EURO 2004

Zaad

Zaad said:Incredible that France came back winning the game.

I was surprised with Eriksson's subs...Vassell and Heskey???

Confused the fuck out of us as we lost satellite transmission as donkey Heskey commited the foul. It came back as Calamity took out Henry. Couldn't believe it ..:banghead:

Agree with Bibblies, now thats a first :dunno:, that Vassell did ok, but why was no one following up from Barthez's nose stop ?? As for Heskey for fucks sake, the clown shouldn't even be there.

At least it was the first game, if we don't beat the Bankers or Croats then we deserve fuck all anyway.

Still stunned but still hopeful.

Cheers

K.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denmark - Italy 0 - 0

BB's comments : surprised to see a very strong Danish team :up:, not too surprised to see a lackluster Italian team.

Two good keepers though.

Totti deserved a definite red card right at the end.

And Morten Olsen lives about 20 km from my place :p

BB

I wore my Arsenal shirt to a place near me that bought the Euro 2004 package. Both the French and English fans were asking me who I would cheer for. hahaha....

My humble thoughts. Some of which were said earlier in other posts.

1. Rooney was the class of the field. Heskey should only have been brought on for him if Rooney was in danger of getting booked. Which brings up my second observation. Sven or Becks needs to talk to him. Beckham as captain should be calming him down on the pitch if he looks close to losing the plot. He could have been carded a few times. Agression and passion is part of what makes him a good player but it can turn against him in a nanosecond. He can have a Owen98WC-esque competition if he holds his temper. Makelele was trying to wind him up and you can be sure the word will be out on him and other sides will try the same. Vassell for Owen is not a bad move. Owen was fairly anonymous anyway. Vassell and Rooney would have made a good partnership.

2. Vieira was boss of the midfield in the 2nd half. Interesting how Lampard was trying to unsettle him with dodgy tackles. I think its more of the Chelsea v. Arsenal rivalry.

3. France reminded me a bit of Arsenal in some games (I'll try to tone down the Arsenal references, sorry...LOL). They have the talent, get good build-ups but the final ball eludes them. They were trying to caress the ball into the box for a 10 yd shot. They didn't play wide enough and not enough shots from distance (other than Vieira and Makelele in the first half, who should NOT be taking those types of shots). I also think France respected England too much. I think it has to do with the amount of French players in the PL. They respect these players on an individual basis and it carried on to the pitch. The same can be said in reverse. England had too much respect. The dodgiest part of the French side is their back line. So they should be going after it. Its noticable to neutrals such as myself that England doesn't play like they do in the league.

3. France (via Pires) went at Cole early on. With only a nutmeg to show for it, Cole didn't let Pires get chances to either score or pass. So they went after King. Everyone lauded King, rightfully so but it was also a testament to the respect shown for Sol. They stayed away from him. King was the new boy and he rose to the occasion. I've read some pundits saying King had the best of Sol but I think that was inaccurate. King had more chances to shine because they went after him. Jamie Redknapp tried to blame Cole for both goals. What is he smoking? Please, leave the club partisanship out of the commentaries please!!

4. Henry was anonymous for large parts of the game. Not sure why. But he needs to get himself sorted out if they are to have a chance. He's a magnet to defenses who gravitate to him, which leaves Trezguet open in the box or to make a run.

5. England impressed me despite the loss. They have the team to make it far in the competition. Say what you will about how France played but the fact is they had France, the former WC and current Euro champs, 1-0 for 90 minutes. Mentally they have to look to that part of it and not let it get them down. They were 2 minutes away from a big win. If I were Sven I'd focus on that and tell them if they can have France 1-0 down after 90 minutes, then they can do that against anyone else in the compeition.

7. I think Becks struck the ball hard enough and far enough to the left side to score 9 times out of every 10 times he struck it like that. Barthez guessed right. Would Rooney, Scholes or Lampard be better from the spot? Probably but the shot itself was good enough to score.

If I had to blame anyone, and I do, it was all Heskey's fault. IMO he has always been a donkey and should not even be in the squad these days. I have watched him since he was a kid as he comes from Asylum City. I had to switch off when they brought the clumsy bugger on, I just knew he would it fuck up.-peter

Sweden - Bulgaria : 5 - 0

BB's comments : nice game ! good football !

Bulgaria deserved a goal for all their efforts but were unlucky, the Swedes were lucky with five (!) goals......

Again the ref gave free yellow cards away...........

The Italians better watch the video of the game before playing the Swedes :p

BB

BelgianBoy said:

Sweden - Bulgaria : 5 - 0

BB's comments : nice game ! good football !

Bulgaria deserved a goal for all their efforts but were unlucky, the Swedes were lucky with five (!) goals......

Again the ref gave free yellow cards away...........

The Italians better watch the video of the game before playing the Swedes :p

BB

with two goals from comeback player Henryk Larsson :up:

Two good games tonight. Although another 0-0 draw The Danes and Italy put on a good show, unlike the crap served up by the Swiss and Croats. Both keepers were excellent and yes Totti should've got a red card, not only for the over the top tackle, but also for the tarty haircut.

5-0 flatters the Swedes a bit, up until Larson got his 2 minute brace the Bulgars looked as though they were getting back into it, not to be tho. Dodgy penalty as well. Makes Friday's game against Italy interesting now.

Cheers

K.

chocolat steve said:Vieira was boss of the midfield in the 2nd half. Interesting how Lampard was trying to unsettle him with dodgy tackles. I think its more of the Chelsea v. Arsenal rivalry.
This has nothing to do with London rivalry, as they say its "For God and Country"

I also see Viera has been complaining that we went in too hard and "cheated" .. Well fuck him .. Till the middle of August anyway.

Cheers

K.

Archived