TG, less intell. than other Asian/West. females?

jasmine

Inteligence for me is a person's capability to be able to learn.

----------------------------

And use what you learn in your life. same definition as me.

How you connect the nightlife to intelligence is beyond me

----------------------------------

I did not. Never mentionned intelligence in that post you talk about. I've said it all by now, on this thread, and I see that both thai Jasmine and thai-ed Oran are on the same wavelentgh as me. I think you are too.

This said, yes, I have seen some real stupid things done by Bgs/freelancers and GTGs, while in Thailand. Money management for example. Education completely offered but rejected. This is where some of the exceptions I talk about warm my heart. I do know P4P girls who spend more time learning, investing their money upcountry, than looking for their next 1000 bahts, undressing with a stranger. They were the ones, as you say, who had the capability to learn from their environment and use it to their advantage. Only wished it was contagious.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By asking questions and observing how the other person thinks.

-------------------------------

That's actually my forte, though this is often where I found that the answers were in the mould that Oran talked about, not so much to enlighten you about their life, but actually, to want or make you wonder why you have to ask the question. Actually the most heard sentence I heard from any thai girl i met: "you think too much. I think one day you go crazy you think too much"

Compare this practical example with Italy:

Farang: you go see Nok, your sister today?

girl: nok, not my sister.

farang: yesterday you told me she's your sister?

girl: same my sister, not my sister!

farang: so a friend, or your cousin?

girl: oooh.. why you ask so much questions :doah:. I have to speak to you everything?

I have another few hundred like that, if this one does not ring a bell. The point is, intelligent girl or not, often what you learn, you pick up by yourself, by filling the blanks, by observing as you said, not so directly by an engaged conversation. OranD said one day i was so interested by the whys and hows of thai culture, but thais do not reflect that much on their own culture or behaviour. It's what it is and that's it. Nothing questionning their basic intelligence but definitely reducing the value of one's intellect in one's life. Or not finding too much reward in it.

[color:"red"] girl: oooh.. why you ask so much questions . I have to speak to you everything?

[/color]

Yea brother P127, why do you ask so many questions? Do you want us, women to think? :neener:

[color:"red"] but thais do not reflect that much on their own culture or behaviour. [/color]

I mentioned this to Hubby one day and after (seemed) like 15 minutes analysis and thinking, he said "Babe, if ones must think about how to get the next meal, how to pay for rent and other financial obligations, ones don't care about the culture." Can be some truth in that. :bow:

For me, intelligence is the ability to learn to take what life gives you and make the best out of any situation without harming others.

In literature and many other subjects, ones can learn.

What the Japanese was saying was that the Thai women he met did not have a capacity to learn and he talked about both educated/not-so-eduated ones here. He managed a factory in BKK for several years and he felt that he knew.

In many ways I agree with him on the [color:"blue"] capacity to learn [/color] . I have had experience teaching some of these people and because of their lack of formal learning background, it is hard for them. But start teaching something that they can grasp, they can take off like rockets and I love it. ::

P127, some people just are not interested in conversation beyond their personal life, my mother in law is like that.

Jasmine :devil:

Intelligence has been linked with ones profession and some say that intelligence is linked to ones capacity to learn.

the first one IMO is nonsense, the second one perhaps closee but not still not correct.

IMO intelligence is the ability to comprehend what one learns and the ability to use the that intelligence creatively.

Almost all people have the ability to learn (at least to some extend), but only those truly intelligent become creative with that learning ability.

Reflecting on Thailand, the ecudation system here encourages learning but failes to address creativity. This much lead to frustation for those students that have an above average intelligence.

[color:"red"] Reflecting on Thailand, the ecudation system here encourages learning but failes to address creativity. This much lead to frustation for those students that have an above average intelligence.

[/color]

You hit the right spot on Thailand does not encourage creativity. IMO, creativity needs a mind that is free and kids in Thai schools are not encouraged to have "free thinking".

I think I mentioned several times that I went to Triam Udom HS, that school saved me for they let us kids release a few "craziness " without repercussion. I had so many report cards and one was because I complained that I was bored and I don't think I was the only one, just dared to speak up.

