I struck a Thai. Your thoughts?

Pom_Jao_Choo

The simple answer to this, is to report it to the police(tourist).

he assualted you, you slapped him, rightly and he has further threatened you. Get them to pay him a visit.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would humbly submit that you did over-react but instinct can get the best of any of us. The mistake was two-fold: you hit him in the head (sacred to Thais) and you did in front of others. It's not the force of the blow that did the damage, it's the circumstances.

As mentioned, involving the Tourist Police now might not be bad idea, although if you are not here on a tourist visa they may not want much to do with you. A bit of money, a few thousand baht probably, would likely be enough to convince an officer to have word with your new enemy and defuse the situation.

<< I would've done the same and then after would be worried sick about revenge attacks. >>

You've got it. The guy wouldn't do it himself. It would be more like half a dozen tuk-tuk drivers with 2 X 4's ...

:doah:

I've posted long ago about arriving at Patpong early one evening in the '80s, to find an ambulance leaving and a pool of blood at the entrance of a go-go bar. Turns out a couple of Thai voc school punks had had a scrap with the Thai doorman. They'd driven by on a motorcycle about 15 minutes before I got there, and the pillion rider lobbed a FRAGMENTATION GRENADE at the doorman! It killed the doorman, plus the shrapnel blew through the wooden door and killed a couple of dancers sitting at the bar on the other side. It was a disheartening scene ... the big pool of blood with brightly coloured high heel shoes lying in it. And the doorman's friend was all broken up over his friend's death and sobbing uncontrollably. The police caught the idiots who'd done it the next day, since they were recognised. But that didn't do much good for the doorman and 3 or 4 girls they'd killed ...

The reason you avoid fights here is not because you won't win. It's because revenge is very easy and cheap!

The Indian state today exists to a large degree courtesy of one and fewer blacks crunch their heads against the glass (and opaque) ceiling because of the other ( actually he improved things alot more than this but not to drone on)..Or in other terms the "rights' which allow you to post here are, at least in part, because the laws govern the internet not neanderthals ....but go ahead assault everyone you dont agree with...make a wonderful world for the kids to grow up in......the notion of the legitimacy of violence is hardly worth utilising the energy to refute.....

>>>Questions:

1. My reacion to the incident was unwaranted?

2. Is it likely, that retribution will be in the works?

3. Does the "average" hetero male Thai, accept

this sort of gesture as normal and not feel

slighted ? <<<

1. depends, as most have said, if you can deal with the possible retribution.

2. not necessarily, but you should be careful.

3. depends again. if it would be like your case, the guy would hardly touch a stranger's willy in public - he would be facing a lot more extreme violence than what you did (but again, questions of retribution, and the average farang not having much of a peergroup for support). well, or he would have taken up the offer... :p

good mates thouch do grab each other's willies, while kidding around. i do see that very often (and no - they are not gay).

thais, if they are not friends or relatives are not people who are very much into touching and hugging and all that. there is a very high respect for personal space here.

only thing is that a lot of thais do view us as some oversexed animals (and looking at some of the posters here they might be not too far off reality with that assessment...). especially if you are staying in an area with a high density of sexpats (such as sukhumvit or pattaya) do not expect thais treating you with here normal respect.

anyhow, it all depends, if you overreacted or not. i personally would have preferred in that situation to make the guy lose serious face with the right verbal comeback, but if your language skills are not there yet, that is difficult. one thing is clear - you had to do something as otherwise you would have lost face.

anyhow - i do avoid those situations by not living in a farang ghetto.

>>>The Indian state today exists to a large degree courtesy of one <<<

but if you just look at the events of the last decade - the bombay riots, the gujarat riots, the near civil war situation in bihar, andhra and UP with the unbelievably brutal militias - you wonder if there was ever a gandhi existing.

nonviolence? india is one of the most brutaly violent societies i have come across.

rompandadam said:

the world' largest democracy?......perhaps you should travel more

i have spent more than two years in india over the last 16 years, at some time i even spoke a bit of hindi. not enough? ;)

and my dad has done business there for the last three decades.

I read a bunch of replies to your post and only one lightly touched on a point I would like to make from my personal experience.

I grew up in and as a young adult worked in New York City. Numerous times I had read about someone being mugged, resisting and getting a knife between the ribs. So, I made a promise to myself that faced with a situation like that, I would just hand over my wallet and whatever - not important - certainly not important enough to risk one's life.

But, one evening I was walking along and 3 guys, each at least 6'2" (80 centimeters if I have it correct) approached me (I am 70 centimeters). One of them reached for the pocket that I had my wallet in and I aggressively shoved him away. It was as if my body belonged to someone else. Know thought at all! (By the way, not Thai and farang but in terms of retribution not so different; this was at a time of considerable animosity between caucasians and African Americans - whites and blacks. And, to use the colloquial terminology of the time, I am white and they were black).

I was very lucky because almost immediately a police officer turned the street corner directly in front of us. The one I pushed cursed me out but there was nothing they could do at that point.

So, the point is that in a situation where you are confronted physically (and you were), there is no right or wrong way to act. Instinct takes over. You didn't over-react or under-react. You just reacted.

As for possible consequences, others more knowledgeable than I have already commented.

Archived