Le tour de France

BelgianBoy

i used to follow the Tour a few Years ago quite avidly,but these Days i just don't get to see it that much.

caught a little bit of it today and i saw something which puzzled me.

a rider had a minor fall and slightly injured his left buttock and tore his shorts.

well he dropped back and got a little medical attention while on the move with someone cleaning the injury with antiseptic etc.

now he was holding onto the car,not peddling.

is this legal?,the car could have been going at 70 MPH and giving him a rest and catching up with the Peleton.

surely he was gaining some sort of advantage?,anyone with any thoughts?.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, fignon, Ullrich, not fignon vs Ullrich. Just quoted the possible, as a matter of opinion, few winners unexpected to win at the start. If any one interested, here are the last winners from 1984 (very very few "surprises"):

2003 Lance Armstrong (USA)

2002 Lance Armstrong (USA)

2001 Lance Armstrong (USA)

2000 Lance Armstrong (USA)

1999 Lance Armstrong (USA)

1998 Marco Pantani (Italie)

1997 Jan Ullrich (All)

1996 Bjarne Riis (Dan)

1995 Miguel Indurain (Esp)

1994 Miguel Indurain (Esp)

1993 Miguel Indurain (Esp)

1992 Miguel Indurain (Esp)

1991 Miguel Indurain (Esp)

1990 Greg Lemond (USA)

1989 Greg Lemond (USA)

1988 Pedro Delgado (Esp)

1987 Stephen Roche (Irlande)

1986 Greg Lemond (USA)

1985 Bernard Hinault (Fr)

1984 Laurent Fignon (Fr)

thanks for your thoughts Mr.P

i wondered because the attention given to the rider was shown on Eurosport in all it's glory.

i saw his arse hanging out of his lycra and an old man was touching him up..... :nono:

but the commentators saw it all and made all sorts of comments,but no mention was made of what he was doing might be wrong.

i think Sean Kelly(ex TDF rider) ? is a commentator and he said nothing about what happened.

i sometimes find the race boring but a time trial up the Alp D'ase(sorry for spelling)will be good viewing.

i love this stage each Year and a short time trial will sort out the men from the boys.

22 switchbacks and no team members to help you,you are on your own for those Minutes.

this is what makes me admire these Guys.

20 odd days cycling long distances and then getting back in the saddle the next Day........amazing.

but a lung bursting,leg destroying sprint in the Alps shows what they can do after all that training.

was it this stage that Bobby Simpson died in 67?.

Tom Simpson he was. From what I remember of that pix showing his gasping silouhette cycling alone towards his death with the barren mountain looming all around him, I think it was on the Mt Ventoux ascent. Incredible lunar landscape, this place. Not on the itinerary this year.

Sayjann,

Todays' time trial is on Alpe d'Huez :p

And yesterday Kloden fell and was taken care of by the TdF riding doctor. He can only do that while hanging on, that is allowed. The doctors' car is a white car and well marked.

During the first week, riders were quieing to get treatment....

Any rider is never allowed to even touch any other car at all during the race.

Hope this clears it up.

BB

only saw the highlights tonight but thought the battle between Virenque and the other Guy up the big hill was great.

Virenque fought well to catch up and by the time he got to the line he was fucked and let the other Guy take the 'win'.

i like riders like Virenque,Cippolni(such a great character,thought nothing of having a cigarette or pushing an opponent of his bike)and the late great Marco Pantani.

they raved about Armstrong winning the last Time Trial,but Pantani is still the fastest man up the Alp d'uez(sorry for spelling again).

BB.

as you know i noted your comments about the riders receiving treatment while holding onto a car.

noticed it again today,a rider was tended by someone in a BLACK car and he held on and was not peddling.

i thought you said that the only cars permitted to have any contact with the riders were the Official Doctors Car which is WHITE?.

did i see something illegal or did i get it wrong again?

Archived