How far would you go??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>to send his daughter to a Univ. because right now, it costs over $7,000/month in BKK.

Jasmine, is the above figure correct? Per month?

For a full year, (family support included) my gf needs 5000US$. That covers her Uni (which may be inexpensive one, I don't know). Out of 5K$ she can still save 15-20%.

7000 US per month seems a bit much.

In fact Thai Univ. doensn't even cost 5000 US a year.

Private Univ. like bankgok, Rangsit etc are around 50,000 Baht per semester + some add. on books etc.

Government univ. are much cheaper, but may require a large entry amount (often referred to as tea money).

Tea is - as we all know - a very exclusive beverage in LOS

Guest lazyphil

I hope my nipper doesn't take after me (lazy and thick!!) and goes to her local uni...Cambridge, the original and still the best in the world! (and cheaper than a LOS uni :grinyes:)

a couple of 1,000's of baht every month ......Not everybody has the financial capacity to shell out that sort of money every month!

---------------------------------

Not sure if I understand. You are saying that about 50 $ every month is a big burden on you? I don't remember if you live in LOS or not so I will think for both cases:

1)living in farangland: if 50$ is a big chunk off your income, I would expect that your retirement funds annexed to your salary are going to be very small, and in any case, sending 2000b or not, you may need to work indeed a few more years.

2)living in LOS: This is part of one's homework before making the big move. Taking a big chance on lower income not being able to seriosuly take care of you at a later age.

3) this one to say that I believe that any expat or farang BF spends at least 2000 bahts for his live-in thai wife/companion every month, or at least this sum is coming out of his pocket towards the couple's expenses.

Did you really mean 2000, actually?

>>>You are saying that about 50 $ every month is a big burden on you?<<<<

not in particular to you.

guys, when talking about money i think you forget what many people in the west make. when i was working there, i have made in all the different low end labour jobs not more than 1000 or 1200 US$ a months. given the cost of living in the west 50 or 100 bucks is a large chunk of money.

and as the line of work i am in now has an international crises which will last for a few more years, having to go back into that sort of life is something within the possibilities (scares the shit out of me) as i do not have any other marketable skills.

be happy that you have the possibilities to be able to make more, but please don't brag about it - things might change. as it did for me since a year ago.

Hi P127,

Not surprisingly the only people who made remarks about the money are U.S. citizens or living in the u.s. (Jasmine, JJSushi, and you). How come you all think that a couple of 1,000 baht is a joke? :banghead:

In your case I am all the more surprised, because I distinctly remember that you said in another thread that if you had to decide whether you would bring up your gf kids, in the states or thailand, postponing an early retirement was a major factor in the decisionmaking process. :dunno:

Since you don't believe me on my word, I'll give you an example based on averages here in the Netherlands. I know, boring as hell, but you asked for it, so you must have the courtesy to read it as well. :neener:

When talking about a couple of thousand baht, I had 5,000 baht in mind. The average exchange rate between the euro and the baht over the last 5 years has been 40 baht to the euro. So 5,000 baht a month equals 1,500 euro a year.

The average net household income per year in the Netherlands is 24,800 Euro.

If the average 35 year old man in the Netherlands would save 1,500 a year during 26 years and have an annual net average return on investment of 6 % he would have saved 88.734 euro's at the age of 61. Say that he could retire on 90 % of his net income during his working life, this would mean that he would actually be able to stop working on the age of 61 instead of 65.

Off course you could argue that I haven't put inflation into the equation, but I can guarantee you that it would still mean 3 extra years of labour on the workforce.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi KS,

24,800 euro is the actual average net household income in the netherlands in 2000. The average income is so high because a lot of the households have two full time salaries to their disposal.

The actual average gross salary is an entirely different matter. In 2000 it was 22,800 Euro. If you would deduct income taxes, this would mean that the average dutch person earns a net income of 16,684 Euro per year.

Enough statistics now, back to the topic. :)

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived