Chlamydia treatment (just how shit is the NHS?)

wonderlust

Please take the medication even if you are already getting better. You have already had more than one brush with disaster in this episode. Just follow the doctor's orders and get this behind you once and for all.

Sorry if I sound like preaching here. You are already lucky that this did not leave permanent damage, yet.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at VD/STD clinics in UK/DK/SE they have always been very good at diagnose & treatment of clap/goneor... IME.

usually if symptons for such they will take sample/tests & treat for clap straight away & possibly gon. if sample shows so at high probability as final result will not be avail for a week or so?

so if letting them know infected in LOS they will know exactly how to treat with the mentioned injection in the ass & some pills ;)

p.s. glad your treat ment worked out in the end

MightyMouse said:

Quote:

Check with CDC and WHO. Their web sites have tons of information unfortunately it is almost impossible to find what you want with out doing a lot of searching.

As there is more an element of importance coming upon this thread, and since I view threads such as this as long-lived historic conversations, I'll add a bit of sage advise on a tangent to this post. Bear with me...it'll be worth it...honest ;)

Most web sites have their own search engines built in. Trouble is their quality varies greatly. If you've gone to a CDC, or WHO site and you know the information is in there but seems to be buried, or is overwhelmed by nonsense/off topic results from the site's brain-dead-search-software results do this then. Back your browser out and go to the advanced page of the Teoma search engine

http://s.teoma.com/AdvancedSearch?q=

Then, plug your CDC or WHO (site equivalent) URL into their "site or domain" field whilst entering your search query into the pertinent field(s) above. Tinkering in this way with your search terminology will very soon yield that which elluded you formerly. Teoma's search engine is sharp and worth the effort in these instances. It will reward you- honestly. :bow:

wonderlust said:

well doc said i definitely dont have epididymitis (said i passed the test 'A1' - never thought i'd be so happy to have another man squeeze my bollocks!) but that i have prostatitis and prescribed me 500mg a day for 6 weeks of erythromycin. not sure i'll even bother taking them as i seem to be getting better anyway.

apparently regular ejaculation and no alcohol will help me get better ... a mixed blessing :hubba:

Well fuck me. Prostitis eh? Hmmmm, let me take the oportunity of reposting my *first* post in this thread:

Sigh. To take the contrary view here. Lets see. That bad old doc actually wanted to find out what you had before prescribing a course of antibiotics. Well, that must be pretty close to malpractice (not!).

>i guessed right away that this was chlamydia

Excellent. No need for cultures, no need to determine what sort of bacteria is was, just rely upon your "guess".

Point is here, is that there are something like 25 different STD's, as well as a few other things that could give your symptoms.

A good example might, for example, be bacterial prostitis, which can be caused by:

Escherichia coli. Klebsiella, Proteus, Enterococci and Pseudomonas, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus faecalis, or anaerobes such as Bacteriodes species.

And, just as a matter of interest, Cipro is a standard antibiotic regime for ill defined bacterial prostitis....hmmmm.

However, the point (partly) here is that you have *assumed* you have an STD. maybe yes, maybe no. You doc (bless his little heart) wanted to find out *exactly* what you had before rushing off to pescribe something to treat it. Sounds pretty fair to me (esp given that the cultures have come back negative so far).

And to the other posters on this thread. There is some shit bad advice in here, some of which borders on actually harmful. If you are gonna post stuff offering advice on medical treatments, know what you are on about first, please.

-j-

Now, I will avoid the obvious "I told you so", and just go on to say that yes, leave off taking the erythromyocin that the doc prescribed. Permanant sterility is a good way to remove yourself from the gene pool.

cheers

josh

Yes, "different strains" ... let's not forget the ability of bacteria and viruses to mutate. New strains of infections 'evolve' quite frequently.

Having the organism identified before treatment is the best method. However, many physicians, especially here in LOS, will prescribe based on their experience and 'intuition.'

They are probably correct in many instances ... but, when they're wrong, the patient suffers needlessly, not to mention the expenses incurred by not guessing correctly in the first place.

I can't see why such bile and venom is pouring out of you josh, maybe a tad over protective towards your own profession? Just to remind you of the facts, I was diagnosed with NSU which would have gone away had the doctor given me doxycycline when I first went to him, but instead he left me untreated for another week. A common cause of prostatitis is when NSU is untreated and spreads to the prostate, which is what the doctor admits happened to me. This is one reason why such medical authorities as the US DofH recommend immediate treatment of suspected cases of gonorrhoea/chlamydia/NGU.

BTW the erythromycin tablets are delicious thank you very much. ::

Archived