How far would you go??

>>>For a Thai lady there are 2 types of money. Her own money, which she can use as she pleases. And our money, which is my money.<<<

just to highlight again that statement of yours which has inspired me to my post.

that is a broad generalisation based on an ethnic/national perceived trait. what else is that than racist?

and lets not talk about that anymore - racist or not - it simply is rubbish - you got around 30 million thai females. you honestly try to tell me that this is what characterises them?

>>>I have over the years learned to love Thailand, and her people.<<<

oh well...how would you characterise then people you don't like? ::

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote

From your two posts I think I can see you have a negative attitude towards being involved with Thais.

First of all, I apologize (please accept it) if i sound too negative here.

Not my intention to spread bad things here.

Sometimes one dont see the impact of the written words. It does not always come out the way one wants.

Guess I speak English better than I write it.

Second, I spend most my time here with Thais. And honestly, sometimes they really have problems understanding farangs.

I do my absolute best to understand and accept them, which I should since Im a visitor to their country.

They seem to accept me, but dont want to understand me.

Enough of that.

Every time I visit my GF's family up in Issan, I give them money. As a gift! I do not send money regularly since they are self-sufficient.

To bring gifts, is a universal thing.

I do not give anything to my GF's aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. My GF actually told me NOT to give anything to her other relatives (uncles, aunties, etc), since they would expect me to continue handing out money to them every time we are in Issan.

Finally,

I know for a fact that several of my colleagues and other farang friends send money in the spirit of helping. But what they really do is spending their savings only to upgrade their standard of living. Those money would be spent for so called luxury items, to show off for their neighbours.

Please guys.

Dont tell me You never heard about this.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line (for me it is) must be the one on the top, who started this thread.

Sailor

"As interesting as incomes are, they are not directly related to "how far someone would go" as to help financially"

I disagree with this statement. My position is how far someone has gone is directly related to your income. If I make 50K baht a month and give 25K to the family, that is much different then if I make 800K baht a month and give 25K. The first example is going much farther to help then the second.

This thread got off topic when it went into what the family deserves or whose money it is; not when the income discussion came up

My exchange with Orandanodes was just a little light-hearted poke a few people (not him).

TH

>This thread got off topic when it went into what the family deserves or whose money it is; not when the income discussion came up

Let's get it back on track: how far would you go (in order of cost/necessity)?

From zero (bringing only token presents when visiting)

to

educating other children in the family, sending a regular "pension" to the parents, building a 2-3 storey house, car, designer furniture....?

Everything seem to be one way street here.

-----------------------------

i think it all depends who you set yourself up with. But in case of one-way streetness, your choice to say Enough! or simply No!, along the way is still yours. I think we westerners should use that prerogative more often: just saying no.

Archived