Haute´Cuisine in Los

Coss

I know of a good fooderie´ called Mata Hari on second road Pattaya.

But to be fair, and even though I've eaten some fine food in Bangkok, I've yet to find a reasonably priced, fine cuisine restaurant in Bangkok.

It's not that they are not there, it's because in my stumblings up and down Sukhumvit and Silom and Pinklao, I've yet to find them.

and another quote: "If you meet at dinner a man who has spent his life in educating himself you rise from the table richer, and conscious that a high ideal has for a moment touched and sanctified your days."

Oscar Wilde

Any pointers?

Cheers

Coss

i do not know Mata Hari and also not your definition of Haute Cuisine, but i thinks Bangkok has many fine cuisine restaurants.

to start with the french restaurants i would recall Mes Amis, Le Banyan, Phillipe and Le Normandie;

italians: Gianni's, Biscotti, l'Opera, Angelini, Rossini, Il Giusto

Steakhouses: Neil's Tavern, New York Steakhouse, Park Avenue

there are also many excellent Chinese or Thai eateries

"also not your definition of Haute Cuisine"

Hi,

I suppose by Haute´ I mean somewhere that does more than churn out reasonable food. I've sometimes been able to ferret out a restaurant that has an exceptional chef with magnificent skills and is usually tucked away from the main thoroughfares, with mainly local customers. This kind of restaurant usually does not have a "Large and Flash" exterior.

As I don't spend a lot of time in Bangkok I don't get to seek these little pearls out and I have to say I only discovered Mata Hari in Pattaya by mistake. I'd go back to Pattaya just for the food in Mata Hari, and the fact that there're women in Pattaya also, makes the proposition doubly attractive.

Cheers

Coss

Agree - Maha Naga is worth the experience. I found the food to be fairly good, though maybe not as special as was described to me before my visit there . The decor, on the other hand, is quite nice. Lots of detail went into the presentation.

Maha Naga has gradually dropped of the "high society" circuit somewhat, as at one time it was the place to be in BKK.

Although I haven't been, they say "Face" is the new hot spot for fine dining. Anyone tried it yet?

froggo

Maha Naga is more fusion food than original thai.

another good address for high level fusion food with focus on healthy and low calories food is Amaranth (newly opened)

for original Thai i would recommend as "Haute Cuisine":

Supatra Riverhouse

Bussaracum

Thanying

Baan Khanita (they have now 3 branches)

Lemongrass

and some thai restaurants at the Deluxe Hotels (i personally hardly frequent those as you can get excellent thai food at lower prices elsewhere)

Archived