Did I get screwed or what ? $1140 LAX To BKK?

short-time

Just bought a RT ticket on EVA air for August and was very surprised at the high price I had to pay. Could have got Thai Air for about $860, but have never liked their arrival/departure times.

What kind of prices have you guys been paying for summer flights leaving from the West coast? The price I paid seems very high. Is it the worthless U$ dollar or what? Hell, fuel hasn't gone up that much or has it?

ST

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ST,

Just been going through this myself. :(

Travel agent here in Hawaii (who always has the best rates here), just explained that the airlines are now impossing a $40 fuel surcharge, and now is also conciderd a "high season" in BKK. :: Will be better for travel in Sept. ($467.00 ++). And if going JAL, travel on a Fri., Sat, or Sunday is concidered a 'weekend, resulting in an extra $30 charge (but has always been like that with JAL). China Air does not impose that.

It is defininately expensive to go there now. I'm having to pay $670 from Hawaii on JAL. China is $50.00 cheaper, but must go Narita, Taipai, then BKK, getting in at 1am. Fuck that!

What really kills me is the newspaper ads here. Cheapest rate to Japan is $619 ++ for Narita, and $606 ++ to BKK????? How can BKK be cheaper, when you must go to Narita/Osaka/Taipai to even reach BKK, from the west coast? ::

Fustrating, to say the least. I'll investigate further tomorrow, and will let you know. :banghead:

HT

Seems the trend is bad for us, the travellers.

A few years back I paid between 500 and 600 euro for a Europe-bkk ticket.

The last three years prices have gone up steadily to 800 and over 1k euro.

In december 2003 I paid 900 for a return.

March this year I checked with my usual companies, ask price was around 1k. I found a ticket on China Airlines valid 6 months at 725 euro and I guess I was lucky.

Unfortunately over 1k euro I give up.....does not seem to get better in the near future though :onfire:

Hi thalenoi,

a friend travelled last december, germany - BKK some 440 Euros for a return ticket, Royal Brunei if I'm not wrong. He decided to go only 4 weeks before departure and was surprised to find such a good rate.

I saw similar prices lately, but not sure if the cheap seats are sold out.

No...

If you want to go now with specific times you pay what the trip is worth to you. If 1140 is to much then why did you buy!

Wait...LAX to BKK one-way! That would be a stretch.

Skibum

Yes, unfortunately I think you got screwed ,unless you're booked on Eva Evergreen Deluxe Class, which has business class like seats, which is worth it. Used them last week LAX-BKK, Deluxe Class is great for much more room over coach.

I just put in some August dates in Orbitz, and got $738.00, including taxes and fees, round trip LAX-BKK, with an arrival time of 1105am Flight #211 into BKK, on Eva Air, economy class.

I have used Orbitz before, and they are no problem, no hidden fees or bullshit :)

I got the fare here: www.orbitz.com

WAs quoted $1405 on a few U.S. cariers... SFO-BKK for a 5 day holiday, leaving on a Thursday morning, returning on a Tuesday morning, looks like I'll be trying to use my passes for this one...flight is all ready filling up though...what is it with BKK all of a sudden? appears to be no real slow season this year...

My flights from LAX-TPE-BKK May 28, and back this month were full, not one seat open. 747-400 and A330-200 aircraft Eva Air. LAX-BKK $650.00 round trip, starting October. June,July,August have the highest prices.

Dirt cheap specials from Airlines themselves, Asiana,Korean,Singapore are usually in Feb,March,April,May, I've noticed. Asiana had a special for May 2004 LAX-BKK $525.00 R/T.

I'll go and spend $600 to $900, but getting $1200,$1300+ quotes is not what I'm willing to spend. Fortunately, I can usually take my vacations when convenient for me and the airfares are at rockbottom.

Archived