EURO 2004 - The Results

Mentors

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collina's not as infallible as he's made out to be, is he? I still can't believe he didn't send off the Turkish goalkeeper for a 'Schumacher' on Kieron Dyer in the 0-0 draw. I definitely get the feeling that some refs are thinking they're the stars - I mean, has anyone seen that Swedish ref, for instance? He's theatrical!

Mike Riley, England's representative, is the worst we've got. I don't know why we sent him. Didn't give an obvious penalty to Latvia versus the Germans. And I don't rate Kim Milton Nilsson either - he's too much of a "star" and much too fussy. Beckham's flick at Simeone in '98 was never worthy of a red card.

Portugal deserved their triumph (if only for England sitting back) but the Swiss referee was appalling. I mean, have you ever seen another referee give a free-kick against a player for playing on after an opponent had made him lose his boot, like he did to Rooney? I mean, what the fuck? :dunno:

Mentors said:

How you figure the English side is arrogant?

Just become the team told everywhere that they will get the title.

Same as Spain, Italy. And Germany was shure to stay in the final.

Now they can watch the EM on TV.

Long live the better playing outsiders! :up:

You've got a small-nation chip on your shoulder and you're wrong. Just listen to the lyrics of 'Three Lions' and look at the polls on sites like football365, where a majority of English fans thought we'd lose. Along with many I feared a self-destructive loss and saw disappointment as inevitable.

The sad thing is, unlike the Germans, we had the players.

bibblies said:

Portugal deserved their triumph (if only for England sitting back) but the Swiss referee was appalling. I mean, have you ever seen another referee give a free-kick against a player for playing on after an opponent had made him lose his boot, like he did to Rooney? I mean, what the fuck?

That was explained on Dutch TV..... there is apparantly a rule that says you need 2 shoes on to kick a ball.

Freekick was because Rooney kicked the ball whilst having only 1 shoe on :doah: :doah:

Problem is those top 5-6 European refs is that they are on first name basis with most of the top 100 players, meeting them nearly on a monthly basis here and there.

They are not objective anymore.

A panel of refs is also no good, who will whistle then ?

Using replays will just kill the game totally, imagine a game in winter in the rain, with all necessary replays ?

Or a game without the presence of TV ?

Maybe import South American refs ? :dunno:

BB

Hmmm Bibblies, make up your mind:

From 1/4 final thread:

"I say as a betting man, not a patriot: Why not England? France, Spain and Portugal - all pre-tournament favourites have played 2 games now and none have looked any more impressive. All have their weaknesses. It's there for the taking."

And then now:

"You've got a small-nation chip on your shoulder and you're wrong. Just listen to the lyrics of 'Three Lions' and look at the polls on sites like football365, where a majority of English fans thought we'd lose. Along with many I feared a self-destructive loss and saw disappointment as inevitable."

You have been the arguing most in threads that England could win it all, and now you say that you saw disappointment as inevitable? :neener:

Cheers!

Another terrific night of drama. With 6 further knockout games to go, I would not rule out penalties deciding another 1 or 2 games.

As for last night I would think most are agreed that the better team won. England midfield looked leaden footed. Maybe the extra day was a factor. The scheduling of World Cup/Euro final games are always set up to give maximum benefit to the home team assuming they win their group.

The 64 million dollar issue is the disallowed goal. BBC and Irish tv all felt goal was okay. ITV highlights later not so bullish on it. Time for mature reflection perhaps. I felt that Terry with his arm on the goalie was the reason he disallowed it. Easy to understand English fury at the decision. Had it stood I think all Portugal would have strangled Maniche for pissing about, and finally conceding the free kick.

Great comeback by England to make it 2-2 when all semmed lost and take it to penalties.

Becham is taking a lot of flak today re penalty miss. Anyone can miss even with a perfect penalty spot (Platini/Zico in Mexico 1/4 final 1986). But his overall play is poor. No effort to close down cross for Postiga equaliser. The reality is much less than the legend.

In the shootout both goalies throwing themselves around the goal. Better IMO to stay still and then react to penalty. England had 3 sucessive shots in the middle of the goal. Ricardo surely would have saved a few of them. Outrageous

2nd last penalty by Portugal. Horrible way to lose out for either team.

