I struck a Thai. Your thoughts?

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rompandadam said:

Its a thread like this on this board which really upsets me.......not one poster, including the OP says that solving problems through violence is to be unreservedly condemmed except in cases of risk to life and limb..... IMHO...

Please take the time to read Tiger Moths excellent post.

read a bunch of replies to your post and only one lightly touched on a point I would like to make from my personal experience.

I grew up in and as a young adult worked in New York City. Numerous times I had read about someone being mugged, resisting and getting a knife between the ribs. So, I made a promise to myself that faced with a situation like that, I would just hand over my wallet and whatever - not important - certainly not important enough to risk one's life.

But, one evening I was walking along and 3 guys, each at least 6'2" (80 centimeters if I have it correct) approached me (I am 70 centimeters). One of them reached for the pocket that I had my wallet in and I aggressively shoved him away. It was as if my body belonged to someone else. Know thought at all! (By the way, not Thai and farang but in terms of retribution not so different; this was at a time of considerable animosity between caucasians and African Americans - whites and blacks. And, to use the colloquial terminology of the time, I am white and they were black).

I was very lucky because almost immediately a police officer turned the street corner directly in front of us. The one I pushed cursed me out but there was nothing they could do at that point.

So, the point is that in a situation where you are confronted physically (and you were), there is no right or wrong way to act. Instinct takes over. You didn't over-react or under-react. You just reacted.

As for possible consequences, others more knowledgeable than I have already commented.

--------------------

Tiger Moth

This ain't Kansas, Dorothy

....but go ahead assault everyone you dont agree with...

no one was anywhere near suggesting this. I hate it when people take a situation, mold it to their personal stance, and then deliver a broad general statement in support of their stance ignoring any facts of the original 'actual' premise.

Something is wrong with this whole scene. Thai gay men do not walk up to another man and fondle him. Could body language or eye glances precipitated this action?

Beating somebody up in a foreign land can be dangerous. What would you have done if he pulled out a knife? He could have been on yaa-baa?

How did the others really view the situation? Remember bad news travels fast.

Turning to the side and bluntly saying "No" may have been more effective.

>you hit him in the head (sacred to Thais) and you did in front of others

Glad some one finally pointed out the crux of the matter, and this will be what decides if it goes further.

The original (Thai) guy was clearly wrong, but , well, go round smacking people on the head and you better keep one eye out behind you.

-j-

Definetly watch your back for a few weeks, but I'd think after that amount of time has passed it will be over. Thais don't have a particularly long memory, preferring to live for the moment.

And your reaction was pretty normal I'd say. I'd probably react the same way except my wife would go into conniptions. She'd probably agree the guy was out of line but would hate to see me take action like that.

Once had a pickpocket attempt to lift my wallet in a large crowd. Caught him in the act ... but all I saw was his hand. Grabbed the fingers and twisted as hard as I could. Heard a satisfying snap. Never saw the owner though. Hope he wasn't Thai.

Please check my original post for the following details.

1- "Without thought or consideration of course I

reacted physicaly." I guess I failed to explain

that this was a motor reflex reaction, not unlike

if someone were to grab you from behind by

throat.

2- "I smacked the **** in the head (kwan) with

the other."

My reference here to Kwan, I thought would

make it clear that I understand the implications

of striking a Thai on the head (the holy most

part of the body where the spirit dwells). If

I had honestly been persuing a death wish I

Should have used my shoe right ?

3- The elevator is small, the sweeping open handed

strike had no room for targeting.

4- "then the male (who does not to any prejudicial

judgements apear/seem gay)"

5- MIghtyMouse "Something is wrong with

this whole scene. Thai gay men do not walk up

to another man and fondle him. Could body

language or eye glances precipitated this action?"

- Sorry nope a) I'm not even curious.

B) he seemed like a normal chap

worth having a chat with on a normal day.

I think it is a lot more harmful to the Ferang image the way we are seen parading around with bar girls,

than the rare instance of a ferang defending themselves. When I told the girl at the store about the incident and asked her if I seemed like the trouble making type she said don't worry, some Thai males just like to make trouble.

Anyways I think part of the prblem might have been my lifestyle. I spent most of my 1.5 million baht in the first 6 months touring Chiang Mai, Phucket, Ao Nang and Cambodia. Since then things have been meager. Teaching English for those of us who are only rudimently skilled and do not agresively pursue larger amounts of money isn't financially rewarding.

So the neighbors have not seen me in the company of a lot of ladys, I have not reciprocated aproaches of bar girls who live in the area. And in the last year there was only one girl who I brought back to my appartment (an old friend visiting from kon kaen). Which is just as well because some of my students and their parents are neighbors as well.

For this reason, while drinking beers downstairs with the locals, I have a couple of times had to make it quite clear that I was not interested to gay males. But making it QUITE CLEAR I did.

And I really do believe that "gay sex" is very common among Thai males who are not actually "gay". And this guy probably had a couple drinks and thought I was a ferang slut.

Anyways, I saw him sitting outside the store today, we both gave each other an ugly stare and then I decided to postpone my shopping. This is day 2 since the incident. I don't regard myself as being out of the woods, but possibly he has realized his error.

personally i don't think you overacted.

if a guy was to touch my todger i would react in the same way as you.

i imagine things happened in a split second and you just lashed out.

very easy for people to say they would have done this or done that and touching the head is bad and all that.

so do i let a guy have a feel and while he is doing it just think what my options are which will not cause offence to him?

i don't think so,he was lucky that certain members of this board were not involved.

he would not have walked out of the lift.......

How well do you know the other people in the lift.I would ask them or one that you may know what they thought.Do you have any good thai friends,talk to them.Find out all you can about this guy.Whats your security guard like.Can he help?When you gather some info on the guy and the perception of how he may take it,then make a decision on if you need to move or not.I think until then just be more careful than usual.

cheers sky brow.

Archived