Non-famous attractions in LOS

Zaad

Hi,

I went to Ratchaburi last week with the entire family for an anual trip in Thailand (each year a different location) and one of the things we did/see was visiting a cave with millions of bats in it.

These bats are supposedly to come out at 18:30 in order to hunt for their food at night.

Few minutes prior we stood a few hundred metres in front of the cave to see the action. Later on they came flying right above us not more than 5 metre or so.

Maybe not they most beautiful thing to see, but it surely is an amazing sight to see zillions of bats flying in line out of their cosy 'little' home. They fly out in hundreds at the same time and it keeps going for over an hour...(that's what they told us as we left after 10 minutes) go figure about the cave's supply of these animals. Anyway, it's very nice (and weird) to see a smoke-like cloud in the sky knowing it are 'vampires' :)

Any other non-famous, but interesting, things to see or do in Thailand?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Zaad,

I wonder if this is the same place that was mentioned in the newspapers during a total solar ecclipse a few years back.

It was recommended that people went to the cave to watch the awesome spectacle when millions of bats fooled by the ecclipse would pour out of the cave.

Someone evidently forgot to tell the bats about the ecclipse or they just didn´t give a damn, because not even one small bewildered bat showed itself.

And the thousands of hopefull spectators had to settle for the ecclipse "only". ::

Sure would like to check this place out myself, love bats, I find them to be amazing creatures and they are on my side against the mossies.

Must be tons of guano in that cave.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Zaad said:

Any other non-famous, but interesting, things to see or do in Thailand?

Well, there is the Khao Chagan "arboretum" where you can climb a thousand steps to the top of the rock. Afterwards you can buy some bananas to feed to the monkeys (and mean little f*ckers they are, too).

TH

Fidel,

"Have you been to the Tiger Sanctuary outside Kanchanaburi?

The tigers roam around un-chained. You can pet them and play with them."

Never, but I put it on the list, thanks for the suggestion.

Won't play with them though, not for me, I don't trust predators EVER! No matter how calm and tame certain animals may look, the aggressiveness and killer-instict inside them will never die. And it has nothing to do with fear, just prefer to use common sense :)

Hua Nguu,

Good one :)

You can't enter the cave btw. This cave is located high on a mountain and it seems very unreachable to me. Don't think people are allowed to enter it.

Well, there is the Khao Chagan "arboretum" where you can climb a thousand steps to the top of the rock. Afterwards you can buy some bananas to feed to the monkeys (and mean little f*ckers they are, too).

Sounds like a good and adventurous way to escape the daily stress....where is this mountain located? Province?

Zaad said:

Sounds like a good and adventurous way to escape the daily stress....where is this mountain located? Province?

I'm afraid I was being somewhat facetious, but it is a nice place for a picnic (when you can get the monkeys to stay away).

Khao Chagen is located on highway 317 in Sae Kaeo province about 30km south of Sae Kaeo town.

Takes about 2-3 hours from Bangkok, depending on the route you take.

TH

Here are a few:

Siberian Duck Pond

Can be found in sub-soi 3 about 1 KM off Lad Prao soi 107. It is a ~150 rai pond where 10s of 1000s of migrating ducks: red ones from Manchuria & northern China and teal ones from the Netherlands. They get there in late November and stay until late February. Khun Adul Sukkul: 0-2377-9010.

Thai Air Force Museum

Free admission, but must a) be a group of ~10 or more, B) send a letter to Director of Administrative Services, Royal Thai Air Force, 171 The Royal Thai Air Force, Phahon Yothin Rd., Sikan, Don Muang, Bangkok 10120, 0-2534-1764 to get an invite. Cool things there (if you are a airplane/history geek like me) are the Corsaire Model 1 (only remaining example in the world), the Tachikawa Model 6 Ki-36 (only two in the world) and the all Thai designed & built Boripatr Bomber Model II built during the reign of Rama VII.

Pet Fish Farm

All of the people of this "village" raise fish. Fish are bred in krachang, bamboo cages so that they can stay in their natural habitat; each family has 30-40 krachang and each krachang has 300-400 fish in it. Moo 5, Tawan Lane, Pracha Ruamchai Rd., Saikongdin, Klong Samwa, Bangkok 10510 0-2916-9944.

Pudthaisawan Sword Fighting Institute

They teach muay Thai, one- and two-handed sword fighting, the arts of using the stick, wooden & iron swords and pikes. Farangs welcome. They have three age groups: 6-9 years, 10-14 years and 15+ years; each group has both men & women. 5/1 Phet Kasem Rd., Nongkangplu, Nongkhaem, Bangkok 10160, 0-2421-1906

MooBaan Laos and their bamboo flute makers

The ancestors of the folks who live here were POWs from Vientiane who brought with them knowledge of making local woodwind instruments such as the kului flute and the khaen. There are about 20 families here still making the flutes. 343 behind Rajabhat Institute, Bansomdej Chao Phraya, Itsaraphap Soi 15, Hirunrujee, Thonburi, bangkok 10600, 0-2465-2880.

That should keep you busy for a while!

Archived