In my career, I feel that I don't learn as fast as I want to simply I think my education background is not directly in ITs. That is why I mentioned the learning capacity because many Thai women I have met lack the ability to learn some certain subjects formally.

My sister-in-law has been going to an off campus law school for the past 7 years and seemed to pass tests ok, but I just found out that she signed a blank contract with a neighbor on a financial agreement!!! Because the darn form was not filled in, the amount of money can be written any amout, fortunately the neighbor is a bit respectful to my brother. Now that is dumb, even my niece (her daughter of 14 yrs. old) got on her case.

The problem that I have always had with the Thai education systems is the way they just make the kids learn from memorization, to make sure they pass the tests and many teachers have such big ego. Oh, I can go on complaining!!!

Cheers! ::

Says jasmine:

I mentioned this to Hubby one day and after (seemed) like 15 minutes analysis and thinking, he said "Babe, if ones must think about how to get the next meal, how to pay for rent and other financial obligations, ones don't care about the culture." Can be some truth in that.
:bow:

Your hubby has a good point. Culture is usually developed and enjoyed when one has plenty of free/leisure time. When your surviving day to day there just isn't too much "thinking" time. Maybe this is why throughout history you see a people's culture truly develop and flourish when they congregate in city environments where the majority populace is not toiling in solitude, farming everyday.

Following the Japanese guy's logic, if I were a woman, I wouldn't have a child with 99% of Japanese salarymen. I've spend a lot of time working in Japan and your typical Japanese salaryman is sexist, bigoted and as thick as pig shit (sorry, but true).

I wouldn't hesitate to blend my genes and culture with a Thai :up:.

"Babe, if ones must think about how to get the next meal, how to pay for rent and other financial obligations, ones don't care about the culture."

-----------------------------------

True, but not for Bgs. They have plenty of idle time, and their time with farangs can be put to good use learning bits here, bits there, and being offerred educational activities. We had this discussion before and someone (JJ?) said, learn for what? to make 5000 bahts a month? Completely agree, this meets my point that for many, and women especially, the motivation to learn is frustrated in thai society. Only a girl with strong individual survival and strong wish to get out of P4P will strive. Not that many, truly.......

some people just are not interested in conversation beyond their personal life

--------------------------------

even then!!!! (not my sister, samesame my sister, etc..... ::)

Gossiping is fun, though, can fill up days and years.

His current passion is writing a book that mathematically proves the existence of God.

Now, depending on the definition of God, this can be very easy or difficult or impossible. But to write a book about it isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence.

I don't think that noneducated people are less intelligent, actually if you had read my posts you would know that I always say the contrary.

How can an occupation define intelligence?

Very easily: If you are not intelligent you can never become for example a scientist. You simply can't learn the necessary skills.

This doesn't mean that uneducated people are less intelligent. It just means that scientist are intelligent.

Now, if a girl wants to be a BG, because she likes this job for the sake of the job, then she could be indeed an intelligent BG. But from my experience, most BGs don't like their job. So I do claim, if they were really intelligent they would know how to improve their life without being a BG and hoping to catch a rich husband.

Why are poor girls doing this job?

Some because they have to take care of their child. But then I ask you: if they were intelligent why do they have a child without being able to take care of it? Why did they marry a man which can't take care of them?

If intelligence is the ability to make the right conclusions, so why are most BGs not able to avoid their situation in the first place?

So if you show me a BG who really likes her job, then I will test if she might be intelligent.

artistically intelligent

This is just a creation of fashion. You don't have to be intelligent to be a great artist. As proove ad absurdum: Is a 100 m sprint champion physically intelligent? Then you can call everyone intelligent, or, if you are intelligent, you would just forget this word.

Did you do this to a satisfactory result;compile and analyze the neccessary data points?

Yes, I did.

By the way, I didn't say that BGs are less intelligent than most of the population. I just said that they are not VERY intelligent.

Best regards

For me, intelligence is the ability to learn to take what life gives you and make the best out of any situation without harming others.

I agree... almost. "without harming others" has nothing to do with intelligence.

Best regards

Archived