Farenheit 9/11

itsmedave

Hello Bangkok Friends!

When Dee and I were in the United States this summer, we went to an early screening of Michael Moore's documentary about the Bush administration, "Farenheit 9/11". Although we were in a decidedly Republican conservative state, OKlahoma, the theatre was packed, and I experienced something unlike I'd ever seen in a theatre.

People both laughed and cried during the film, and broke out in spontaneous applause no fewer than 7 times during the film, and then again upon its completion. For those who support or do not support this President's reelection, it is something to see.

Now, back in Bangkok, I stopped by Panthip Plaza and sure enough, there was a copy of the film available on DVD. I purchased it, and the quality is quite good. If you are interested, I would like to set up an evening where you can come to our house, eat some pizza, and watch the film. I think it is better seen in a crowd, where there are others around to discuss the issues presented. Please write me back if you would be interested in getting togther.

Thanks,

Your friend,

David Amitin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does have Thai subtitles, but I can't vouch for their accuracy. I looked at a minute of the English subtitles, and they were off a bit.

Your daughters are welcome, but I should warn this movie was rated R for a reason. There is some very graphic war footage, including the aftermath of bodies and people dying which turns the stomach of this adult. Powerful stuff.

I am thinking about a night sometime next week, midweek. Gummigut and Cosmic Surfer are also interested. Are you available then, or would a weekend be better?

Dave

itsmedave said:

Hello Bangkok Friends!

<snip>

If you are interested, I would like to set up an evening where you can come to our house, eat some pizza, and watch the film. I think it is better seen in a crowd, where there are others around to discuss the issues presented. Please write me back if you would be interested in getting togther.

Thanks,

Your friend,

David Amitin

IMD-

Count me in. I've been waiting to see this film. Coupled with a great post view discussion, could be just what the doctor ordered. Got another board member who wants to go, too. Both of us would like to bring our TGF, too. Good for them to get an unbiased view of the real Amerika. ;)

PM with time, date, drink and food requests.

Tuesday is Londoner Quiz Night, so no good. Friday is Gullivers meet.

-KK

Okay. It seems like most people ARE available mid week.

So, let's do it this Wednesday night, July 28 at 7ish. I live subway close, about a ten minute walk from the Asok exit of the subway, close to the Fortune Hotel.

Please PM me for complete directions. My living room isn't huge, so I think I will limit this showing to 8 guests to avoid people sitting on the floor.

BB - of course you are welcome to come by when you're in town. See you on Wednesday.

Hi Dave,

Wednesday is OK for me too. I think that the girls are old enough (16 & 15) and definitely smart enough to start forming their own opinion on world politics and need to see that things are not rosy everywhere. They dislike Bush & Toxin, but mainly because wifey & I do, I do not think they understand the implications of the actions of those folks in the long term.

But they are also at an age where they do not really like hanging out with their old man, so doubtful I can convince them to come (I will not order them to do so).

I have a big house with a correspondingly big living room if the crowd exceeds your capacity. If you like, I can host. I am just off Thonglor Soi 25. Just a thought...

Cheers,

SD

While I'm sure most of Moore's points have merit, let's hold off on the film being "an unbiased view of the real Amerika."

While my political views are pretty close to Moore's, the more I read about how he splices film together to make his movies the more pissed off I get about them being called documentaries. Really pissed off that he got an Oscar for his documentary about Columbine. If you take all the words I say in a month and splice them together I could sound like the worse mass murderer on earth. That's not a documentary.

<<burp>>

Thanks to Suadam for offering his (larger) house for our viewing of the film. It appears we will have at least 10 people now, which is a bit more than my living room can handle comfortably. So, we will move the party to Suadam's on Thonglor soi 25, for Wednesday the 28th at 7ish.

He also is low on beer, so if you're hankerin for a brewski, BYOB. I will send a map soon to those people who have RSVP'd. See you on Wednesday.

Dave

Archived