Are ex-whoremongers hypocrits?

MrX

>Someone like Stickman......... is definitely a hypocrit.

--------------------------------

Or an expat trying to do business in Thailand!

Or just some one who came here as a relatively young man and is now older, more experienced and maybe (or maybe not) wiser? or at least one who may realize that few issues are black and white.

I for one am sure that Sticks positions on life in general, and perhaps the scene in particular will change again over time as he further matures and confronts and lives through further life experiences.

In many ways, we should be more worried about people who DONT change their opinions in reponse to their life experiences. They are the ones who REALLY worry me.

-j-

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh,

I don't think there's any issue with a person maturing and changing their opinion - don't assume that maturing would adversly change one's opinion to whoring. But, don't you think it's hypocritical to critize something while taking money from the suppliers? Please address this. It would be like the anti-smoking lobby taking money from the tobacco companies.

hmmmmm, let me make it real simple for you.

1. Expat businessman in Thailand = no problem.

2. Expat businessman takes advertising from whore vendor = no problem.

3. Said expat businessman says whoring is bad = conflict.

Do you see my point? If not, perhaps I can make you a ven diagram.

I thought the topic is/are hypocrits?

>But, don't you think it's hypocritical to critize something while taking money from the suppliers?

Obviously stick himself would be best placed to address your point, however (for the little it is worth), I really don't see much of a problem. Stick styles himself as a "Bangkok commentator", at least partly (and fairly much if you read his columns) on the nightlife. So taking money does not seem so illogical.

However (again FWIW), Sticks position has always more seemed "its not worth it" rather than out right condemnation of the bar scene (although, I am prepared to be corrected on this). And, to be fair, I would by and large agree with him. In my experience, for the majority of (long term) residents, the bar scene becomes more of a "background" noise than a prime reason for being here. I (personally) do go (rarely) to the go-go's etc, BUT in all most 100% of cases it is to meet friends and talk and catch up rather than any serious "girl stuff" shall we say. The go go's add a minimum of flavour, more to give a more "uninhibited" good time atmosphere than any other thing.

Stick has changed, his priorities and views have changed. although he still see's himself as an "observer" of the scene (and commentator). In many ways sticks column is more interesting for the documentation of changes in *him* rather than any deep commentry on the bangkok scene (sorry stick!). Very few residents (I think), would ever give more than a passing glance to sticks column, and I would bet good money that the largest proportion (by far) of his readers are people *outside* of the kingdom (correction here stick?).

To be very honest, what always surprises me is that people take his column so seriously. Its one mans take. Thats it. Nothing more and nothing less. The way people go on you would think that his columns had been chiseled in stone and passed down from Mount Arafat.

However, I will add here, that despite the (to me at least the flaws in sticks column) I do very much respect his ability to be able to produce, week after week a readable column. Trust me, its HARD to do that.

"To be very honest, what always surprises me is that people take his column so seriously. Its one mans take. Thats it. Nothing more and nothing less. The way people go on you would think that his columns had been chiseled in stone and passed down from Mount Arafat."

Never could take that fellow too serious either.

Hard to take a fella serious that takes 40 years to walk a couple hundred miles. Piss poor sense of direction if nothing else.

josh_ingu said:In many ways, we should be more worried about people who DONT change their opinions in reponse to their life experiences. They are the ones who REALLY worry me.

LOL. So true. But try explaining that to Republicans in the USA :(...

Cheers,

SD

"To be very honest, what always surprises me is that people take his column so seriously."

I simply held out Stickman as an example of hipocracy on the issue of whoring. I haven't read his column in a very long time as I don't really get anything out of it. I get a hell of a lot more entertainment and information out of this board.

Josh,

All of those excuses and rationales about Stick "maturing" or being an observer are quaint but they do not address the simple point that JXXL makes. Stick writes his opinion about the ills, harms, etc of prostitution in Bangkok yet he receives some form of benefit from making that commentary. His commentary is not neutral as if he were a reporter for the Associated Press, so therefore he is a hypocrite, especially if he derives any financial benefit from participants or promoters of prostitution in Thailand. He could easily write about his observations concerning every aspect of BKK that does not deal with prostitution, yet he doesn't because his readers don't want to read that stuff. They want to now about the barscene. The essence of his column is the barscene. I am also sure Stick is capitalizing from the success of his site, he doesn't have too. He can easily run his site ad free or refuse compensation. He benefits from the prostitution scene is the bottom line and he in the same breath preaches against it. A hell of a compromise in principles.

All of that nonsense from other posters talking about being a business man as if that is some exemption from hypocrisy is hogwash too. Businessmen are the worst because they seek PROFIT. You can't have it both ways and smell like roses .We are all hypocrites in some fashion but the worst are those who publicly preach their hypocrisy.

I know that generally prostitution in Thailand is the result of a failed social, economic and political system. I know that in a sense I am a predator if I indulge in it. Knowing this, I don't preach to others that what they do is morally wrong nor do I condemn the women in the scene. I hold punters and pimps to a higher moral standard(fucking laughable I know) than the women and thus know that we all fail in that regard. I live with this and choose my own form of penance and attempt to make a difference.

I will never adopt the stance that whores are a pestilence to society(society allows prostitution), less than human and not capable of reformation or a fair shot at a normal life. The very fact that I derived benefit from willfully paying for a whore makes me no different than that whore. I know they are people the same as I with hopes dreams, etc. Who am I or any punter, pimp, reformed punter, bar owner, website rpomoter, etc, to judge them?

Archived