TG, less intell. than other Asian/West. females?

jasmine

Jjsuhi, I know perfectly well that nowadays it is only politically correct if you define fairly a lot different types of intelligence.

Now, creativity is certainly a part of intelligence, but not a sufficient one. You can be very creative without being intelligent. And you can be a good artist without being intelligent. (depends on the type of art).

Please enumerate the different types of intelligence you are thinking about. And what do you mean by academical intelligence?

You say that one has to be intelligent to appreciate art?!? Many people appreciate art because they are told that this is art!

I never stated that there is a bidirectional relation between ones profession and ones intelligence. And that intelligence is simply one criteria for certain occupations- I gave myself an example for it (the boxer).

You are also true, that to create something you need a lot of knowledge about the fabrication etc. . But knowledge isn't the same as intelligence. Of course you need some intelligence to learn something which is taught, but I was speaking about high intelligence. (i.e. finding out yourself.)

Intelligence comes from intellegere, ie thinking about something. It defines ones capacity to think, ie make conclusions. To imagine a painture has something to do with intelligence, but to paint it with your hands requires also the physical ability. Now while I think that for example Picasso was intelligent for inventing his style of painting, other artists are not that intelligent. But I don't think that Picasso was extremly intelligent.

My definition of intelligence is probably the sum of all the different intelligences you are talking about.

Best regards

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you lost me here again

What I wanted to say is that if you speak of non-thinking then it sounds to me as non-intelligent. Because I can't imagine how one can be intelligent if one doesn't like to think.

I understand now that you don't link non-thinking with being intelligent or not.

Concerning non-thinking of thais: I know what you mean by that, but I am not sure if I can sign this statement. I believe that this non-thinking is a result of the poor education. Just think how much kids in rich countires learn by watching TV. (for example star trek: then they know what stars, black holes, curved space... etc are. Or they will ask someone.)

And about 80% of questions in schools asks only for knowledge (told us a professor of pedagogic). And in discussions like on this forum even more knowledge is asked. (just look at the obsessions of members with experience, stated facts, statistics and so on and the dislike of abstract argumentations. haha sorry I couldn't restrain me :devil:)

So I think that we all fall in the trap to think that we are so smart because we are intelligent whereas we just have a lot of knowledge.

Best regards

>>>non-thinking then it sounds to me as non-intelligent<<<

LH, there you have it, you start boozing and not thinking that's your intelligence down the drain.

And let me add that this is a well thought out and therefore intelligent statement.

[color:"blue"] LH, there you have it, you start boozing and not thinking that's your intelligence down the drain.

And let me add that this is a well thought out and therefore intelligent statement.

[/color]

Could be why I have been told, "You are the most intelligent person I''ve ever met, but you're not too smart."

It's been my observation that Japanese tend to think that ALL non-Japanese are less intelligent than they are....not just Thai women. Racism is an institution in Japan. :devil:

we all fall in the trap to think that we are so smart because we are intelligent whereas we just have a lot of knowledge.

---------------------

That's a trap i do not fall in. Intelligence, IMO, has to do with being able to deduct things for yourself, and from/use what you learnt. If you do not practice and acquire knowledge to help you choose, deduct, etc... by yourself, you might as well not be intelligent. I actually think intelligent people do that naturally. They also learn by their mistakes, and certainly not by rote. One can do a lot of stupid mistakes, or act stupidly, still have the intelligence to change that.

One Thailand-nightlife site had this as a motto:

"Thailand, where intelligent men can act stupidly". That was a good one :applause:

Says Flyonzewall

typical sextourist/sexpat crap.

great counter argument is bringing up the question why then so many of those unintelligent farmers daughters manage to con all those intelligent males out of their savings?

it never fails to baffle me why so many guys who clearly display those and worse racist attitudes have nothing better to do than spending so much time with women whose race/nationality they do despise. on a similar level is that constant argument of those who despise thai males, but adore the women (or better - the sexual services some of those women provide for renumeration).

Says jjsushi

It is not intellligence but educational opportunity. Too many people confuse intelligence with formal education. Thailand is not a place that promotes education, hence the overall populace suffers.

Well said guys!

Know many Japanese graduates of top unis, professors, elite folks who are way out there halfway to Mars. Struggle to put noodles in their mouth, but give them a text book and they're geniuses, in their restricted fields.

Intelligence and the ability to absorb knowledge, the strength of the education systems in Japan and Thailand, are two different things.

Says DocSavage

It's been my observation that Japanese tend to think that ALL non-Japanese are less intelligent than they are....not just Thai women. Racism is an institution in Japan.

Bit of a sweeping racist comment in itself, hey Doc? :cussing::banghead: :onfire:

MANY Japanese have an inferiority complex towards Westerners and a superiority complex towards other Asians, but it's not quite ALL Japanese.

