police becoming too powerful.

Sundsidh Piriyarangsan, of Chulalongkorn University and also deputy chairman of the National Economic and Social Advisory Council, said the police force was autonomous and very powerful because it was not subject to checks from other agencies.

``Bribe-taking, patronage and position-buying have become the culture of the police force, and reform is desperately needed.''

Bribes had become their main source of income. Last year they took more than 19 billion baht from gambling operators, 11 billion baht from the underground lottery, 3.4 billion baht from massage parlours and three billion baht from taxi motorcyclists.

``All owners of massage parlours pay bribes to police, based on the size of their business. The upscale parlours must pay around two million baht a month in police bribes, B-grade parlours about 1.5 million and lower-range parlours about 500,000 baht,'' he said.

``Bribes are not paid only by wealthy underground business owners or operators like Mr Chuwit [Kamolvisit, who unleashed a host of bribery allegations against the police], but also by low-income people such as masseuses and illegal workers.

``Each masseuse pays about 100 baht of her earnings from each customer to police , while many illegal immigrants pay 100 baht a month to avoid being arrested.''

Mr Sundsidh said police were the only organisation in which even the lowest-ranking officers could easily get bribes.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police are more than capable of milking a cow to death. The current crackdown has teeth that are capable of killing the scene at the Farang venues. The lack of breasts is obvious, but there is indeed more going on, some of which could have long term consequences.

There is a new regulation in effect that requires all of the bars to submit copies of the ID's of all girls that work in their bar to the police. If the police come in and find a girl working who is not on file with them, the bar gets the death sentence. The bars have been complying, but many girls are not happy about it. More than a few have left the bar scene because of it, and are now plying their trade at the freelancer venues. I have spoken to many of them, and they do not want their employment status made official. They feel it opens them up to Blackmail, Visa denial, and loss of face. I can't blame them. All the police have to do is "leak" the list to the press, and it will all be over. Those listed will be pariahs in their own villages, and no new girls will ever risk it when there are other venues available.

Would YOU trust the Thai police to keep such information privileged for fear of killing the cow?

The regulation isn't really new, but strict enforcement of it is.

>It was several 1000 baht bills. The police also had a form that looked like a police report. Being a tourist, I was not interested in getting involved.

No need. They were playing Monopolly, the form was the tab.

When it comes down to the crunch, it's one or two 100 (hundred) baht notes.

Unless, as somebody said, they were fining someone for littering. Does not happen too often but, as a tourist, one should be aware of that.

Enjoy taking photos around the place. And postcard stamps (air mail) are 15 bahts. Watch out, most of the shops would sell you 3x5 bahts, that big that they will cover most of your postcard. No room to write!

"There is a new regulation in effect that requires all of the bars to submit copies of the ID's of all girls that work in their bar to the police. If the police come in and find a girl working who is not on file with them, the bar gets the death sentence. The bars have been complying, but many girls are not happy about it. More than a few have left the bar scene because of it, and are now plying their trade at the freelancer venues. I have spoken to many of them, and they do not want their employment status made official. They feel it opens them up to Blackmail, Visa denial, and loss of face"

I do agree. If this new regulation is strictly enforced it could have a serious impact on the bar scene :banghead:

Archived