about using the word racism...

pattaya127

I have been confusing and mixing up threads. This was in another thread but I realize it belongs here, so copied, deleted, and paste here where it belongs:

About racism at the national parlk dble pricing booth. Let's say the attendant saw the resident farang as a tourist, and won't budge. To me, i see it as a lazy routine at work, you're farang, you pay tourist price, blahblah.....

Ok, you are mad, me too, you may walk with your feet or get in anyway, alone, with your kids or your wife/GF. Let's say you then decide to stop at the food stall nearby, where incidentally the cashier comes to sit down to have lunch.

How surprised would you be if, not working, relaxing, this supposedly racist person, upon any little happenstance, starts smiling and talks with you, having not paid that much attention as you (or forgotten) about the dble price affair, and in case you have luk krung kids (half white, cause for racism no?), is just totally smitten with them cute little ones? Does it seem unlikely?

To me, that's a part of Thailand in a nutshell. You get all worked up, with your imported values on standing on principles, and then it's all sanook again, relax, enjoy the moment, thais, farangs, and together.

You may call me naive, easily mistaken, but I bet i will live longer not stressing myself out of shape. Thanks to the thais for "teaching" me life is so short, enjoy, what's the fuss!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have been picked up by taxis in Geylang in Sillypore, outside Club Bboss in Honkers, at gentlemen's clubs in UK, France & the States. Never had a conversation approaching that one in intimacy or cheek. And those were far more likely places for that kind of conversation than a starting off in a cozy little neighborhood and going to a perfectly respectable destination.

Besides, there was no way in hell that he could not have heard our conversation as he was a foot away. Any Thai knows what the word "Daddy" means IME. I'll stick by the "very weird" comment.

Cheers,

SD

in Geylang in Sillypore, outside Club Bboss in Honkers, at gentlemen's clubs in UK, France & the States

------------------------------

That leaves a lot of other countries in the "southern" hemisphere. I am just reflecting on the common assumption that a farang is a horny guy in Thailand on his part. he also saw you with a young woman, which helped.

The farang = big dick is also a recurring theme. OK, the conversation fits well in the realm of thai taxis and farangs more than any other places, which, if thinking about them (other places), is weird. I think in Thailand, we all say things that would be out of place back home or somewhere else, and do realize the weirdness of it sometimes.

Just adding a point, not in contradiction.

As a asian/polynesian/american, I speak and read elementary thai. The thai's always refer to me as yee-poon or jeen. The two tier system applys to me also when i visit 'attractions'. I have gotten refused entry at many go-go's, why, because at night I look thai, my skin is tan. Also as an american having visited and lived in differant parts of the USA, I've gotten my share of hard-core racism. But aside from all the racism BS, it comes down to individuals, because for every racist, ignorant thai, black, irish, japanese, chinese, mexican, french, german, jew, italian, brazilian, tongan, australian, etc, etc in this world, i have met some of the finest, good hearted, hospitable, party-loving thai, black, irish, japanese, chinese, mexican, french, german, jew, italian, brazilian, tongan, australian, etc. etc. in this great world. Down with the individual racist, up with the 'party animal'.

chok dee,

HOKS

PS"can't we all jus get along" & "anybody for cocktails"

I can understand seeing as shes your daughter, but in Soi 7 the other day enjoying a cold ale with a mate, a sweet young thing was chatting with us, he asked her "How Mush" to wish she replied, "Up to you daddy"

We lauged, but I can understand very well why you didnt at teh time

JB

that conversation sounds to me as if he himself was fascinated by whatever you might carry between your legs, and was trying to,... well,... ::

Gay-trying to pick me up? Voyeur-wanting to see me shag some broad (maybe he liked those "big fat dick trying to split petite 45Kg girl in half" movies)? Just uncouth and did not realize such talk amongst strangers is generally not polite in normal society? Who knows?

To keep on topic: racist? Prolly, but then again maybe not cuz maybe he talks to Thai guys like that too? Could he do that safely? I don't know. Any insight Fly?

We'll never know for sure. It's now just another tale for that book I've been meaning to write...

Cheers,

SD

>>>To keep on topic: racist? Prolly, but then again maybe not cuz maybe he talks to Thai guys like that too? Could he do that safely? I don't know. Any insight Fly? <<<

to a thai guy who is a complete stranger? i doubt very much that he would dare to speak like that if he likes to stay healthy.

but then who knows? he might be just some slightly twisted person, and every society has that. and given the rape statistics here that place has no shortage of very twisted sickos.

what's the latest fashion in rape now here? wait in a dark alley until some bloke with his missus comes along, shoot the bloke, rape the shit of the girl with your mates, shoot her, and then use the bike for the races.

Hi Oran,

I often use the wod farang myself, if for instance I want to point out a westerner amongst a crowd

That is an altogether different situation.

The westerner is not present and don´t overhear your conversation, right?

What I wonder is the following scenario:

Would a cab driver when seeing what he clearly sees as a thai woman with what appears to be a chinese guy refer to him as "Khon Jiin" in his presense?

Or a thai woman with what appears to be a guy of of middle east descent refer to him as "Khaek" in his presense?

In both cases I think not, and why? IMO Because he would assume that there is a much higher probability that they would understand everything he says and he most likely couldn´t be sure that they were not locals.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived