Prediction of Mar 1 outcome regarding closing time

Belem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No - On Feb 6th the Govt will announce the findings of investigations by Purchai relating to what their strategy will be on entertainment venues.

This is following on from the 13th Jan announcements where they did not fully agree with the midnight closing as a way of tackling underage drinking, drug taking etc etc and wanted to set up a group to look at this in more detail and work out the effects of doing so, which they already acknowledged could be negative.

As the govt mainly Thaksin publically claimed that they did not think early closing was the correct solution, it would be kind of bizaare for them to come to that conclusion 3 weeks later and undermine their face, whilst making Thaksin look as if he lost the debate with the Muslim cabinet member he is blaming for the stuff in the south.

The stuff in Pattaya is all based upon this Feb 6th announcement enforcing the midnight closing. Until that announcement nothing is definitely happening either way.

There appears to be a lot of scaremongering as there was prior to the 13th Jan announcement, I'd be surprised if there is a straight answer on 6th Feb, perhaps hiding behind chickens will be the next tactic ;-)

This makes sense. I haven't seen anything suggesting that a decision has been made yet, and for the reasons you give it seems unlikely that they would be enforcing early closing times now.

LOL! You have lived here long enough to know that nothing more will be said on this subject ;). It became a non-issue when Toxin made is about face and told them to think about it.

(For the benefit of others as I know you know this)

Cheers,

SD

Depends upon the license of the establishment. Remember, there are many different kinds of licenses and some licenses require closing at 0000 (i.e., most bars without a food or enterainment rider on their license). Maybe enforcement is new, but the rules are old. But this enforcement did not come from a new law as was proposed.

Let me guess, in the Thonglor district, right?

Cheers,

SD

Suadam that was the point i was gonna make, Thonglor has some other sh*t going on right now, but as suspected the Feb 6th announcement has sort of "vanished", in papers today there was talk of 10pm curfews for young people and additional policing on the streets, this may be the "new" approach. Prior to Jan 13th announcement there were alot of column inches dedicated to this topic, I cannot find anything at all today in the press, which I would take as a positive for now. Next milestone if nothing appears in the next few days will be 1st March, so here's hoping. I hear Pattaya is going late night in many establishments as is Patong. Also the 2am closing with a few exceptions also seems to stand in BKK right now, apart from some sporadic stuff in Thonglor. Also has'nt Thaksin banned himself from talking to the press for a week !!

Archived