Le tour de France

BelgianBoy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In spite of its cobblestone quaintness (and assuming tomorrow's sprint doesn't result in a treacherous pile-up and the first bit of drama), I would like to take this opportunity to thank in advance the Wallonian caretakers in inagurating this year's tour, before turning it over to their neighboring namesake hosts, for their enthusiastic support, meticulous organization and spectacular scenery. Merci.

sfinkz said:

My prediction for the winner? Invaluable seasoning from last year's strong showing and ready to move up to the top echelon, Iban Mayo will surge to the lead in his native Pyrenees and have the mettle to hold on in the Alps. His team, (Eusk-Eusk) however, is undergoing the most intense doping scrutiny.

Mayo fell today and lost already 4 minutes............ Amatrong is 4th at 16 seconds, Ulrich follows at 15 seconds.....

1/2 Belgian guy won today, McEwen was 3rd but takes yellow jersey.

BB

OUCH! I was prepared for Mayo to lose time in Wednesday's team trial but it was also an inferior team which cost him today. And it wasn't the aforementioned cobbles (making their first appearance in a tour in 19 years; although they are tradition should they have been included?) but rather the jostling by the peloton prior to them to be at the front and avoid the blinding dust and ensuing crashes which put him down as The Big Three were safely shepherded out of harms way. Of those, my new guy, then, is Hamilton, also deserving after last year's gritty performance.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

That CSC is the first team plays a value or a role only in the Vuelta, who gives a shit in the TdF ???

And Basso is the lesser time trial rider anyway......

Unless personal injury or accident, Amstrong is the winner this year.

Amen.

I forgot to mention another looser yesterday : Ulrich.... again he was nowhere.....

BB

The fact that CSC is first in the general classification in this Tour is a big boost for Basso, since team support plays a major role. Lance has depended heavily on his team so far to stay where he is (his only yellow jersey stage was due to his team stage win). Also Lance is really getting old for this sport, not so for Basso. The time trial coming up is straight up Alps D'Huez, so a climber like Basso may have the advantage.

dearjohnboy said:

Also Lance is really getting old for this sport, not so for Basso. The time trial coming up is straight up Alps D'Huez, so a climber like Basso may have the advantage.

After reading the Armstrong book "it not about the bike" I would never bet against Lance. The man has a drive that is just unbealiveable, plus he really loves the mountains.

John,

I guess you may not really follow the Tour as I do.....

Being the first team is not a goal most teams persue, no price nor money to be gained there, only first price of the yellow jersey.

Then again, tactics imply that Lance does NOT want the YJ too soon, cost too many efforts for the team.

Basso might be a good climber, he is a bad time trial rider, also up mountain.

We'll see.... I claim the TdF is over, unless an accident happens.

BB

Archived