Le tour de France

BelgianBoy

you may be biased as an American Steve,but Eddy wins hands down and even BB admits that.

Mr M.was a totally different rider and took part in races all over Europe and won many of them.

taking nothing away from Armstrong and his Medical problems but he rarely races in Europe or over a Year.

he decided to concentrate on TDF,maybe to make history.

to me someone who took part in and won race series in France/Spain and Italy is more deserving of the best cyclist.

can Armstrong claim this accolade?......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

now I read BBs link

"Eddy Merckx was voted Belgian sportsman of the year six times and on three occasions he earned the title International Sportsman. On December 15 2000 Merckx was voted Belgian sportsman of the century."

Still I think my post is correct! :neener:

:beer:

elef

Sorry, still gotta go with cancerous balls. And I am very biased...do you know the joy of Americans that a Yank is dominating a French competition?! :D

Okay, I'll leave your thread now. I've done enough inciting for one day. ::

he had won 4 times already, then stayed away in 74, came back in 75

---------------------------

BB, it's in 73 he did not race, and Ocana won. He won in 74, and that was his 5th time indeed (69, 70, 71, 72, 74). The year Van Impe won in 76, Merckx did not race and retired too. At least i think he retired after 75, I may be wrong here.

Are you sure he lost because of that incident. i remember the mountain stage when merckx was way ahead, we frenchies were already bracing for another obvious cannibal affair as he led the tour and then thevenet caught him and this was the day he lost the tour, his last.

I was wrong. Eddy stopped in 78. I will let others find if he raced the TDF in 76, I don't think he did.

here is a little googled sum up of the cannibal's racing life. The greatest indeed (1 fucking race won out of every 4!!!):

Lance Armstrong may have won the Tour de France 6 times but in no way could he claim to dominate the sport like "The Cannibal" did in the 1970's. Few riders today race more than 100 days a year, Merckx averaged 140 races per year between 1969 and 1973. One of only four cyclists to win the tours of France, Italy and Spain during his career, he was 3 times World Champion, held the one-hour distance record and also holds the record for the most Tour de France stage wins.

Eddy Merckx was born in Belgium in 1945 and by an early age had already been nicknamed "Tour de France" by his neighbours. He became amateur World Champion in 1964 and turned professional in 1965. In 1967, with the real World Champion's rainbow jersey on his back, he won the Giro d'Italia and a handful of other major races. This was the start of his domination of bike racing. By the time Merckx retired in 1978, he had won 445 races out of 1582 starts, including the Tour de France 5 times, the Giro d'Italia 4 times and the Vuelta D'Espana.

Here are the highlights of the career of Eddy Merckx...

1964 amateur World Champion

1966 Milan - San Remo, GP Cerami

1967 World Champion, Milan - San Remo, Ghent - Wevelgem, Fleche Wallone

1968 Giro d'Italia, Paris - Roubaix, Tour of Sardinia, Tour de Romandie, Tour of Catalonia, Tre Valle Varesine

1969 Tour de France, Milan - San Remo, Tour of Flanders, Liege - Bastogne - Liege, Paris - Nice, Paris - Luxembourg, Super Prestige Pernod

1970 Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Paris - Roubaix, Ghent - Wevelgem, Fleche Wallone, Tour of Belgium, Coppa Agostoni, Belgian National Champion, Super Prestige Pernod

1971 World Champion, Tour de France, Milan - San Remo, Het Volk, Liege - Bastogne - Liege, GP Frankfurt, Tour of Lombardy, Tour of Belgium, Tour of Sardinia, Paris - Nice, Dauphine Libere, Midi Libre, Super Prestige Pernod

1972 Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Milan - San Remo, Liege - Bastogne - Liege, Fleche Wallone, GP Escaut, Tour of Lombardy, Fleche Brabanconne, Giro dell'Emilia, Super Prestige Pernod

1973 Giro d'Italia, Tour of Spain, Het Volk, Ghent - Wevelgem, Paris - Roubaix, Amstel Gold, Liege - Bastogne - Liege, Paris - Brussels, Tour of Sardinia, GP Fourmes, GP Nations, Super Prestige Pernod

1974 World Champion, Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Super Prestige Pernod

1975 Milan - San Remo, Amstel Gold, Tour of Flanders, Liege - Bastogne - Liege, Tour of Sardinia, Catalan Week, Super Prestige Pernod

1976 Milan - San Remo, Catalan Week

Archived