Bosox: Could this be our year?

frogpatrol

Well, folks, here we go again. It is that time of year again when the New England tress start to change into a lovely impressionistic painting of bright colors and our Boston Red Sox are right where they always are...in the hunt, but behind the Bronx Bombers.

As always, we Bosox fans are filled with hope. A special kind of hope that is tinged with nearly a century of pain. We are a resilient bunch. Could this finally be the year when we send the Yankkes packing and go on to win it all? Could it be, Mr. Yaz? Could it be, Mr. Lynn? Could it be Mr. Teddy Williams? Could it finally be?

Some signs say it may well be our year. First, we have some damned good pitching, which in most Boston teams has never been the case. We can win 11-10 as usual, but also 1-0. Second, it is the hated Yankees, with their bloated salaries and big star, big city egos, that are collapsing. They lost 22-0 the other week. What a joy! Third, I don't remember too many Boston teams making a run of such monumental proportions. From 10 1/2 back to 2 1/2 back in under a month? Remarkable. It is Boston on a Sept run, and not a Sept collapse.

After Nomar left I thought, here we go again. But we have shored things up defensively and the team seems to be playing in striking harmony.

The pain, the dread, the tease. It is SEPT and it is all here again. New England holds its collective breath. Could this just be our year?

froggo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the Red Sox the other night v Texas Rangers. They almost blew a 6-1 lead in the 9th but held on to win 6-5. I first became interested in baseball when on vacation in the USA October 86. New York papers thought the Mets had only to turn up to win the World Series. Even I, who knew nothing about the curse of the Bambino at the time, was devasted at the outcome.

I would love to see the Sox win out, but they will have to get past the damn Yankees, and then NL Champions. Methinks you are beginning to get a touch of pennant fever.

First off, getting rid of Nomar was the best move you could have made.

Secondly, always nice to see the Yankees collapse, and I hate the bastards as much as anyone. BUT, the Red Sox are a bunch of overpaid crybabies just the same -- you guys just lose.

Look at the whole A-Rod deal. I think George hit it head on when he said that the Sox were unwilling to go that extra mile for their fans. The you don;'t get him and whine about the fact that the Yankees pay too much for players, boo hoo.

You guys are on a roll, but teh collapse is coming. If not in September, bet on October in the clutch.

But don't take my word for it, I'm just a bitter Mariners fan.

:cussing::banghead: :onfire: :doah:

stonepony said:

just hard for me to root for them when Pedro is pitching. Go Dodgers !!!

boooo!

Looks like the Yanks will increase their lead, though, as the Sox are losing and the Yanks are about to win a double header.

I'm pretty confident both will make the playoffs, though.

Pats 27 Indy 24!!! Can't believe the UBC fuckers didn't televise this one.

Bosox are the only Boston sports team I'll cheer for and that is only because I hate the Yankees (as much as I hate Man Utd). The enemy of my enemy is my friend type of thing working there.

Phillies are no where to be seen....as usual.

The only time I felt any sympathy for the Yanks was the world series after 9/11 and that was more sympathy for the city.

Brink15 said:

It's too early to start saying repeat but it looks good so far. :beer:
Awesome game to start off the NFL season. Pats defence didn't look very good, Manning was able to move the team at will, but Colts had many turnovers deep inside NE territory.

Got to admit Brady is one hell of a QB. People are starting to compare him to Montana. He definetly has the poise that Joe had.

Would it be unkind to tell you I very much enjoyed the game last night? :grinyes:

YES, Brink, it would!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

About the Brady/Montana comparisons which have been going on for a while, I think they are valid. Just like Montana, Brady is a monster in the playoffs/Super Bowl and at such a young age already has done what so many others (Marino comes to mind quickly) never did. He is a winner.

To me, the comparisons are valid.

froggo

Archived