Falangs and Muslim food

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well its no sedcret that most fridays a group of us go for Muslim food around the corner from Gullivers, so nothing controvercial about it at all.

Soi 3 is good for it, we have a few favourite restaurants, but sadly, the "StarAnus" restaurant is now closed and i never got a photo off the sign!

Wife loves Muslim food, which is handy, so mention it next time at gullivers and come along.

JB

Muslom food varies region to region.

Arabic food, which is loved both by Maronite and Muslim Lebanese is typically things like Hummous (mushed Chick Peas), Baba ganoush (Mushed Egg Plant) Shishkebeb - (Meat on sticks - me thinks mans earliest culinary delight!)

However, Indian/Pakistan food is also "Muslim", here in Thailand uyou can have "Massaman" curry (Or Muslim Curry) which is similar but different to delightful dishes of Malaysia!

JB

elef said:

Hi LHL,

just curious - whats the difference between halal and kosher? More or less the same I think?

:beer:

elef

Red the drunk butcher here :drunk:

The only difference is the way the animal is slaughtered, and who by. We do a lot of halal lamb (and a little chicken) for export, and process it exactly the same as we would our domestic (non halal) food. The only difference is at the slaughterhouse, and obviously the meat cannot be in contact woth pork, or anyone who is working with pork on the day.

Both halal, and kosher slaughts have their procedures to follow on the killing. They are similar - the animal is killed only by a knife (no stun gun), and prayers are said. I think a rabbi must be present for kosher, but the halal can be done by a 'layperson'. maybe the other way around.

As far as the type of meat - both the same. (Basically) anything but pork. Jews also won't eat the hindquarters of any animal.

Hope this helps. :beer:

Kosher has different levels, not sure about Halal. Kosher, the animal must be killed with one stroke of a special knife, which has been blessed by a Rabbi. Also, the building must be inspected etc...on cattle, only the front half of the animal may be eaten, the rest is not kosher and then sold as such to someone else. The blood is drained a certain way, and in some cases a brine solution is used to rinse the meat. Also, no pork and no dairy products can be under the same roof where the meat is slaughtered, or stored or sold. Example, a true strict kosher store will not sell milk or cheese, also against the rules to put cheese on a meat sandwich. Also, the shop must be closed on Shabbatt (sabath, sundown Friday until sundown Saturday). No doubt left out a few other rules as well...

Halal killed the same way, not sure about anything else...

shygye said:

So what is in a kosher hotdog? :grinyes:

Beef lips and eyelids of course. ::

Strict Kosher can't have shrimp or crab either ....... damn shame my Jewish clientele say. I think Halal can, but not sure.

Archived