Surely not as much drama tonight. France to go through in 90 minutes? In the final anaysis the Dutch are beginning to look as possible winners. If (big if) they can keep their egos in check, and play as a team, I think they could take both Sweden and Portugal

check_bin_krap said:

Hmmm Bibblies, make up your mind:

From 1/4 final thread:

"I say as a betting man, not a patriot: Why not England? France, Spain and Portugal - all pre-tournament favourites have played 2 games now and none have looked any more impressive. All have their weaknesses. It's there for the taking."

And then now:

"You've got a small-nation chip on your shoulder and you're wrong. Just listen to the lyrics of 'Three Lions' and look at the polls on sites like football365, where a majority of English fans thought we'd lose. Along with many I feared a self-destructive loss and saw disappointment as inevitable."

You have been the arguing most in threads that England could win it all, and now you say that you saw disappointment as inevitable? :neener:

Cheers!

It's not contradictory at all. England did have one of the best pools of players in the tournament. Gerrard and Lampard have outshone or matched Viera and Pires over a season in the Premiership. Terry (England's 4th or 5th best defender) has kept France's captain out of his club side. Rooney, Cole and Campbell have shown themselves to be stars.

We do have the players. What we don't have is the belief. That's why Mentor couldn't be more wrong. We're the opposite of arrogant. Arrogant teams don't try to defend a lead for 87 minutes. Arrogant players believe in themselves and attack, believing themselves to be at least equals. There are plenty - believe me, plenty of English people that are ridiculously anti-English and always say we're not good enough to win it. We are, if we only believe. Otherwise, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's what I feared. And Eriksson shouldn't be making plans that make the players think they're inferior.

Look at the unafraid way the Danish and Swedes are playing. You know, by seeing the same players in the same league, that we've got better material. What's the difference? They go for it. We lack belief. Because we're listening to the 'put ourselves downers'.

You don't think Arsene Wenger, say, would be more than happy to have most of those players? And that he wouldn't make more of them?

By the way, I'm still top of the Euro fantasy league. :)

BelgianBoy said:
bibblies said:

Portugal deserved their triumph (if only for England sitting back) but the Swiss referee was appalling. I mean, have you ever seen another referee give a free-kick against a player for playing on after an opponent had made him lose his boot, like he did to Rooney? I mean, what the fuck?

That was explained on Dutch TV..... there is apparantly a rule that says you need 2 shoes on to kick a ball.

Freekick was because Rooney kicked the ball whilst having only 1 shoe on :doah: :doah:

Well, that's a fucking wanky rule, isn't it? What the hell is the point of that? Who the fuck would think of making something like that an offence? :dunno: On the same level, you could have had a rule cancelling England's penalty miss because Ricardo wasn't wearing gloves!

This Sepp Blatter is an utter cunt too. Do these guys ever do anything right? Making stupid rules, like the golden goal, silver goal, making players wear shin pads, pull up their socks and tuck in their shirts, etc... They don't know what the fuck they're doing. The English first tried 3 points for a win years ago, UEFA banned it and then, a year or two later, introduced it as their own rule. Same with professional fouls - after the infamous Willie Young just-outside-the-box trip in the 1980 FA Cup final, the English FA introduced a red card for professional fouls, where a goal-scoring opportunity had been denied. Again, UEFA bureaucracy got it banned for a couple of years until... UEFA decided to implement it, except this time slightly worse. The English version was meant to send off players for offences that weren't penalties. The stupid UEFA one made it a mindless "always send them off, even if it's a penalty too." :cussing:

Meanwhile, UEFA ignores blatant shirt-pulling, diving, etc. Why tackle that when there's the important matter of players not wearing boots to be dealt with?

Who the fuck respects Sepp Blatter and trusts people like him to make rules? Why can't we have people like Bobby Charlton, Pele and Eusebio making international football rules?

"It's not contradictory at all. England did have one of the best pools of players in the tournament. "

What do you base that belief upon? That they all except Beckham and Hargreaves play in the prem (if I missed one or so, please correct me)? Its not the best league in Europe at all. The problem with the England team is also that they lack experience outside England.

Look outside your narrow world, dominated by the biased English press and face realities. You should have gotten it by now, instead of repeating that mantra again and again.

I feel this arguement is dead a long time ago, facts should have gotten to your biased mind a long time ago. Come back in 2 years time... Maybe even your L'pool heroes will win a Champions league title before then, so you can raise the arguement again. If you are lucky, maybe 4-5 English players are in that team then also!

Cheers!

Archived