Are ex-whoremongers hypocrits?

MrX

>All of those excuses and rationales

Well, I would argue with that opening for a start, as I am fairly sure I said that my post was my take on it (for what it was worth)..... So, I really do not think I am rationalizing or excusing. Just giving my take.

>writes his opinion about the ills, harms, etc of prostitution in Bangkok yet he receives some form of benefit from making that commentary.

Well, again, I would say that Sticks (current) position ( as *I* read it) is more of "Its not worth it". Now we can spend the rest of the thread arguing about how *I* read the column, but well, that would be rather asinine would it not? I may be prepared to give you some points, but will not allow you to tell me how I read and comprehend something. Fair? *YOUR* take on the column may be different. Shrug. YMMV.

>I know that generally prostitution in Thailand is the result of a failed social, economic and political system.

I agree with you 100% on this. My position on this has been documented for years. I wish the girls had other VIABLE options ( we can discuss "viable" as a point of interest if you wish), which would start with REAL access to education....

>nor do I condemn the women in the scene.

That certainly does NOT make you unique.

>I will never adopt the stance that whores are a pestilence to society

Well, OK. here we go. I will stand corrected if you can show me a column from stick where he calls them "a pestilance to society". Thats seems fair.

-j-

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>I will never adopt the stance that whores are a pestilence to society(society allows prostitution), less than human and not capable of reformation or a fair shot at a normal life. The very fact that I derived benefit from willfully paying for a whore makes me no different than that whore. I know they are people the same as I with hopes dreams, etc. Who am I or any punter, pimp, reformed punter, bar owner, website rpomoter, etc, to judge them?<

I frequently disagree with your views, or the way you put them across, so i think it's only fair to let you know I agree with the above.

To call someone else a hypocryte though, I'm not sure. Who am I to judge them? like Stickman, I recognise some of the sad and unfortunate effects off the P4P secne for the girls. unlike Stick, i still actively partake from time to time. So who am I to judge?

Guest lazyphil

I would say the ex whoremongers who think they're better (and better marriage material for non bgs than bgs are for falangs) than the whores they used because they have good jobs or are educated etc are arrogant not hypocrites. I've heard it said here that falang ex WM's are more capable of brushing off their past than a bg is and able to move on!

Josh,

Please expand on your thinking that prostitution is a "product of failed systems".

I would think that prostitution existed way before all "these failed systems" were in place and as these systems change over time.

It has always been the knock on capitalism as it allows the worst of mankind to flourish in crime, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, etc. Look what happened with russia and prostitution the other eastern block countries when they changed their systems? Are they better off as a society or worse? As individuals?

Isn't the capitalistic model inherently a failed model by design then? Is it not based on the premise that the greater good of that society will benefit which will greatly outweigh the inherent negatives?

Why would prostitution be any differ significantly from one country or society to another?

What is interesting is the high proportion of prostitutes in relationship to the general population within thailand.

I think it is much more of a reflection of the unique thai culture which not only allows its vitality and existence but actually promotes it. More along the lines of success breeds success rather than failure; granted at the expense of some to benefit others.

No one has yet to convince me that it is out of economic necessity that prostitution does so well here. If that was the case, african nations, south america and some other poorer asian countries would challenge LOS for the prostitution capital of the world.

Unfortunately or fortunately, LOS seems like they recognize prostitution as a way to attract/generate business (domestic and international), something that they are good at (no pun intended) and willfully market it.....

Put it another way, ask yourself why do guys choose to come here vs going elsewhere? In terms of numbers...

It gets down to the way they package the product (price, external environment (though much less so than before), personality/looks of the girls, accessibility/availability, convenience, etc)......

Cardinalblue

josh_ingu said:

>All of those excuses and rationales

Well, I would argue with that opening for a start, as I am fairly sure I said that my post was my take on it (for what it was worth)..... So, I really do not think I am rationalizing or excusing. Just giving my take.

>writes his opinion about the ills, harms, etc of prostitution in Bangkok yet he receives some form of benefit from making that commentary.

Well, again, I would say that Sticks (current) position ( as *I* read it) is more of "Its not worth it". Now we can spend the rest of the thread arguing about how *I* read the column, but well, that would be rather asinine would it not? I may be prepared to give you some points, but will not allow you to tell me how I read and comprehend something. Fair? *YOUR* take on the column may be different. Shrug. YMMV.

The question posed to you was not was your take on Stick's personal position. JXXXl asked you how can you say he is not a hypocrite based on the fact that he criticizes the scene and yet economically benefits from his website regardless of if the motive is intentional or not. You never answered the question, instead you went into a litany of circumstantial rationales such as he is an "observer",he is a "commentator", he is "maturing". None of these answer the fundamental question posed to you of if Stick is against prostitution then why does he allow himself to benefit from it. Why does he post information about the inner doings of the nightlife? Why is the majority of his readership and contributors whoremongers? Why does he have banners linked to businesses in the scene? Why publicly bite the hand that feeds you? The basis of hypocrisy is to profess/proclaim a conviction. Example, I hate dealing with the people in the business I am in but for the amount of money I am making, I tell them all that they are a great bunch of guys. No conviction in what I procalim which also makes me a liar to boot.

Personally, I can care less about what Stick does his opinions or business plans. What I am commenting on has more to do with how your evading the question put to you by JXXL. Is the man a hypocrite or not?

>nor do I condemn the women in the scene.

That certainly does NOT make you unique.

Never said it did and I am not looking for adulations or kudos, thus I am curious as to why you would make such a comment.

Well, OK. here we go. I will stand corrected if you can show me a column from stick where he calls them "a pestilance to society". Thats seems fair.

-j-

Not talking about Stick, I am talking about myself. I never quoted or infered that he said such. maybe you didn't understand that in my one post I comment on 2 topics that share the same basis. the first is your rationales that do not explain the question JXXXL asked you . The second my personal take on hypocrisy and how I view it in regards to my participation in the scene.

In my experience, for the majority of (long term) residents, the bar scene becomes more of a "background" noise than a prime reason for being here

----------------------------------------

So, the impression given by the board is wrong? It just seemed to me that a lot of "expats" enjoy the scene, going thru the NL section. The impression is even more consequent, if reading Npong board.

Yes, that impression is wrong. First you have to realize that this is a nightlife board, so the people participating on this forum are hardly representative for the expat population. And even from those active on the board, the majority of the expats that I personally know, are hardly ever in the bars.

Cheers,

soongmak

soongmak said:

Yes, that impression is wrong. First you have to realize that this is a nightlife board, so the people participating on this forum are hardly representative for the expat population. And even from those active on the board, the majority of the expats that I personally know, are hardly ever in the bars.

Cheers,

soongmak

I would say, people like me who have zero interest in the nightlife still come here and sometimes offer an advice from their past experiences or second-hand info (given by their ex-p4p wives or gfs) to the new members.

soongmak said:

And even from those active on the board, the majority of the expats that I personally know, are hardly ever in the bars.

soongmak

How do you define "hardly ever in the bars"? I average about 2 hours total in go-go bars per 15 days in Thailand and I am not an expat, even though I keep an apartment there all year round.

On the other hand I have a mobile full of favorite ladies that I may call from time to time.

What would you say is the total amount of time an expat indulges in P4P in Thailand?

I hear alot on this board about how expats get bored of the bar scene or hardly ever go to the bars but that is not indicative of how much time expats spend engaged in P4P. Seems to me that there is a misperception or myth that expats don't engage or are active in P4P simply because they do not "go to the bars" the same as tourists do.

Archived