"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

Yes, I think most would agree, Thailand is a shithole. Many of the people around you are in poverity and struggling hard to survive. I suppose when the novelity of Thailand wears off, waking up early every morning to work for 40K Baht a month would seem pretty lame. Yes, you are better off in Europe or back in the US where you can make more money and get benefits. I think most of us would also agree that Thailand has a lot to offer (slower pace of life, lots of available girls, party life, etc.) or those crazy Farangs would not live there.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I have noticed about Thailand is that it caters to all financial brackets. In Bangkok you have the fancy hostess bars and five star serviced apartments.

I don't need all that.

I can live in Pattaya in a modern condo, barfine two or three times per week, return to Australia one a year, take visa run sidetrips to The Philiippines, Cambodia or Vietnam every three months for 700,000 baht per year.

I have been enough times now to know that it would a nice lifestyle for one person.

This is provided you can occupy your time productively. I have always thought that this would be the hard part for a person who is used to getting up in the morning and going to work.

I think that if someone cannot be happy here on 40,000 baht a month, then that person is in need of certain amenities that only a more Western salary can provide and really should live somewhere else. That's not a slam, that's just saying that for people who don't need all that much, Bangkok is still a great place. There was a submission in this week's stickman from a farang who still likes Thailand, and he pointed out that it's a great base from which to reach other SE Asian destinations, too, for short vacations.

whosyourdaddy said:

Many people that I know are jumping ship.

Hi whd,

This was a theme in the Stickman column a couple of weeks ago. I don't question your own personal experience - or Stickman's - but mine is exactly the opposite. I know quite a few people by now - been here over three years - and not one of them is thinking of leaving. Some are having houses built up-country - obviously a serious decision to stay permanently.

As for myself, I agree Bangkok is a shithole, but I have got used to it and have no intention of going anywhere else.

Khwai

whosyourdaddy said:

Second it.

Bangkok has no culture at all. Once you have seen one temple you have seen them all. There is no appreciation for the arts

I think you mean no western culture, if you want that go and live in Paris like the original poster. Bangkok does not have lots of art galleries, opera or the theatre but there is plenty of thai culture to be enjoyed.-peter

" .... go through the best bookstores in the world ...

Any advice available where these hidden treasures can be found ?

Currently assembling a reasonable collection of illegally exported Buddha images and tried to find some literature . Even been to the Chula bookshop : no supply. Need something about Burma/Cambo/Lao Buddhas. Written in English , not in Khmer hilltribe.

Kinokuniya in The Emporium is possibly the best bookshop in Thailand. They might order for you, Asia Books, too, if you have a specific title in mind. Would there be any such books around Khao San Road?

If that disgruntled poster is really a farang woman, she might just be sexually frustrated. Really! Farang chicks are often all keen on getting in tune with the locals, etc., but then become disenchanted quickly when A) No farang man will look at them; and B) Thai men treat them like dirt, then brag to their buddies about it. This is No-Farang-Woman's Land.

Guest lazyphil

Funny thing is the other night I was at a Thai night party where a falang woman was with her Tha fella and their baby. Its not a men only club in LOS despite what we might like to think.

lazyphil said:

....a falang woman was with her Tha fella and their baby.

Hi phil,

Don't want to play one-up-manship, but not long ago I was at a party and there were two falang women with long time Thai husbands. No babies though.

This probably happens a lot more than we realize. Quite often around The Londoner or Bull's Head I see farang women with Thai men - maybe married, maybe not, but it does go on.

Khwai

Archived