I struck a Thai. Your thoughts?

Pom_Jao_Choo

Maybe it was not a smart idea to smack the guy, but Jesus... I had a couple of minutes to think and can not even think of a smart way to react to a stupid situation like this. What was the guy thinking? That he could just grab a strangers' dick and get away with it?

I guess if anyone should know better, it was him and not you. But damn, you're in a tight spot. Relocation looks like overreacting, but then again who knows what the lad's capable of? Maybe ask some of your neighbours if they know what kind of guy he is and if retribution seems likely.

Good luck solving the situation.

Cheers,

soongmak

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes Thai people can be very rude. For some reason they also like to look at our body hair and tell us we look like a monkey. I find this very insulting.

I think the gay thai guy did violate your person and he was disrespectful. I was not there, he may have thought he was being cute and funny. I am not sure I could say you over reacted coz the way you describe it it sound like it was happening very fast and you did what was instictive to you.

In terms of retribution, maybe moving to a new apartment will help you sleep better. This is assuming that you are not too well rooted where you are.

I was once reading that if you are involved in a road rage incident, sometimes just saying you are sorry can de-escalate the whole situation. If you are really worried about retribution you can always say you are sorry to him the next time you see him. What he did was wrong, but you might feel better throwing a bucket of water on a fire.

Good luck

Rug

Its a thread like this on this board which really upsets me.......not one poster, including the OP says that solving problems through violence is to be unreservedly condemmed except in cases of risk to life and limb..... IMHO...

rompandadam said:

Gandhi, Martin Luther King...need I go on?

Aberrations and will be soon forgotten in another hundred years. Christianity preaches non-violence yet many Christian based States are the most violent and destructive. The US which is a Christian based society is the worlds only superpower with enough nuclear, chemical and biological capability to wipe every human off of the planet and still designing and developing more weapons of destruction. Like I said get over it. Violence is a way of life.

Carry some sort of weapon and be ready to kick some fucking ass??

yes Fly, always carry a weapon you are comfortable with using and be prepared to use it, always, always, always....pepper spray, a good knife, a small snap out baton, brass knuckles, a pair of high heel shoes, etc. Sure you don't want to be caught holding these things. I prefer a kane, makes me look harmless, and is totally legal. Available at any Bangkok pharmacy in a snappy aluminum fold down model for under 1000 baht.

If you use the weapon and the Thai guy gets badly hurt (or worse), isn't this just going to make things worse???

Not if it is done quickly enough and nobody sees it. Hey I'm not suggesting that he go looking for trouble, in fact I suggested that he change up his routine in an effort to minimize chances for a confrontation; however, if two or three thai guys step to him and he can't take flight a weapon will be quite useful.

25+ years in Bang Kwan prison for killing a guy who grabbed me on the dick just doesn't make sense to me!

I don't agree. Going through life scared of the consequences just plain sucks. This was all preventable. No one would have ever gotten position on me in the elevator, a position where I felt uncomfortable and had to move out of someones way. Someone who was crowding me. Acting passive brings out the assholes of the world. If he had been confronted with a stare and a clearing of the throat, right in his face, he would have moved or gave way alowwing Pom_Jao_Choo the space he needed.

Violence is very rarely the right answer to any solution IMHO. It just leads to more trouble.

Agreed, agreed!!!!

Always better to just swallow your pride, walk away and let things be.

While this is true more often than not, by using the term 'always' you really limit the statements credibility. Sometimes, clearly a minority, pride needs to be treasured and acted upon.

Archived