Is the feel of the board changing?

khunsanuk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GawGuy,

Well done here, taking all quotes totally out of context, especially considering that you only reply here on instructions of another poster.

I will not reply to the contents of your post, I did that then in the thread, and this is not the place. nor the subject at hand.

Cheers !

Oh man,

I already regret linking to this thread. :doah: It was my intention to link to a thread so people could see for themselves what the fuss is all about.

It was certainly not meant to open a can of worms and start the whole discussion over again. Quoting out of context doesn't help anybody IMO, let the thread speak for it self.

Cheers,

soongmak

I wouldn't want this to get sidetracked and I'm no expert but I think what people generally mean when they refer to PC tendencies on this board is the attempt by one group of people to prohibit the free expression of another on the basis of taste (something which, in itself, is in the eye of the beholder).

If you find your post insulted or made little of on the basis of something which offends someone's perception of what is right and correct behaviour then it's fair to call that a case of political correctness going to an extreme.

We all exercise political correctness to some degree. We all have areas that make us feel uncomfortable. I would be quick to distance myself from plenty of people who's views I find extreme or harmful. It's when those alarm bells get set off by an opinion or view that isn't harming anyone that we should beware.

Generally speaking I think that on an adult board everyone should be responsible for their own posts. There are already some clearly stated rules about areas we cannot go, and which, I hope, we wouldn't want to. But I think virtually anything else is a matter of free expression.

If someone says something about their intimate experiences in a short time hotel room and uses certain kinds of language to describe this they may be guilty of bad taste or misjudgement. But that's all. To slate them for this publicly and not in a friendly private message is, to my mind, an act of self aggrandisement far worse than boasting about sexual conquests. It's public humiliation.

I'm not here all that much which is why I resigned as moderator. I just don't have the time to keep abreast of everything that goes on. But I've seen attempts at public humiliation more than a couple of times. And it's most often been a case of someone taking an aspect of someone else's post and using it to bash them over the heads. It's rarely as open as saying "You, my good sir, are an ignoramous." Although, on occasion, that happens too. More often it's "the opinions in this post display a quite incredible ignorance". When this is being applied by those who have grown out of seeing hookers to those who are still seeing hookers it comes across as a kind of PC high-handedness.

I can see how this must be a temptation... Just as it is a temptation for all dieters to attack the still fat and all ex smokers to attack those still lighting up... But given the nature of this board it never sits well with me.

>>>>>I believe this is why Soonmak referenced Zane May's thread as an example of a poster being flamed.

But when ZM protested, the moderator even made the claim that he hadn't been flamed! <<<<

WTF are you bringing me into the discussion here???

and to answer on your point - even though a lot of the board is dealing with different aspects of the nightlife it doesn't mean that it has to disintegrate into a cheap charly sextourist mutual appreciation society (which i would call as the hight of PC - not being able anymore to criticise anything).

so, read the original post (and others of our own mr.fight for your baht), look at the enormous amount of factional rubbish he posts and you might understand what inspired m to my comment.

and, anyhow, i am not a moderator (neither do i aspire to be one). more than a few times i was in trouble with the moderators here for the one or the other reason, so i am just like any other regular poster here.

I wouldn't want this to get sidetracked and I'm no expert but I think what people generally mean when they refer to PC tendencies on this board is the attempt by one group of people to prohibit the free expression of another on the basis of taste (something which, in itself, is in the eye of the beholder).

[color:"red"]and I thought taste was the only thing 'not' included in PC [/color]

If you find your post insulted or made little of on the basis of something which offends someone's perception of what is right and correct behaviour then it's fair to call that a case of political correctness going to an extreme.

We all exercise political correctness to some degree. We all have areas that make us feel uncomfortable. I would be quick to distance myself from plenty of people who's views I find extreme or harmful. It's when those alarm bells get set off by an opinion or view that isn't harming anyone that we should beware.

[color:"red"]but then dont you define PC just for yourself, i.e. you select exactly for yourself what you find PC or not ? [/color]

Generally speaking I think that on an adult board everyone should be responsible for their own posts. There are already some clearly stated rules about areas we cannot go, and which, I hope, we wouldn't want to. But I think virtually anything else is a matter of free expression.

[color:"red"]But it still is a publuc board, whatever one post here is open to criticism, positive AND negative, I mean if you cannot stand the heat then..... [/color]

If someone says something about their intimate experiences in a short time hotel room and uses certain kinds of language to describe this they may be guilty of bad taste or misjudgement. But that's all. To slate them for this publicly and not in a friendly private message is, to my mind, an act of self aggrandisement far worse than boasting about sexual conquests. It's public humiliation.

[color:"red"]true, but to go further in your example, he that poster also publicises or advocates the non-use of condom ( used by me earlier as an example ) then PC has nothing to do with all replies sais poster would get. [/color]

I'm not here all that much which is why I resigned as moderator. I just don't have the time to keep abreast of everything that goes on. But I've seen attempts at public humiliation more than a couple of times. And it's most often been a case of someone taking an aspect of someone else's post and using it to bash them over the heads. It's rarely as open as saying "You, my good sir, are an ignoramous." Although, on occasion, that happens too. More often it's "the opinions in this post display a quite incredible ignorance". When this is being applied by those who have grown out of seeing hookers to those who are still seeing hookers it comes across as a kind of PC high-handedness.

[color:"red"]I am sorry that you resigned, I was not aware of this, when did that happen ? [/color]

I can see how this must be a temptation... Just as it is a temptation for all dieters to attack the still fat and all ex smokers to attack those still lighting up... But given the nature of this board it never sits well with me.

[color:"red"]here you are mixing up your arguments..... :dunno: [/color]

Cheers !

soongmak said:

JJ,

You call this a bad example. I think this is exactly the kind of thread that has the anti-pc brigade on its feet. Care to come up with another one that better fits the bill?

Cheers,

soongmak

They are bad examples because they have nothing to do with PC. They see to me to more in the flaming category rather than the PC brigade and definitely have nothing to do with anti-P4P.

Archived