Farang journey

MaiLuk

[color:"red"]I believe in universal standards (for example human rights). And you Jasmine?

[/color]

I do believe that certain things should be universal. However, culture and customs play big parts in making people different. One country standards cannot be used as other's, IMO.

There are times that I feel becuase of this so-called "universal standards" are pushed too far and because of it, we do have conflicts in the world. If we can respect other beliefs and culture, perhaps, we can try to understand other people better and try to convince instead of acting like a cow-boy to get things "my ways", we can communicate better, and that is IMO from a dreamer like me.

Jasmine ::

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] you should have a look into the interdependency theories in buddhism. nothing is one by oneself.

[/color]

Very good statement my friend. :hug: I do believe also that we all need each other and all things have causes and effects. Sometimes things are a bit beyond me to understand and I just let them go without understnading but I still do believe that ther has got to be a reason.

Jasmine :)

Perhaps Mr Farang mentioned is not really in the high echelon in self as thought, why choosing such Thais from "low" echelon then, perhaps to fullfill the "inner" needs?

This is the heart of the matter. Many farang (and thais) would avoid tgs from the 'lower' end of the social scale, but Mr Farang does the opposite so what is wrong with him.

People with Western theories must be cautious in judging other people with their standards.

I would say maslow's theory is almost the opposite of eastern thinking.

If Mr Farang just barfines her, goes ST/LT, then moves on, clearly this is irrelevant to his position on his pyramid. Whether he is higher or lower than level 3 doesn't matter, as it's not a "love/belonging" related action. If she becomes his GF, then it is.

My sense of level 3 on the pyramid is that if one feels entirely loved and accepted and has a role in some important 'group', whether its family, the neighborhood or the tribe, then the needs of love and belonging have been met.

If one is alienated or feels outside the group, then a need to belong and be loved becomes the burning focus of his/her life. The pursuit of that need, tho the pursuit itself is not readily apparent to the individual doing the pursuing, precludes the possibility of actualization.

I'm not married to maslow's pyramid but i'll defend his theory for awhile. A person who is an absolute loner can achieve actualization, but only if he met his need to be completely accepted by whatever group was important to him in the past. Once he achieved that sense of belonging his psyche developed in such a way that he no longer equates his self worth on whether he is accepted by the current group.

He has moved to the next step.

The need represented by this step should not be underestimated. For most of human evolution, being outside the group meant certain death.

MaiLuk said:

My sense of level 3 on the pyramid is that if one feels entirely loved and accepted and has a role in some important 'group', whether its family, the neighborhood or the tribe, then the needs of love and belonging have been met.

If one is alienated or feels outside the group, then a need to belong and be loved becomes the burning focus of his/her life. The pursuit of that need, tho the pursuit itself is not readily apparent to the individual doing the pursuing, precludes the possibility of actualization.

An excellent explanation - this is spot on! The Thai / Farang thing is not the point here, it's the relationship that counts.

:beer:

MaiLuk said:

But, I do live with an ex-bg since two years and for sure, we are at different levels in Maslow's pyramid, so what???

Surprised you think you and she are at a different level...

Good point you make Mailuk.

I don't care much for housing, food or money, I have no need to "own" a house, she does have these basic needs, but we do define and work for happiness at levels 4 and 5 of dear Maslov.

This "I want a house" thing unnerves me quite often at times...

I would say her concerns are broader on Maslov's scale ::

this so-called "universal standards" are pushed too far

I agree with you. Not every standard called "universal" is really universal. But I believe that there are universal standards (which are complicated and networked enough to take into account any cultural or other differences).

Best regards

Archived