Real Pizza !

New Petchburi Pete

Yes, I'm enjoying real pizza - in the Boston area! ... sorry if I got your hopes up. :cover:

I'll be returning soon ... hopefully before Halloween ... I wish I could bring a few dozen back so we could have a party with real pizza. I've had the real thing in Boston, etc. ... for my taste buds, the best is actually in Malden on Rt. 99 (Broadway) ... at L'il Papina's (Pepe is from Naples). I tried to talk Pepe into opening a shop in BKK; but, not possible at this time. ::

Oh, also I've had real clam 'chowdah.' ... I forgot how good the real thing is. ... and, that's without ruining it with tomato sauce as they do in New York city ... I will admit that there is also great pizza in New York ... that's where I had my first slice after crawling off the plane from Seoul. Soon, the reality will sink in; and, I'll begin scouring BKK/LOS for something better than Pizza Hut ... yes, I admit that I fall for this sometimes ... but, I'll blame the Mrs. for that, since she's yet to taste the 'real deal.' Maybe I'll try what Stick describes as gourmet pizza at Boubon St. :dunno:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bella Napoli on Sukhumvit Soi 39 is excellent, serving thin crusted Naples style pizzas for 200 baht. The antipasti kind of suck so stick with the pizza. The clientele when I went there was all Thai hiso types chowing down, drinking and making a lot of noise - quite different from the typical Bangkok atmosphere.

So let's get to the root of this problem.

I have had Bella's pizza, and a few others in LOS that are good. But I always have to throw in a disclaimer. Good for Thailand.

Why, oh why can't a great world class pizza be made in LOS?

It can't be the crust. That is just too easy really. And a few do get that right. (Thin Sicilian crisp, for me!).

The sauce. Again, not so difficult. I make better sauce at home in 15 min than I ever had in LOS. Maybe the tomatoes are the problem. But canned tomatoes work fine. Rarely a good sauce in Thailand.

The cheese? Hell, I don't know what they use. Maybe this is the problem.

Toppings. Big problem here. Either they put on way too much stuff (AMerican style) making the whole pie a soggy mess or must overcook the crust to hold up under the weight. I like mine simple, a few calamata olives, green pepper or onions, and maybe pepperoini. Not sliced hot dogs and chicken chunks etc.

Cooking. I do not know if any in BKK are wood fired, as I like. But even if not, places like Soi Dogs certainly had hot enough ovens. I would watch them cook pies outside and the oven was up to temp from the start.

My opinion is that farangs are so fucking cheap in LOS that there is no way for the restaurant to provide a good pizza. They would need to import the tomatoes, cheese, olive oil, pepperoni, olives, flour (I assume). So when all is done, no way to provide a good pie for the few hundred baht demanded.

No big deal for me. I only eat pizza there when someone I am around is jonesing for a slice. If I lived there, that would be another matter.

Happy pizza in Cambo may be happy, but was not very tasty either.

Archived