How far would you go??

Says llso:

As I have indicated in a previous post I have paid for and built a house in my wife?s village. It was a house that they were already building but ran out of money. It set me back about 200 K Bt. not a lot of money at the time for me.........

...........They have never been greedy and are actually quite self-sufficient.............

.............I really don?t mind helping them out a bit as they are quite poor and don?t have much hard cash....

200 k Bt?

Is that 200 000 Bt you talk about?

No wonder they never been greedy then, if they are poor. How long time does it take for a poor family to save (whats left after all expenses) 200 000 Bt?

Im a westerner with a normal/medium income which places me among what used to be called the upper working class.

Same tax pressure as rest of you ppl.

Even I have to save some time before I can cough up 200 000 Bt.

But Im a bit confused by the term "poor" here.

If someone is self-sufficient. Are they poor then?

Seem to me that many farangs send money to their GF's families, just to upgrade their standard of living. Not to help/support someone needy.

There is NO Way I will send a single Bt to someone whom is just expecting me to pay out, just because Im a farang, and because this is the Thai culture.

What about my culture?

Everything seem to be one way street here.

Is there no such thing as mutual understanding in Thailand?

For a Thai lady there are 2 types of money. Her own money, which she can use as she pleases. And our money, which is my money.

Please correct me if Im wrong here.

Sailor

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to clarify your statement because I never mentioned anything concerning the "amount" of money. My point was that it should not be such an issue to help those in need if you have the means to help.

JJSushi,

I reread your original message, and yes, there was no reason to include you in my list. In fact, I completely agree with the gist of your message. So your honour, I withdraw that remark! :)

Cheers!

[color:"red"] For a Thai lady there are 2 types of money. Her own money, which she can use as she pleases. And our money, which is my money.

Please correct me if Im wrong here.

[/color]

Are you saying that you NEVER heard a Western woman saying "My money is mine, his is mine"? :neener:

Kidding aside, I have worked all my life and my marriage is a partnership. What I was trying to say :banghead: was that a person needs some freedom to an amount of money if possible ($1/day is fine, ok?) and no one should tell her what she does with it, ok?

Goodness, when I was growing up, I had an allowance starting at the 1st grade, and neither my father nor mother told me what to do with it (they just suggested). And that is how I learn to manage my money!!!

Now am I hearing that a grown woman who is grown enough to be married(I wanted to use more explicit terms) :shhh::dunno: should be treated worse than a child? :help::banghead:

I give up, perhaps I am dense here. :eek:

Jasmine :doah::banghead:

>>>For a Thai lady there are 2 types of money. Her own money, which she can use as she pleases. And our money, which is my money.

Please correct me if Im wrong here.<<<

than feel yourself corrected as that statement is a pile of racist shite.

>>>Thai culture.

What about my culture?<<<

you compromise - what else.

>>>Seem to me that many farangs send money to their GF's families, just to upgrade their standard of living. Not to help/support someone needy.<<<

nobody advocates handouts for the "needy", it is about taking responsibility for your family - helping them to help themselves. read the posts please...

>>>There is NO Way I will send a single Bt to someone whom is just expecting me to pay out, just because Im a farang, and because this is the Thai culture.<<<

and i guess that there is no way that with that attitude you will ever find a wife from this place (which i assume is anyhow nothing you aspire to). and if you would out of pure luck - she'll be making a runner soon.

>Everything seem to be one way street here.

Is there no such thing as mutual understanding in Thailand?

There is and you don't see your bit.

From your two posts I think I can see you have a negative attitude towards being involved with Thais. You can think what you want but "Relationships" section deals with exactly that - relationships. Without changing your attitude, please refrain from posting.

TTM - mod.

As I have said in my post the house was built as security for my wife and child and possibly myself in the future. I spend time in the village and now i have a decent place to stay.

When I refer to them as poor I mean that they do not have money. Money to pay for unforeseen medical expenses or make any major purchases or consumer goods. To buy the tractor for the family farm all 3 girls went to work in a factory in BKK for a year to save up for it.

They are self sufficient in that they are able to eek out a subsistence living with thier farm and feed the family with a small bit of profit. Also the other children work as builders when they can find work. My wife and I do send them a small amount of money from time to time for which they are grateful.

LL

Says orandanodes:

Mine spends about a 100K per month and that doesn't include family support. What about yours???

Is that baht? Shit, that is only about MYR 9,100, SGD 4,200 , CNY 20,000 or USD 2,400. That ain't nothin'. Mine has done that in a day at KLCC, Orchard Road, World Trade Center, Bejing, and Fashion Island in Newport, CA. :help:

Says orandanodes:

Love this bragging

Isn't it great. :beer:

TH

[quote

Are you saying that you NEVER heard a Western woman saying "My money is mine, his is mine"? :neener:

Kidding aside, I have worked all my life and my marriage is a partnership. ......

Totally agree there.

A marriage is and should be a partnership.

And the money should be spent as you say. Some for you to use, some for me to use, and the rest for us to use.

Btw, I actually never experienced a Western woman say that (my money is mine....). But then again, Im only one person. 1000s of other guys might have experienced that.

Sailor

[quote............

than feel yourself corrected as that statement is a pile of racist shite.......

Please dont play the famous "racist card" here.

I dont talk about Thais as a race. After all I choose to spend most of my time here.

Would I be a racist if I talked about people from Australia?

Have been working with people from 28 nations for 8 years now. I would not have lasted long if i was racist.

I have over the years learned to love Thailand, and her people.

Thailand and her people is (for a foreigner) full of strange things, just like all other countries in this small world,

But right now I believe we discuss Thailand.

You can call me whatever you want, but not a racist.

Sailor

Archived