Falangs and Muslim food

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah had a great client that many years ago was all excited about crab Kamaboko . (imitation Crab made by extruding Pollock)

This guy threw a lot of parties. :) Unfortunately it contains real crab extract for flavouring .......... :( it was enough for hime to nix it on his catering menu.)

So really bad joke time .............

the Priest and the Rabbi were old friends .......... one day the Priest asks the Rabbi ......... "So, have you ever had a ham sandwich?"

"Sure and it was real good too !"

"How about you? Ever have a woman ?"

"Yeah, and it was a heck of a lot better than a ham sandwich."

ok, I go now. :doah:

And of course you remember the huge blow up a few years back when it was found that Ajinomoto (popular MSG brand) had pig protien in it? In Indonesia I believe. They arrested the corporate officers! Japanese gummint had to get them out.

That was one of my fav old jokes!

Cheers,

SD

no, I believe it has something to do with crawling on the bottom of the ocean, (which shrimp don't) or with their shells. :dunno:

and shrimp don't eat 'fish-shit' as you so elequently put it. and neither do pigs. (although some of the 'farmed shrimp' get some stuff that has got to be worse that 'fish-shit' :doah:)

Still great to have shrimp off the barbie though. :up::beer: Some Crispy pork rind and a few cold ones. Need to get down to Anasan market now ::

Quote:

"PS: Do you feel the same way when there are no other farangs at a Korean restaurant?"

No. I use to see falangs in such restaurants all the time, but the current world attitudes have changed such things. I feel I was thinking in retrospect of how things use to be. It is a shame.

As far as butchering, I think Thais, or at least some Thais, say some form of prayer before killing. Why I say that is I watched a person kill some chickens and I noticed he would bow his head, say a few words, as if praying, then kill the animal. Also at the prison museum, it mentions before executions, especially in olden days, a ritual was performed not just for the executioners but also upon the weapon(s).

Do not know about pigs and dogs (only that they are considered "unclean").

But LHL is on the right track with the crawling thing. It is said that one cannot eat "creatures that live in two worlds." Since they have legs (like land dwellers) but live in the sea, crustaceans fit this catagory.

Cheers,

SD

OK I had to do this and post :) This is part of the 'Kosher' law:

Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws

Level: Intermediate

Kashrut is the body of Jewish law dealing with what foods we can and cannot eat and how those foods must be prepared and eaten. "Kashrut" comes from the Hebrew root Kaf-Shin-Resh, meaning fit, proper or correct. It is the same root as the more commonly known word "kosher," which describes food that meets these standards. The word "kosher" can also be used, and often is used, to describe ritual objects that are made in accordance with Jewish law and are fit for ritual use.

There is no such thing as "kosher-style" food. Kosher is not a style of cooking. Chinese food can be kosher if it is prepared in accordance with Jewish law, and there are many fine kosher Chinese restaurants in Philadelphia and New York. Traditional Ashkenazic Jewish foods like knishes, bagels, blintzes, and matzah ball soup can all be non-kosher if not prepared in accordance with Jewish law. When a restaurant calls itself "kosher-style," it usually means that the restaurant serves these traditional Jewish foods, and it almost invariably means that the food is not actually kosher.

Food that is not kosher is commonly referred to as treyf (lit. torn, from the commandment not to eat animals that have been torn by other animals).

The short answer to why Jews observe these laws is: because the Torah says so. The Torah does not specify any reason for these laws, and for a Torah-observant, traditional Jew, there is no need for any other reason. Some have suggested that the laws of kashrut fall into the category of "chukkim," laws for which there is no reason. We show our obedience to G-d by following these laws even though we do not know the reason. Others, however, have tried to ascertain G-d's reason for imposing these laws.

General Rules

Although the details of kashrut are extensive, the laws all derive from a few fairly simple, straightforward rules:

Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.

Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.

All blood must be drained from the meat or broiled out of it before it is eaten.

Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.

Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).

Utensils that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.

Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.

The Details

Animals that may not be eaten

Of the "beasts of the earth" (which basically refers to land mammals with the exception of swarming rodents), you may eat any animal that has cloven hooves and chews its cud. Lev. 11:3; Deut. 14:6. Any land mammal that does not have both of these qualities is forbidden. The Torah specifies that the camel, the rock badger, the hare and the pig are not kosher because each lacks one of these two qualifications. Sheep, cattle, goats and deer are kosher.

Of the things that are in the waters, you may eat anything that has fins and scales. Lev. 11:9; Deut. 14:9. Thus, shellfish such as lobsters, oysters, shrimp, clams and crabs are all forbidden. Fish like tuna, carp, salmon and herring are all permitted.

For birds, the criteria is less clear. The Torah lists forbidden birds (Lev. 11:13-19; Deut. 14:11-18), but does not specify why these particular birds are forbidden. All of the birds on the list are birds of prey or scavengers, thus the rabbis inferred that this was the basis for the distinction. Other birds are permitted, such as chicken, geese, ducks and turkeys.

Of the "winged swarming things" (winged insects), a few are specifically permitted (Lev. 11:22), but the Sages are no longer certain which ones they are, so all have been forbidden.

Rodents, reptiles, amphibians, and insects (except as mentioned above) are all forbidden. Lev. 11:29-30, 42-43.

Good post, same principal in Halal, it is the way of preparing the meat, not the cooking style, hence lots of different muslim style food, lots of similar arabic food in Lebanon for both the Christian and Muslims.

http://www.eat-halal.com/kosher.shtml

I like the bit about insects! Not going to get a lot of Issan Jewish girls! A pity, they make good chicken soup!

JB

Archived