marrying into a poor family

Says jasmine:

[color:"red"]but my wife and i went..sat and looked at menu ,kitchen etc.

NTG said...is not Thai.

[/color]

The worst Pha Thai I had was from a Restuarant run by a Chinese and Loatian cook, :: So next time I asked for a "Som Tum" and it was excellent!! ::

Cooking is an art and ones can follow recipes but some tricks and techniques are learnt from experience and pratice.
:doah:

I had helped mother cooking a little when I was growing up but never learned to cook until married. I used to cook and tried on our dogs mostly and threw away lots of curries and stir fries. Still miss my mother cooking lots.
:D

Jasmine ::

My wife learnt from her mother as well..went on to open a small restaurant in phuket.

BTW...dogs still alive :: ::

Why open a Restaurant if is not your cusine/knowledge/background ::

They never work or last to long.

Maybe open a ""MOMS"" restaurant :devil:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<We're getting far off track here.

The last 20 posts or so should've been in the food or career section>>

Not really, (all interconnected) marrying into poor family i.e. I did and my mrs working = sending money home (and nights out playing pool and drinking :D, btw, also we have a joint account so it matters not whos money gets sent to LOS, its all the same) to them and thus these posts you deem irrelevant are in fact not so.....I would say relevant in every possible way ::..but I guess slightly off the predictable theorising and usual bg double guessing/Psychology perhaps!

We're getting far off track here.

The last 20 posts or so should've been in the food or career section.

cheers

Ok sorry about that.

However many Thai girls find food /cooking as a way out of a poor family!

My wife and her sisters all worked in the Restaurant industry in Oz to earn money to get ahead and a life..and went on from there to all their collective benefit.

All now own a business in their own right!

Work hard and you can achieve..poor families can win...imo

just got herself a job teaching at a beauty school, and her starting salary is more than that of several people in our office

---------------------

Not only that, but eventually, the lady can get in some management positions or even onw her own shop, in the big city or back home. promotion in corporate environments will always be tied to level of studies achieved(1), and I am sorry to say, gender too.

(1) see FlyW's post where his missus needs a college degree to workas a cokk in a 5 star hotel. Vocational but still, limits as far as establishment status.

my missus has cooked for royals and other dignitaries, but cannot get a proper job in her own country, while she could easily get a job in the best places outside.

-----------------

my response probably should be a new thread, but isn't there time where Love of Thailand must subside for a more realistic approach to the finances, the well-being of a family/couple. Not pointing at you at all, just a general comment, but your thoughts are appreciated.

>>>where Love of Thailand must subside for a more realistic approach <<<

don't get me wrong here, but i do not have much love at all for "thailand", never had.

it just happens to be the place i live, i somehow seem to belong to appearantly in some way. and my missus is thai. what i do like though very much is the life i am living here. i am very happy with my relationship, i do like my inlaws a lot. i have all my friends here, and in other parts of asia. i do like my chosen profession a lot (even though that is at the moment in a crises all over the world).

the realistic approach is that for me life in the west is simply not imaginable. i have left when i was twenty. how could i ever find my way around there?

my missus likes to travel to the west, but she would only very reluctantly like to live there. she feels as the head of her family of course responsible for her brothers and their children, and would only go with me to the west if we would have no other choice, and, like me, hoping to get back here as soon as we can.

well, love, like, love to live, like to live, appreciate, I see you understand my point anyway. This is the sentence(1) that I wish to question though. Life is about changes, and I wonder if somehow, expats, especially younger ones like you (less than 40), don't get swayed too much in thinking this is the only life, impossible outside of LOS, etc.... especially as for many, their situation is or gets shaky. Again, you are qualified to answer this as an expat, but do not take it too personal. I can ask this to almost every expat who does not have a situation super-solid in LOS.

(1)FlyW: "the realistic approach is that for me life in the west is simply not imaginable. i have left when i was twenty. how could i ever find my way around there?"

Archived