Did I get screwed or what ? $1140 LAX To BKK?

short-time

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
carlton68 said:

Hi thalenoi,

a friend travelled last december, germany - BKK some 440 Euros for a return ticket, Royal Brunei if I'm not wrong. He decided to go only 4 weeks before departure and was surprised to find such a good rate.

I saw similar prices lately, but not sure if the cheap seats are sold out.

In fact it gets expensive for stays over 30 or 45 days, add season effect to this...

since I stay anywhere from 3 to 6 months I buy my ticket in Bangkok, but this time I will need to stay at least 2 months in the cold....too many hospital stuff.....I do have a ticket valid for 6 months stay, these are expensive....

Yes, the August fares look quite expensive at this point in time. I noticed a pretty big drop starting Sept 1, so although I would have preferred to go in Aug., I just booked an economy RT SFO - BKK leaving 9/1 return 11/1 on United (there were cheaper flights on other carriers but I need to rack up the miles on UA) for US$734.50 which is a little steep but not too bad. If I see the fare drop at all between now and departure, I can always get them to issue me a voucher for the difference, good for future travel, without having to pay any reticketing fees.

But, if you want to go in Aug. looks like you have to pay top dollar this year.

I checked Orbitz and for the same dates and flight numbers their price was $1205? and no - these prices are not for deluxe class.

However, on the Orbitz site their best fare for the same dates with similar times was $738 using a combination of Delta/China Air/Eva carriers which would have been ok for the savings. Don?t know if Orbitz quoted prices include all taxes, fees and mailing expenses etc.

I?ll give them a try for my December trip, but I have to bite the bullet on this one. ::

Thanks to all for the responses.

ST

I never again will buy a paper ticket...

E-tickets are best...I lose my tickets all the time and hate the mess it can make for re-issue. I need to be a whoremonger travel agent because I have never paid the prices alot of you guys pay for limited service ie...economy! AT 900 to 1500 from the west coast RT to BKK seems a little over the top. I usually find the itinerary through Yahoo, Aol, or Travelocity (I know they are really the same) Then cross reference with certain travel agencies I use then with prices and itinerary I call either Delta, UAL, EVA, CA, or Thai and get the fare I need. Other times I'll just use all those FF miles and grab a ticket. I like to get a good deal too not wanting to waste unnecessarily when possible.

SB

thalenoi said:

In fact it gets expensive for stays over 30 or 45 days, add season effect to this...

since I stay anywhere from 3 to 6 months I buy my ticket in Bangkok, but this time I will need to stay at least 2 months in the cold....too many hospital stuff.....I do have a ticket valid for 6 months stay, these are expensive....

Right you are, these tickets cost more. Kuwait Airways is an option, I had mixed experiences with them but the tickets were valid for 6 month for the normal price. The long stopover in Kuwait is not so nice however. Two to four hours to kill. And you need to give your return date when booking, changing dates was 50$ in 1999/2000, as far as I remember.

Archived