London Contingent - Running Report 2004

carew66

Yep,

I don't think there is anything comparable to Angkor Wat neither in Asia nor in other parts of the world. :up: - I haven't seen much of Thailand yet, but to my knowledge there is nothing in SE Asia which will come close to Angkor, speaking of religious architecture of course - The only thing which impressed me almost equally, but at the same time in a complete different way is the stone garden of the Ryoanji Temple in Kyoto, but this place is only a few square meters while Angkor is a few square kilometers!

Go now! In a few years everything will be fenced in and overcrowded. The government is currently planning to increase tourism from 300.000 to 1.000.000 visitors a year.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angkor wat is awesome, I was lucky to be there when most temples had no one but me in them (save the Bayon and Angkor wat itself). Banteay Srei had some incredible murals, and the girls were just so beautiful (I mean, the apsaras).

Still, for moments of sheer magic, the Shwedagon at sunset in Yangoon is one of the most beautiful moments in my trips. Not just the golden spire, The Burmese strolling around leisurely helped to make it so too.

(for Thailand, see new thread in A&C section)

'Ere! This is all getting a bit cultural innit?

I'm rushing at the moment so just a quickie.

The Village Idiot continues to amuse and bemuse. Yesterday I saw him staggering up the road. ..

"Are you pissed already VI?", I said to the shambling wreck that is our erstwhile companion.

"Nah, I'm feeling really rough from last night. My kidneys are hurting. I'm going to get some medicine".

Fair enough I think as I see him disappear into 7-11 (Beep-Boop).

5 minutes later he comes out again clutching:

1 bottle of Samsung (or summat like that - that 'orrible whisky/rum stuff).

1 bottle of Coke

3 plastic glasses.

"medicine eh?", I said.

"Yerrr...it's MY medicine", says the VI and then he toddled off across the road, sat down in a deckchair and began his 'treatment'.

-----------------------------

Graffito in the toilets in Walking Street - "Some are good - Some are bad"

Profound eh?

--------------------------------------------

Saddest banner seen in a bar - a Union Flag pinned to the roof with 'Tring Army' on it! Oooh - ooh! The mean inner-city streets of Hertfordshire eh? LOL!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Fuckspud award last night: This is awarded to the twats that had a fight with each other in Walking Street. Jesus H Christ on a Honda. Why? She is NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND OK?

--------------------------------------------------

Ib13 - Marine was hot last night but I left very early and checked out the Peppermint next door. That's what I call a chill-out room! I thought it an excellent go-go (not that I'm any kind of expert or anything).

Finally a Warning!

BEWARE OF THE TAXI DRIVER!!!!!!

Only joking right - but get this...

Last week I was in a taxi from Don Muang to Soi 4 having just got in from Samui. The driver is a cheerful enough chap and says to me, "You like Beatles?".

Well, of course I like the Beatles. Everyone likes the Beatles (apart from Pete Best) so I reply in the affirmative.

So, he slots a cassette in.

'Ticket to Ride', 'She Loves You, 'Yesterday' fills the inside of the car. Bliss.

Then suddenly I had a thought. I turned to the driver and said "Hey, my friend, whatever you do, don't play Ticket to Ride to any falang who is going to the airport on his way back to falang land. They will be very upset I think"

He looks at me, smiles and says "Every time I play this on way to airport and sometimes they cry'

What an utter, utter bastard! So, chaps - beware of the taxi driving Beatles fan. He's gonna fuck with your head!

I think I'm gonna be sad, I think it's today - Yeah!

-------------------------------------------------

Okay. Enough for now. Rsuty and N400 and Leotex are in town.

Tonight, we will be meeting Khun Kong , Alholk will also be there. It's like the AGM all over again.

Guest lazyphil

Only been once. The mrs left me at Aranaya train station(Cambo border) then pick-up truck to Siem Reap (never again!!)--had three days at Angkor (go one day!) then down the river to PP which was amazing in itself and a few days in PP (got my visa)--shooting range--Tuel Sleng--killing fields-- (no brothels--looked very mangy!) woke up one morning a thought times up and in almost exactly 36 hours (non stop) via buses, swamp boats, motobike taxis, ferrys and more buses was back in Patong/Phuket with the mrs--had a great adventure but it was a pretty lonely trip.

>> n almost exactly 36 hours (non stop) via buses, swamp boats, motobike taxis, ferrys and more buses was back in Patong/Phuket<<

LOL,

nowadays they even have a biz-lounge in PNH airport (and of course wireless lan etc.).

Regarding the brothels, I have never been such a great fan, but I have been there from time to time (not on a daily basis though). My fave hunting-grounds are Sharky's/ Martinis, the diddling bars, Walkabout/ Heart/ Shanghai bar. I think, I should make it to Siem Riep the next time.

Guest lazyphil

Yeah if I go again I'd fly (i wasn't so flush of money back then :rolleyes:) but I fancied the backpacker route just once and it was quite fun on reflection--but very knackering--still lots of dust in my old kit bag from that pickup ride to Siem reap!--btw Siem Reap is very nice and well worth checking out.

Archived