HELP!!! URGENT!!! Looking for a travel agent...

I think most of the Bangkok small travelshops cannot issue tickets themselves because they don't have access to a IATA account. Which means they cannot help you on a Sunday even if they wanted.

Probably some of the Muslim travelagents around Charoen Krung ( New Road ) might stay open on Sunday becuase their Sunday is on Friday . Daily Friday except on Tuesday.

BuBi

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buffalo_bill said:

I think most of the Bangkok small travelshops cannot issue tickets themselves because they don't have access to a IATA account. Which means they cannot help you on a Sunday even if they wanted.

Probably some of the Muslim travelagents around Charoen Krung ( New Road ) might stay open on Sunday becuase their Sunday is on Friday . Daily Friday except on Tuesday.

BuBi

All they have to do is a note in vendor remarks to the airline ..pax apt..Passsenger ticket at airport...they don't issue.......the airline makes it happen and you pick up at the desk at BKK or CM/CR etc.

Same day travel the agent would not be able to anyway under 72 hours..the airlines have restrictions and fees.

artiew said:

LOL ! I can picture the scene in the TA's office !

The only place where I've ever been able to get away with something like that was in Shenzhen - arrived breathless at the Southern China Airlines desk asking 'When's the next plane to Nanning ? I have to get there today !'. They had every right to laugh, but they calmly took my passport and the cash and issued me a ticket. The subsequent sprint to the departure lounge was something else, but it all worked out in the end ::

Hi artiew.

A few years ago i was on a train trip from Vienna to London.

I had never seen snow before... the train stopped ..i think strassburgh...anyway i got off to feel the snow..as the train started to move ,the other agents all yelled out to me to get my A**s on board real quick...made it just.

Would have been great...in a foriegn country..No ID/no passport/no cash or cards :D

TB,

Exact same thing happened to me in Poland in 2001, minus the snow. As I made it back on to the train - after the ladies, Indiana Jones style to a roar of applause.. The train stopped again.

Have fun at the Mardi Gras, I'll be admiring the grid girls on Saturday.

torneyboy said:
buffalo_bill said:

BuBi

All they have to do is a note in vendor remarks to the airline ..pax apt..Passsenger ticket at airport...they don't issue.......the airline makes it happen and you pick up at the desk at BKK or CM/CR etc.

Same day travel the agent would not be able to anyway under 72 hours..the airlines have restrictions and fees.

TB - A non IATA agent cannot set up a PTA - Im surprised you dont know that :o

Therefore BB is correct in his statement. weithout an IATA licence you cannot issue a ticket. only about 150 agents in Thailand have IATA licences out of about 3,000 travel agents. The non IATA one's have tickets issued through IATA agencies. Restrictions on IATA licences are very strict in Thailand and involve very significant bank guarantees and other rules (which I am sure you are aware off in Australia.)

Also, note that any ticket purchased directly from an airline is at published fare level in Thailand. Most agents sell tickets at considerably below published fares on airlines incl TG. Example, TG market fares issued by agents are generally 20-40% below published fares. No restrictions on booking and for a TG Gold Card holder, they would confirm the seat almost immediately, at the lower fare even if the lower fare inventory was full. Infact I have had many scenario's where the flight is full in all classes and I have had seat confirmed within 30 minutes at lowest market fare both in economy and business.

back to the original question. If the poster used one of the big agencies such as Amex, CWT, BTI etc they all have 24 hr services and would have been able to issue the ticket in Thailand at the lower fares, provided he was a registered client and charged it to his card. The other option is to go to a tourist ara such as on Sukhumvit and find one of the agencies open on a Sunday (TV air in Emporium springs to mind) and have them issue the ticket.

Cheers

SS: For the info of all, TV Air is closed Sunday and closes 1700 Mon-Sat and does not take AmEx. They were one of my first thought as well. Yup, the IATA agent was what I was referring to when I mentioned that I needed someone who could issue a tix. You are correct in the non-IATA agents *cannot* arrange an airport pickup. TG fares BKK-MEL-BKK: Q fare as shown on ticket = ~B39K, I paid ~B24K; full fare Y is ~B86K! Approximate as I am doing this from memory while I wait at my customer's site.

Toneyboy: Not true about not able to issue the same day. Maybe this is different than in Oz? My agent issued the tix Sunday 29/2 at about 1300 and I flew on the 0015 flight 1/3. I did have to waitlist, but eventually got on. Many others did not. Goody for me that I have the gold card!

Cheers,

SD

Hi

I dont think any agencies in OZ are not IATA,

Could not compete..waiting for tickets to come from others..to slow these days as clients want fast service.

Didnt realize so many in BKK were non IATA..yes the cost is huge ...100K AUD min to get approved by the TFC more like 200K.+++ all the paperwork via auditors etc each year to meet a 11 point approval to keep trading each year... :doah:

'""full in all classes""..wait list.. but many time call direct and surprise surprise there is a seat or two...they blackout seats from agents at times @$%&* really frustrating to say the least.

Full or published fares....yes can get lower via a consolidater..as we do many times..or net remit for a better commission level.

Suadum,

You did well, 24K, we paid 27500THB for the missus just a few weeks ago. Like you, it was a last minute thing, and she was on the list for a day or two, mainly because I'm a pretty unorganised person.

Good to catch up too, unfortunately she worked out what we were talking about, when she shouldn't have, and I copped the silent treatment for a day... made up in the end, as usual.

See you next time.

Archived