Real Pizza !

New Petchburi Pete

I love Kosher Deli's too.

I forget the name of the place; but somehwere along the Boston/Brookline border was a fantasic Kosher Deli ... and, yes, the sandwiches (corned beef, brisket, etc.) were definitely the biggest I've ever seen, & the quality of everything they served was tremendous! :bow:

Now, you've made me hungry!!! ... and, I wish I could remember the name of that Deli :banghead: that's what I could go for!

When I was living in Boston (I could walk to Fenway Park ... but then, in my younger days I'd walk from the Fenway area all the way to the old Haymarket ... before Quincy Market was built!), we hit that Deli almost every sunday for a brunch/lunch ... we left so stuffed; but, then their excellent & very friendly staff wouldn't have it any other way ... what service! It's hard to find that today ... unless they're still there,

which they may very well be. :dunno:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well having spent more than 30 years mucking about in Asia ... there were always some cravings you could never satisfy. Mine two top ones were a Kosher Corned Beef Sandwich, and a real Dill Pickle (lactically fermented).

Stuff I lived on in my younger days .............. still a challenge to find ........ most places ........ but I have my sources. :grinyes::beer:

Pete

I think the deli you speak of in Brookline is Rubins, on Harvard St. They are good, but $10.00 for a pastrami on a bulky?? I don't think so!!

For about 15 years, in the '80s and early '90s all the pizza shops around Boston seemed to be owned by Greeks who all bought their lousy canned sauce from the same source. Some decent places have finally reappeared, but Pepinas is a regular stop for me as well.

Those so called "gormet" pizzas sold in many of the trendy upscale restaruants just don't do for me.

Now, if only you could get a good pastrami on a roll with swiss in BKK!!

dj

Says dddave:

Pete

Now, if only you could get a good pastrami on a roll with swiss in BKK!!

dj

:nono: Now that's not Kosher. :grinyes:

Damn good though.

So the restaurant menu is coming along;

Good Pizza

Pastrami and Corned beef

Clam Chowda ( no f***ing tomatoes)

shall we add a proper BURGER...... gotta be.

now how are we going to feed your Thai companion ? ...... why an indoor Noodle stand of course :grinyes:

Yeah, I remember all those Greek places. Too much tasteless cheese and plain tomato sauce. The way you could easily tell them apart was they invariably called themselves "House of Pizza." A friend of mine owned Boston House of Pizza across from Northeastern University which was OK for Greek pizza.

I actually paused in writing this as my own pie just arrived and I had to have a slice and get one for my son. Simple pepperoni and onion, Mmmmm.

Have yet to see anything resembling a decent pie in Thailand.

Says Big_Kahuna:

Yes, Madrid Bar. Excellent pizza.

I have been a patron there for decades ...... but I still don't see what is so great about their Pizza. Guess that's sacrilage. :cover:

Says rovineye:

Says LaoHuLi:

Says Big_Kahuna:

I have been a patron there for decades ...... :

Ahh, LHL, the patron saint of pizza!
:bow:

It ain't the Pizza I go there for. :hubba: :rolleyes:

...You barsteward!

Now I want corned beef hash to go with my eggs tomorrow morning.

In Thailand anyway, one cannot find a nice hunk of prime rib (American style).

My wife loves those Listerine Pocket Pak Breath Strips. They look like little pieces of tissue paper but are mints you lay on your tongue.

And that lovely Chili-Garlic chili sauce you can buy in the States. It is from a Vietnamese company in LA. Comes in a clear jar with a green top and has a chicken on it. Not sweet like the chili sauces here.

Real Mexican food. Why can no one make that? Like pizza, how hard can it be?

Ground turkey to use in pad gra-pow (makes the best taste of this dish) and other things. Pork or chicken is OK, but turkey is better.

OK, I'm finished. I've been in Asia for the best part of 15 years. I still have no plans to go back to the States for more than a month even tho' I can't get any of the above!

Cheers,

SD

Archived