[color:"red"]Do you mean we do not adore thai men because we don't sleep with them? [/color]

Touche' P127. Ones don't have to sleep with them to adore them you should know :neener:

If I were to adore you, I don't have to sleep with you first, do you understand? :devil:

Cheers! :D

Says naiv:

Some more examples about the willingness of thai people to think:

1) In the shop, buying 2 2L bottles of Fanta: the stuff gives me 2 bags, one over the other, because they rightly think that only one plastic bag couldn't bear the weight (this never happens in Europe)

A sure sign of intelligence indeed...

In Thailand they are so intelligent that at the cash desk I am often given 4-5 different bags each half or less than half full...

Anyway, in most countries in Europe you pay for every plastic bag they give you (enviromental protection reasons), so you are the one who coose how many bags to take.

More than a few women go shopping with wheeled fabric bags.

(and even when the bags were for free it wasn't a question of intelligence that which prevented you to have a bag for every item you had purchased...)

Says naiv:

2) I carry 2 bags and want to pay for something. My TGF helds the bags so that I am able to reach for my moneybag.

(My Ex Gf back in farangland would never had this idea...)

Are you joking or what??

Says naiv:

3) The priority list concerning a husband. (I am sure you know it)

What does that mean?

Says naiv:

4) I know a woman from Isaan with almost no education who is the boss of a beauty shop and bar. She knows perfectly well what education is for her children. By the way she learned to write and read thai on her own and she speaks english fairly well.

And I know another woman from Isaan with a medium level of education whose farang husband went through a lot of troubles and hassles getting a passport and a visa for her to go to his country and whom I had to help since she seemed unable to interact with her own people in her own country...

Once got the passport she casually mentioned to one of her "sisters" that then she had 2 passports since she already had an American passport (10 years before she had been adopted by an American/Thai couple, now both dead). In other words, she didn't need any visa and no new passport...

So what?

Says naiv:

5) I observed how an uneducated girl understood the principles of pool very fastly just by watching.

Very impressive...

(and surely representative of the whole population)

Anyway, playing pool isn't popular at all between the youngs in Italy. I had never played it before visiting Thailand. A non English speaking BG taught the "Thai rules" of it to me a night while I was dead drunk and at the time I didn't speak any Thai. Getting skilled takes time and a lot of practicing, learning the rules takes 5 minutes at the most.

I myself taught it to another 3 young Italian tourists another night. At the end of the night one of them repeatedly beat the mamasan while they were betting money on it. He won 900 baht.

BTW I myself, with my limited pool experience, find now very easy to beat your "uneducated pool playing girls" with much more experience than me... And so generally do the other farangs whom I watch playing with them.

Says naiv:

6) Thai people try much more to understand what I say with my limited vocabulary than for example italien people (not that they are more intelligent, but the italiens seem to be too lazy to try to understand a tourist)

So from all my experiences thai people are in general less lazy to use their brain then farangs.

And that's the point who got me writing this reply (the others are frankly just ridiculous).

Well, in Europe the Italians are probably those with the worst English speaking skills, and that is only to talk about the younger ones, the others generally just don't speak English at all.

Of course, I am talking about the general population. Italy is a big tourist destination. 5% of our GNP comes from tourism related revenues. Those working in the industry are able to speak at least 2 other languages than Italian (where are those multi-language speakers amongst Thai workers in Thailand? Even their "mandatory" English -if any- is more often than not awful and almost unintelligible). I doubt very much that your negative comments are on the ones working for and with the tourists, I am sure you are referring to the average Italian.

Well, I am an Italian able to speak some English and some Thai. So, whenever I am outside Italy I deal with people speaking a language foreign to me.

Believe me, I've travelled a lot, in Europe, USA and Asia. Talking with other westerners, no matter if they are native English speakers themselves or not, we adopt a slower and easier way of speaking to facilitate the comprension of what it's said. That comes automatically once the other part (in UK, US, Australia, ...) realizes English is not my native tongue.

That's practically NEVER the case in Asia. In Thailand, whether I'm speaking English or Thai, the people usually don't try to adapt the slightest bit to the other part!

It's common sense (not even a sign of intelligence) speaking slower and using easier and more common terms speaking to a foreign. Thais don't understand that elementary concept and/or don't care about that.

Make them aware that you are not understanding them and ask them to repeat what they are saying (in English or Thai, it doesn't matter) and they will repeat it EXACTLY like the first time. Try again and they will STILL repeat it the same way.

(and that's especially stupid when you are the customer and they are the ones interested in selling goods or services to you...)

They are in fact so "intelligent" and "adapting", communicating with the others, that they often have problems understanding each other talking in Thai (when a more complex message than "I'm hungry/sleepy" or other basic everyday conversation has to be delivered)...

Ciao

Archived