EURO 2004 - The Results

Mentors

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, Eusebio is originally from Mozambique. He was bought by Benfica at a young age and played there for many years.

Mozambique was a Portuguese colony at that time which I think is why it was fairly easy for him to play for the Portuguese national team and become a legend (in Portugal).

Eusebio's still well respected in England for his talent and, most importantly, his sportsmanship. There's historically a good relationship between the English and the Portuguese (I haven't noticed any hooliganism following the result).

Surprised people would take an 'insult' about a WW2 mother seriously! I doubt checkbinkrap's that old, for a start! And any sympathy he's trying to engender should be tempered by the fact that he was trying to bait by being so darn anti-English to the point of racism. He's pretty much suggesting we're forever intrinsically inferior whereas we only just went out on penalties to a side which played pretty darn well, for fuck's sake.

Go Portugal and Czechs. Rather the Portuguese, actually, because they're hosting and haven't won it before. Rather not have the Dutch win it...

Why did you write more about England? England is out (same as always in the

last about 30 yrs) And what your popular shit paper The Sun did today, is more as shame and laughful. (showing the homepage address of the Swiss Referee, phantastic!) :onfire:

Are you really surprised, when everybody is talking about the English Hooligans? Sorry, but it seems that you are one of them. ( i hope i'm wrong)

Your Empire has ended (with leave behind a chaos in other countries of course)

and your team is home like my boring team. Who care's?

I like to visit your Island, especially Scotland, but please understand, that we talk only about a game - here - football.

What i can do when my team was not able to make more as one score?

Shure, i'm also a bit angry about players who earns a lot of money and must work only 3-4 hours a day (while they trying to hit the gate, day after day).

I mean, if your team win, do YOU become something? If your team lost a tournament, do YOU loose something? If not, please see what football is - just a game with 22 billionaries who are running behind a small ball of leather.

So, we should don't attack board members only because the (amazing) EM.

We don't earn the big money, the lame players make it.

Please, think about that, thank you!

Bibblies,

I'm really not going to enter a discussion with you regarding that "joke".

Back to the subject....

Bibblies wrote:

"It's not contradictory at all. England did have one of the best pools of players in the tournament. "

As a Greek player quoted the other day names on shirts don't win games.

He's right and the fact that England has fantastic individuals (like Holand) doesn't mean shit. Compared to other teams they're obviously not good enough.

Portugal (as you admitted yourself) was the better team and won. Not because England sat back as you believe, but because they were outplayed by a team.

France is a great example...superb players and a pisspoor team. Individual skills got them first place in the group but eventually they'd go down. And deservedly they did go down tonight.

Players can't win tournaments anymore as in the past (maradona..). They can win matches, but the tournaments are reserved for well-functioning teams.

Using quick reply so not specifically to Mentors.

To All:

I normally take a hands-off approach to moderating as many of you well know from months if not years of participation in this forum. The one thing I will not tolerate is flaming.

Keep it focused on the games.

Understood?

I doubt this will temper the mood much on this thread, but England can take at least a few positives out of their latest loss. First, Ashley Cole was superb, and showed why he deserved his place over Bridge. He cooly slotted the penalty home, and consistently won the battle over a talented Ronaldo. Second, Phillip Neville was very impressive, probably as good as anyone on the right side in the tourney. Third, Frank Lampard, after maybe 115-120 matches this year, still managed to score. Scholes? Who? And finally, Sol. Surely, he (along w/ Rooney) was England's best player.

I concur with several others that the talent was there for England, but the better side on the night, Portugal, won. Congrats, Zaad, for that.

Spain, what a mess.

France? The wrong time to have a poor day at the office. They missed Paddy, and Mr. Trez did little. Thought Saha-Henry would have been more efficient, but easy to say now. Silver lining? Much of the Arse squad gets some to to rest and heal. :)

Pundits have really been overlooking the Danes and Swedes - wonder if something special may come from one of those two nations.

Greece? After the debacle of the last World Cup, who would have expected it? Excellent managing and fine organization. Well done.

out from China.

froggo (not to be confused with the French team)

Archived