Is the feel of the board changing?

khunsanuk

JJ,

Will agree with you that many of the Thai Chinese chicks are really shrews and that many of the Thai men really know how to sweet talk the gals....and Fly yes in the traditional house the woman controls the money.....as far as the kowtowing this is a VERY recent phenomenon......due in part to the gals exposure to Western media :(

GS

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy the board mostly the way it is, there is a good mix of people here from all walks of life with different experiences.

One thing I do not do is post much, more of a lurker, not because I do not feel I can contribute, but because of my own internal back and fro about whether I am belong here, but it is hard to stay away from the board for more than a few days, so I remain connected to it.

Sure it has changed over the past few years, but in a good way maturing along with it's users. I check the board everyday, seeing it's been years since my last trip and will be another year before my next prolonged trip to Thailand so this is my fix. The board is laid out in a way that users (even newbies), can easily post questions without enraging the old timers on the board. I have seen certain personalities dominate the board, however they also have changed over a period of time (mostly from the trip report posters). The moderators do a great job, that's why this board works so well for a variety of people, sure there are times people (moderators included) become overzealous i.e. when certain verbiage is used, however it seems to work it's self out. It's all how we approach this thing, as someone right now is testing the waters asking a question about verbiage, knowing some will take it seriously others laugh it off. This board is the best thing going about Thailand since sliced bread, don't change much if you change anything at all. :nono:

About the Newbie section.

Perhaps it would be better on its own rather than as a subsection.

After all, if the point is to get Newbies to ask questions in one place shouldnt it be as easy as possible to find?

i.e. not

Nightlife

- General Nightlife

- Newbies

- Trip Reports

- Regional Sanuk

but

Nightlife

- General Nightlife

- Trip Reports

- Regional Sanuk

Newbies

and they could ask all their questions in there. Otherwise they might get lost and not know there is a Newbie section.

Otherwise they might get lost and not know there is a Newbie section.

I agree, IMO it doesn't make sense to put a newbie section in nightlife. What about newbies who have questions which are not related to the nightlife?

Best regards

I just posted this as part of reply to responses about my last Trip Report and thought I would like to put it here too:

I think it is most inappropriate for a moderator from one forum to roam through other forums flaming people they don't ike. It makes it difficult for one to use that person's forum. Let us say, as a hypothetical example, that Ernie puts up a trip report and OMy, a moderator of the Health Forum, comes over to write five or six punishing critiques of Ernie, his opinions and doings, using very personal terms like "lowlife." This compromises OMy's credibility as a moderator (and reflects badly on moderators in general.)

More important, if Ernie has a health issue for which he needs intelligent feedback, it is impossible for him to seek it in the health forum, the domain of someone who apparently hates him. His health need is still as worthy as anyone else's on the board. (The names of the people and the forum have been changed.)

Peace,

Zane

Archived