Is the feel of the board changing?

khunsanuk

Of course the feel of the board is changing. It changes with each additional member. It's funny because I was thinking the same thing and then you posted this.

There are several factors that are outside of your control:

Thailand is changing

A more diverse crowd is visiting

Seems to me that you are reaching out to the right people and you already have your answer. Right now users ratings are basically numerical [excetion being the people who donated from the server and have the jai dee characterization]

Now I agree with you that the board needs moderation. I have never felt that I was 'moderated' unfairly, but I have wanted to at times flag a user or two for 'consistantly posting bullshit' or 'always sounding like a dickhead while posting'. With flaming outlawed there is no real way to know who is a 'valued member of the community who should be listened to' and who is a 'complete bastard whos comments/attitude are crap'

Look at ebays feedback ratings. Maybe if there was a way to view a post and rate that member. I'm sure members like stickman, sarasin, jj sushi, fiery jack, old hippy and others would all score high on the ratings. This rating could be a moving average and would provide a chance for everyone reading the posts to chime in and give credibility to a poster or knock him down a peg or two.

It would be a peer review and make the board more interactive. You could even assign moderation abilities to those who are in the top ?%. Should that person prove to be a good moderator he/she stays. If they wield too much power their rating dips and they must learn their lesson.

I for one have been racking my brain to help you. This board has been very good to me and I would hate to see it go south.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another suggestion could be to add a little forum for the women on the board. I notice that the women on this board RESPOND to posts rather than CREATE threads on their own. Maybe they don't feel like they can start a thread that would interest the predominantly male readership on this board? I have found some posts by women to be very insightful once they realize that all of us here have an interest outside of 500bt ST's and we won't flame them. Many of the women post in the Relationships forum and I would like to see more of them post there too.

Maybe giving them their own section to talk about their issues would then encourage a better exchange of views from all. Would definitely provide the men here with a better perspective on Thai life and living from the female viewpoint. Maybe then they would feel more comfortable posting to the other forums. I would encourage more protective moderation initially to avoid some guys from turning it into a piss taking forum.

The readership and topics have definitely changed in the past 2 years and the board has evolved well beyond a "WHORE"mongers haven.

I visit thaivisa.com for news and I've also started to use their forum a little.

I find that this message board is relatively heavily censored. We can't discuss Thaksin's policies / Simple questions about the royal family/ G.W Bush and so on.

:cover:

Thaivisa.com actually has a forum entitled 'The Bear Pit', dedicated to discussing Thai and international politics.

You can discuss Thaksin's policies, regional politics and you can even get away with discussing America! ::

All without getting your thread locked! :)

This is board policy I know... but these are things I like to discuss so I post here just a little less these days.

Fidel said:

I visit thaivisa.com for news and I've also started to use their forum a little.

I find that this message board is relatively heavily censored. We can't discuss Thaksin's policies / Simple questions about the royal family/ G.W Bush and so on.

I've lurked here a long time, posted a little bit now and then. I've been a thaivisa.com member since last summer and posted quite a lot since then. Yes, there is a certain amount of paranoia associated with the thaivisa.com board and its moderators occasionally display nowhere near the level of professionalism found here. However, I like the more loose environment that board allows.

While I understand this board's policy of not allowing certain topics and respect the moderators for sticking with the policy, I think it's really difficult to discuss what's going on in Thailand today without being able to touch upon the politics involved. For instance, a discussion of the proposed midnight entertainment venue closing time without also analyzing its political element is half a discussion.

As a retired member, may be I should give my two cents worth too. ;)

Yep, I think the board has changed. There are "things", I would prefer to discuss/ address to KS via PM (what I have already done), but besides these, there is IMO a somewhat open stance and tendency from the PC-coalition (members and moderators) to rant against the ones, that are into the nightlife-scene. Why is there a reason to rant against the ones who are into these things? Some people like visiting the temples, while others prefer having a beer in AW and there is nothing wrong with it. Everybody to his own. As long as P4P is a valid topic on this board, reducing these things will help a lot.

Regarding the nightlife-section, IMO, it has dramatically declined. For me, I do not find the information I need for having a good time. For these things, I have to look elsewhere (Bangkoktonight, Nanapong or on private forums) and that was in former days not the case. Very good posters are gone or have been driven away and there is nobody, who actively promotes this forum ("Nightlife is my baby") while the Non-P4P-areas have these members (Pattaya127 for example). But a solution is not easy. Good contributors with the time, skills, knowledge and contacts and contributers that still really go out and make their own experiences do not fall from the trees. May be, the one or the other member can use his personal contacts to get the contributers back.

And I also miss many good topics, that are discussed on other boards and it is a pleasure (positively) to follow the discussions (for example discussions about the Cambo-article in the NY-times, that was discussed on every Cambo-board and many other good Thai boards but here it was a no-no). I understand and second, that for politics the CNN.COM-forum is the right place, but a more open policy regarding discussing these subjects in the open forum would definitely help.

I understand, that this board has a more general approach and there are many specialized boards around, that are much better and deeper for every subject (especially nightlife), but quality does not hurt and will most probably generate more members without driving away others.

"there is IMO a somewhat open stance and tendency from the PC-coalition (members and moderators) to rant against the ones, that are into the nightlife-scene"

This is one of several posts in this thread (and the whore thread) that have made this claim of rants and flames by a PC/anti p4p coalition. Can somebody give me examples of this? :dunno:

TH

Archived