Farang journey

MaiLuk

MaiLuk said:

Alot of farang come here just for sex, not love/belonging. Then you have retirees, alot of whom were married for 20 years or more and have raised kids to adults. They have a 'maturity' that goes beyond their tg's realm of experience. Their not hooking up with tgs because they had no love or sense of belonging. Something else at work here.

My point exactly. If Mr Farang just barfines her, goes ST/LT, then moves on, clearly this is irrelevant to his position on his pyramid. Whether he is higher or lower than level 3 doesn't matter, as it's not a "love/belonging" related action. If she becomes his GF, then it is.

:devil::beer::devil:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we are all on an evolutionary journey. I know that sounds a bit wankey but I reckon it accounts for many participants on this board and similar ones a la some sort of 'magic' life in Thailand.

The Alcoholics Anonymous organisation have a maxim along the lines of: God give me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things i can't change and the wisdom to know the difference.

Believe me, meditation really works and can create changes in you from day one. We're all seeking happiness. There are ways there. Thank Christ/Buddha. I am an atheist by the way.

Hi,

People with Western theories must be cautious in judging other people with their standards. What considerred "civilized" may not be so in other parts of the world.

Self Actualization does not mean "material gain" to many people, including me. It means (amongst other things) self-satisfied and inner peace.

Perhaps Mr Farang mentioned is not really in the high echelon in self as thought, why choosing such Thais from "low" echelon then, perhaps to fullfill the "inner" needs?

I do agree that people struggle to survive, do not think beyond their stamachs, but do you really feel that MOST Thais are such? I feel that most Thais met by "farrangs" may be poor in the Western standard, but hungry, I don't think so. What most these people want is to improve thier financial status and they are doing it in the ways they know.

Jasmine

People with Western theories must be cautious in judging other people with their standards

I believe in universal standards (for example human rights). And you Jasmine?

Self Actualization does not mean "material gain" to many people, including me.

I don't think that self actualization means material gain to anyone. Maybe you missunderstand us farangs?

What most these people want is to improve thier financial status and they are doing it in the ways they know.

So you say exactly the same as the other posters. Many thais are searching for security (the second step) and love (the third step). Most farangs don't have to search for security, because the security is granted by the state. (health care, pensions, ...)

By the way, I don't agree with this theory, because you can easily search different goals in the same time. (I am single and looking for love, :o, but I also self actualize me. Actually this last step is much easier, because you can do it by yourself.)

Best regards

6. Self Actualization ( Being all that you can be )

So it is impossible to reach this 6. step, because you will never be all that you could be. (Unless you don't have much potential)

Best regards

>>>I believe in universal standards (for example human rights). <<<

things have to still be taken in cultural perspective. human rights is a nice ideal, but unfortunately no place on earth is free of violations.

>>>I don't think that self actualization means material gain to anyone.<<<

some posters in this thread here have already confused that issue.

>>>but I also self actualize me. Actually this last step is much easier, because you can do it by yourself.)<<<

i think you do misunderstand the term "selfactualisation". you should have a look into the interdependency theories in buddhism. nothing is one by oneself.

naiv said:

dvarpala said:6. Self Actualization ( Being all that you can be )

So it is impossible to reach this 6. step, because you will never be all that you could be. (Unless you don't have much potential)

I wouldn't go as far as impossible, but I would agree that it's extremely rare.

Ghandi, Mother Theresa, and the like might have managed it.

:devil::beer::devil:

Ghandi, Mother Theresa, and the like might have managed it.

I don't think so! Mother Theresa, for example, could probably have become a very good CEO of a multinational. (I don't know.) But she chose another way of life.

What I am trying to say is: Some (most) persons have many skills and then there will never be enough time or possibilities to develop every skill to the fullest. One has to decide which skill one wants to develop.

Or to say it in another way: For persons with less skills it is much more easy to be all that they can be, whereas for persons with many skills it is just impossible.

So trying to be all that you could be is a stupid goal.

Best regards

i think you do misunderstand the term "selfactualisation". you should have a look into the interdependency theories in buddhism. nothing is one by oneself.

No, I haven't missunderstood "selfactualisation". And whereas you are right that nothing is one by oneself, your conclusion is faulty. Even if you can't exist by yourself, it doesn't mean that you can't reach "selfactualisation" by yourself. Actually it is the centerpiece of buddhism, as I understand it, that everyone is, in principle, able to reach the state of ultime wisdom (nirvana) by himself, without any guide or god or whatever. (A guide could be a help, but isn't necessary).

Nirvane is in yourself, it doesn't come from outside. And you can reach nirvana independent from external circumstances.

Once that you reach the state of peace with yourself and the world, as Buddha, your peace can't be destroied by the outside world.

Just an example: You can love a person independent from their love. Your love for the other doesn't exist without the other person but it is your decision to love. Even if the other person hates you, hurts you, it is still your decision to love. Nobody, no god, no circumstance can decide for you. (They might influence you, depending how near of "nirvana" you are).

Best regards

Archived