Man eaters in King Park?

stonepony

Went to Kings Park (not sure if this is the exact name) and was strolling along a path near some cool looking Chinese building. Something runs through the bushes then splashes into the water. My heart skips a beat, my sweetie drops our ice cream and nearly breaks my ear drum and takes off running.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? ?like alligator but not same same? WHAT? ?like alligator but not same same? YOUR TELLING ME THERE IS CROCODILE IN THERE? ?what crocodile? WTF

Anyway, later on we see three more of these beasts (one on land and two swimming in the water). I got a close look at one when he was swimming underneath the bridge. They look more like those Dragon Lizards from that South Pacific Islands but only smaller. The one I saw close up looked to be about five to six feet in length.

Now I'm guessing that these beasts must be harmless since this is a public place and we can?t have man eaters roaming the public parks. But then again I?m sure both alligators and Dragon Lizards find human flesh very tasty.

So whats up with these things, are they related to the Dragon Lizard, how big do they get and most important are they meat eaters or plant eaters?

Sounds like a Monitor Lizard, probably scared of you, seeing it ran away.

But they are meat eaters, and, particularly the ones found on Komodo Island in Indonesia, the bacteria in their saliva can cause very serious infections should you get a bite or nip.

Also, unlikely to attack a human unless cornered, more likely to be living off soi rats.

Cheers

Coss

shygye said:

I have seen monitor lizards (3 to 4 feet) in Lumpini Park. They avoid people. ::

Same here.They are very common and I have seen them eating carrion(a dead duck on one occasion).I have seen them scavenging in rubbish near Raylee beach in the south.

stonepony said:

KS, 3 to 4 feet was on the small side from what I saw at Kings Park. Not only were they big but they were very quick which can be a very lethal combination.

Does anybody know how big these lizards can get?

From what I have observed , they do grow a bit larger , but they metamorphisis into what's known as a " kathoey " :drunk:

BadajurrasicparkBing ::

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I have seen monitor lizards (3 to 4 feet) in Lumpini Park."

3 to 4 feet??? You are shitting us, right?

Sanuk!

Nope, I have seen them that size regularly in Lumpini, too. Wife says that it is a sign of good luck if you see one!

Here is more info. In a nutshell: to over 2m long and weigh up to 25kg. Males are larger than females. Juveniles are more colourful. Status in Singapore: Quite common, particularly in habitats near water. World distribution: Asian subcontinent from India (and Sri Lanka) to China, down Southeast Asia to Indonesia, the Philippines, New Guinea islands in the Indian Ocean and South China Sea. Classification: Family Varanidae, Suborder Sauria, Order Squamata.

Cheers,

SD

Khun Sanuk,

Aloha and greetings from the land of big surf and string bikinis! Whenever I'm in Bangkok, I usually jog around Lumpini Jogging Path. The length of the jogging path is 2.4 kilometers and I usually see a 3.5 ft. Monitor Lizard (Ai Hee Ya) occasionally. Please don't call Thais Ai Hee Ya, unless you want to fight with them!

Aloha

Large PP

Archived