Life of ex-sex workers

jasmine

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Average BG sends home 30,000./month and that ain't all of it.

I don't believe this. If true, it means that an average BG would send almost 2/3 or more of her monthly earnings home. Mind you we're talking here about an AVERAGE BG. This I doubt. Where did you get this figure from?

from the horses mouth. Kings castle 1.

Well, add it up! Lets say, min. 15 customers times 2000each, your monthly wage 7000., tips drinks, a little free lancing...

Now take free lancers at Nana, start beer garden, 1000ST, then nana disco, 1000 or maybe 2000, or maybe more depends who u get (maybe less). Multiple by 20-30 days a month...voila!

On top of that, add the 'boyfriends' from abroad sending cash..mamma, I'm in the wrong business :censored:

Stew,

still I'm in doubt. An average BG does not earn abt. THB 50.000 a month. That's the income in the high season. Even if she would earn that much I don't believe that she sends home 30.000 Baht. She has to pay rent for her room, has to pay for food and clothing. Be real. That's simply not possible unless she 'works' like a robot and is a so called stunner. And even then it would be very difficult. Maybe we can have some input from others as well. Would be nice to hear the opinion of TTM.

And besides what is wrong with wanting a better house (especially if the current one is a hovel), or some of the modern amenities you and I have grown accustomed to?
There is nothing wrong with wanting the better things it's the way one chooses to acquire them.

The woman in this article, along with her family, made a conscious decision for her to become a prostitute. I would guess they had examples around them of the potential gains to be had as well as the failures from choosing the path they chose. Also were examples around them of other options; farming, people who might of gone to Bangkok to work I'm not sure what options were available to her twenty(?) years ago.

From the article:

[color:"red"] Japanese social worker Mari Nyota, 47, who has done research on how former sex workers are doing after they returned from Japan.

Mari set up a non-profit organisation called Self-Employment Programme of Migrant Women (Sepom) to assist victims of poverty and human trafficking such as Nattiya, Varunee and Duangjand [/color]

Might as well have been a middle aged bleeding heart American woman.

Where are the victims here? Are underprivileged Thais (I don't like to use the word poor) victims? Did someone kidnap the girl and force her into prostitution, not once but twice?

Like someone taking a short cut to win a race tripping and falling on their face I doubt these girls get much sympathy from the natives who choose the more traditional lifestyles with lots of work and little pay.

Hi,

Several flaws in your calculation.

1) The average bargirl does not have 15 customers a month, but more likely 7-10. Nor will the average pay be 2,000 Baht.

2) Hardly any of the girls receive their full pay, there are almost always a lot of cuts (too late, not showing up at all, ...).

3) I also seriously doubt that all (or even most) bargirls get regular payments from abroad.

Then from whatever she does make, she still needs to pay for:

- rent & utils

- transportation

- food

- make up / hair

The vast majority of girls will not have even close to 30K left at this point.

Sanuk!

JP1:

True, prostitution doesn't have near the stigma it does in the West, but how about being not 100% Japanese? Still tons of racial stigmatism which would make me think that a Thai marrying and moving over there is more of an exception than the rule. Not doubting it doesn't happen though, or is my interpretation wrong? Armchair here as I never even set foot in that land :)

Stew:

I find your views patronizing. You first state that the bargirls are all in it for the "Quick and easy". They don't have "the time (or brains)" to realize they can use the internet to exploit cash.

You talk "about the zillions of farangs who are daily exploited for their fortunes?" Quite some exageration. Daily? Exploited? The farangs are generally from developed nations. Had the options of higher education and a more intelligently stimulating society. Who is really doing most of the exploiting? Why do these farangs come here? Because they are taking the easy way out trying to find a mate from an economically disadvantaged situation. All generalities and won't hold weight on individual basis, but aggregate, I don't believe I would be that far from the situation regarding the host of farangs who are "exploited" out of their money.

You also talk about the girls who stow away millions in secret bank accounts. By far the exception rather than the norm compared to most women who, after a few years retiring, are probably little better off if any than when they started down the red light district route.

Why are you so vehement to hold up the "farang" examples of being exploited? The answer seems pretty clear to me.

<<burp>>

True, prostitution doesn't have near the stigma it does in the West, but how about being not 100% Japanese? Still tons of racial stigmatism which would make me think that a Thai marrying and moving over there is more of an exception than the rule. Not doubting it doesn't happen though, or is my interpretation wrong? Armchair here as I never even set foot in that land

Being not 100% Japanese is no hindrance anymore. There are several thousand mixed couples living in the Land of the Rising Sun. Mostly foreign men married to Japanese girls. This is really nothing unusual. More seldom you'll find Japanese men married to foreign girls. Often the girls come from SE Asia or are Chinese. Japan is slowly but surely changing. There is still a lot of racism existing in this country but a Thai girl from the North -and most girls who 'work' here are from the North (because of their looks)- does not look so much different from a Japanese girl. So I think it's acceptable for Japanese to marry some of them.

I came back to edit my post, and damn! 10 people have already replied!

Your right, I should have said just a 'few' girls who I have chatted up recently gave me those figures. God knows not ever girl is pulling that kinda cash.

The one who said bluntly she sends home 30,000/month, lives in (basically) a little box room with her sister, coackroaches, no bed, they sleep on the floor (yes, I've been there.) 2000baht/month, something like that.

Patronizing? I uphold the farang side because we are the suckers in this game. These girls, and families know 1000% the disgrace and shame associated with this trade, and the necessity to lie, to who? To us. Understandably, its a question of survival.

I've read that only about 3% of the entire population of Thailand r prostitutes. I forget the math there, but seems it can't be right. So what r we to believe that 97% are in some form of 'honest' trade? But here we are wasting our breath on a measly 3%!

No, the girls working the bars don't love it, I was playing devils advocate there, but find me one girl who objects to it, and given a good 'talking' to would stop there and then.

I met a BG working 2 years in KingsCpatpong, i ask her, why u still here? She said, i have lots of friends and its fun.

Truth is, no alternative. No education, no job, a baby, where else can she make that kind of money? Nowhere.

KSanuk: I thought i was calculating low? 15 customers I thought would be a minimum, and girls always ask 2000ST at kings castle group. Perhaps we should do a survey? :beer:

Sorry, I have to maintain that BGs are sort of brainless (adjective), take every girl out of the bar, slap her picture on the net with a nice honest write up, that could include sex, and its downhill from there - she can pick and choose the fellows that appeal to her...just a (bad) idea. Takes alot of thought, poo-ying mai chorp kit mag, kow-jai ba? Jing jing, ja buua reo, naa?

And what i meant about the 'secret' account was that they could stash away some for those rainy days, they must have some inkling that mum (and dad?) aren't as idealic as they (or most certainly we) imagine. You'd think so anyways...they do have brains, its just a question of whether they use them or not. I always have to tell my students, peet ga-dak, purd sa-mong! They find it amusing, none the less, i have to tell them... :dunno:

Somehow, I think I could make 3 million baht last for a while, since that's around 5 years' salary for me. But the average Thai has only one idea about money... SPEND IT! Save it? Invest it? Huh??? Don't be ridiculous.

My Mrs used to be almost as bad. Once I gave her the money to pay for our plane tickets to Chiang Mai. She came back in tears with a lot of new clothes, saying "I couldn't help myself!" Thank God, she outgrew it and now handles money better than I do.

Archived