How far would you go??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Not surprisingly the only people who made remarks about the money are U.S. citizens or living in the u.s. (Jasmine, JJSushi, and you). How come you all think that a couple of 1,000 baht is a joke?

[/color]

Ok, I did't realize the average income. However, have you considered if she is not working at all?

I know I sound like a selfish female here thinking that men should provide. That is NOT what I am thinking. She is working so she has some income which she can use at her discretion and I feel that anyone who works, either a housewife (still work :banghead:) should have a certain amount of income for discretion disposal. :rolleyes:

I have worked all my life and I remember the times that $50 was a big deal, it is still a big deal to burn it.

Some people in the USA's income may seem high, but if you pay around 40%tax (state and federal) and the housing cost average of $240,000 (in my area for a single home) and property tax, personal tax, sales tax, social security tax, 401K, retirement savings and I don't know what else. The household income of $200,000 (an example) shrinks to barely $75,000/yr :eek: I promise you the first 5 months of our income is for taxes :onfire:

I have had experiences listening to many Thai/Asian women complaining about their spouses (BF) concern on money, (their word is "selfishly stinginess"), and I just want to give you an advice to be cautious, if I may be so bold. :bow: This money issue can break a relationship fast. There is one woman who is working on her divorce right now in my area, on the money issue alone. Oh for what I have been hearing, she is doing well to put up with him for 3 long years, I would bolted in 3 months!!!:(

I cannot imagine Hubby telling me that I cannot have $1,500/yr. to dispose as I see fit, whether I work or not, that is much less than what we paid for food of 3 months for 2 persons and Hubby and I do not drink so money spent is on food, period.

I am not trying to belittle the amount of money you mentionedbut, IMO, she is working and she deserves that amount to do whatever with it. :bow: Even if she is not working outside home, that amount can be her spending money, my strong opinion of course. :rolleyes:

Jasmine :doah:

Ok, I did't realize the average income. However, have you considered if she is not working at all? I know I sound like a selfish female here thinking that men should provide. That is NOT what I am thinking.

I am sorry to say Jasmine, but IMO you do sound like a selfish woman here. How about I turn the tables and say I as the main provider stopped working. That would mean a complete change of life style. Whether my gf works or not, is not important. If you feel it IS important though, just be fair and admit that you really think the man should be the provider.

I feel that anyone who works, either a housewife (still work ) should have a certain amount of income for discretion disposal.

I completely agree with you, but the amount of money you can freely spend is absolutely relative to your income and your monthly costs. I hope you realise that on top of sending money home, every woman (and man!) needs some money to spend for fun, too!

I promise you the first 5 months of our income is for taxes

I am sorry, but the amount of money U.S. citizens have to pay in income taxes are not an equalizer. In the Netherlands, any income above 50,000 euro would be taxed with 52 % here. VAT is 19 %! On top of that, we have all the same kind of taxes that you just mentioned. The fact that a family home costs $ 240,000,-- doesn't make me flinch either. Only in the remotest provinces would you be able to buy a free standing family home for the amount you mentioned. My 2 bedroom appartment alone costs 150 k!

I have had experiences listening to many Thai/Asian women complaining about their spouses (BF) concern on money, (their word is "selfishly stinginess"), and I just want to give you an advice to be cautious, if I may be so bold.

I seriously hope you don't imply that I am selfish here, because you don't know enough about my personal finances to berate me. :nono:

I also hope these women you mentioned at least knew what the financial situation of their family was before they started complaining about their hubby's being "selfishly stingy". If they weren't, I believe these little princesses deserve a good spanking, if I may be so bold! :neener:

I cannot imagine Hubby telling me that I cannot have $1,500/yr. to dispose as I see fit

Good for you. What I don't understand that it still hasn't sunk in with you that there are lots of families around who don't have the luxury to spend that much money on the pleasures of just a single family member. :dunno:

Soongmak :doah:

Ladies and gentlemen,

Not directed at anyone in particular, but may I re-direct the thread to the topic at hand.

As interesting as incomes are, they are not directly related to "how far someone would go" as to help financially.........

There is also no need to get personnal, only personal examples are ok.

Yours faithfully - your local moderator

[color:"red"] How about I turn the tables and say I as the main provider stopped working. That would mean a complete change of life style. Whether my gf works or not, is not important. If you feel it IS important though, just be fair and admit that you really think the man should be the provider.

[/color]

Then I will have my meals cooked and he will have spending money. ::

[color:"red"] The fact that a family home costs $ 240,000,-- doesn't make me flinch either. Only in the remotest provinces would you be able to buy a free standing family home for the amount you mentioned. My 2 bedroom appartment alone costs 150 k!

[/color]

I understand, realizing that the USA has much more land. We struggle just to own a home here too, why do you think we spend around 3 hrs. driving to work each day? Because we can not afford a $400,000 house. :(

[color:"red"] I seriously hope you don't imply that I am selfish here, because you don't know enough about my personal finances to berate me. [/color]

No, I imply nothing and do not want to know your personal finances, ever. :banghead: Only sharing what I have known. Many women know very well what their financial situation of their families are and know exactly where they are from, however, there is also expectation of a partnership and understanding with their partners to make a some adjustments (don't have to understand), just some adjustment. :doah:

[color:"red"]Good for you. What I don't understand that it still hasn't sunk in with you that there are lots of families around who don't have the luxury to spend that much money on the pleasures of just a single family member.

[/color]

It has sunk in BIG time. My brain capacity is functioning ok to receive your message, lound and clear. :bow:

My lips are zipped on this issue with you.

Cheers!

Please note that i did not make a joke of your post, it would help if you tell us of your situtation with the GF. Already at 5000, i would deplore it makes it hard for you but would not have answered.

IMO, in cases of the guy not making a lot, this is where it is expected for the woman to help and work too. If she is a Bg who can hardly find any job, even for 4000b/month, then maybe, having a GF abroad who needs $$ attention is not a good proposition.

Though a few of us do, I usually go with the general rule that one should not send money to Bgs/freelancer, unless the visa is being processed. I mean, no one forces us, so I can only believe the guy who does it, can do it or chooses to do it, as it is hardly aking to being forced to pay taxes for example.

So, this is not a discussion on low-income, just choices one makes about the girl we choose to associate with. IMO, and as you indicate, 2 incomes seem essential when one has a minimal financial situation.....

Fly, no one brags about nothing.

As I just said, it is a matter of choice with the limited income one has. I remember living for years with my sister and brother +parents in a 2 room house, and there were many things, like going to a movie, that my Mom would say we could not afford.

I also used to make less than now (though it's heavily cut when spending 3,4, 6 months in LOS :(... Uh, sorry!: :D), and I knew it would have been silly to send money to a girl then.

personally, I think that if 50$ is challenging, then where to find the money to fly and stay in LOS, at least a 1200 euros budget. Again, Soongmaak has not told us much of his situation, maybe he cannot afford a flying vacation abroad, I :dunno:).

From what you tell us about your missus, i seem to get the feeling that in challenging times, she would understand you can't help more with the household finances and 2000 is way too much.

Not surprisingly the only people who made remarks about the money are U.S. citizens or living in the u.s. (Jasmine, JJSushi, and you). How come you all think that a couple of 1,000 baht is a joke?

You need to clarify your statement because I never mentioned anything concerning the "amount" of money. My point was that it should not be such an issue to help those in need if you have the means to help.

We all need help and when it comes to family and friends if you can afford to help you should IMO.

Archived