Home Broadband not True

gummigut

Hi Khun_Kong,

>>> Just got back from the True office at Fortune Tower.

>>> Forgot they cannot open until 11:00.

>>> My noon business meeting means I wasted a trip. :Grrr:

For more information check out these threads and last postings:

Anyone know of the True Special Offer - 27.08.2004 - IB13

The mop, bucket and transceiver - 15.10.2004 - Johhn_Betong

Help, I have lost my internet connection - 17.11.2004 - Johhn_Betong

Bye the way I am still on Win 2000 :)

Cheers,

John Betong

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, JB.

BTW, looking for those posts reminded me once again-

Good board

But the Search function totally sucks!

Enter any of the title strings mentioned in your post and the Search returns any thread with the FIRST WORD of the string in it.

Shouldn't it return posts that have most/all of those words, even if not using the "and" search function?

Maybe I'm just being stupid.

HI,

From the 'Advanced Search Tips' link:

Use +keyword for required keywords.

Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.

Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.

Oh, and by default it only searches the last month (to reduce server load, searching is very server intensive)

Sanuk!

Gummi

Maybe you are too far down the line already but True also have an offer for Wifi networking at home - B7500 gets you the ADSL wireless modem router (3-Com) plus 6 months 'free trial' of True's service, though only the B590 256 kb job - I believe anything over 128 kbs is wasted if you are accessing sites outside Thailand anyway. Includes the same free line installation. I seem to have ended up with both deals - boring story - though I took the 2.5 Mb option at B1100 per month, we didn't have a phone line at all so that was handy. Very impressed so far.

LG

LG:

Thanks. I saw their website. Pretty big push. The WiFi/GPRS package looks pretty good.

But yes, I'm pretty far down the line already.

True is going to come tomorrow, but the guy was here tonight at 7:30 prepping everything for the install tomorrow. Pretty damn good! Hope I'll say that after tomorrow too when it's done :)

As for the modem, I'm looking at the SMC Barricade Broadband Wireless DSL Router, ADSL modem. It's 802.11g compliant with 54mps wireless and 10/100 hub. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking for it to go 100 to 150 feet so I can use my laptop in my friends apartment as well as my second floor.

The modem is only 4,000 baht or so.

One thing I will try is to use my home login/password at a TRUE wifi site at B2S or Starbucks and see if it works :)

LG: On another note, I never said I'm glad your back in-country. Sure the Quiz team is thankful too!!!

<<burp>>

True came and setup my line. I didn't have them touch my computer or modem. They wanted 350 baht. I gave it to them. Still don't understand why. They weren't even going to give me a receipt. They gave me something, got to find out what he wrote. I believe it's a setup fee for the modem which they did absolutely nothing.

I bought my wireless ADSL router modem. Works fine, can get a strong signal from quite a distance. Thing is, I haven't found out how to setup a password or someway to limit folks on my wireless network. Guess that'll wait till tomorrow. Couldn't find the SMC modem except one place who wanted 5,900 baht. Ended up with a D-Link at 4,850 baht. Course the manual doesn't match the software so I have to educate myself on wireless technology.

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

True came and setup my line. I didn't have them touch my computer or modem. They wanted 350 baht. I gave it to them. Still don't understand why. They weren't even going to give me a receipt. They gave me something, got to find out what he wrote. I believe it's a setup fee for the modem which they did absolutely nothing.

I bought my wireless ADSL router modem. Works fine, can get a strong signal from quite a distance. Thing is, I haven't found out how to setup a password or someway to limit folks on my wireless network. Guess that'll wait till tomorrow. Couldn't find the SMC modem except one place who wanted 5,900 baht. Ended up with a D-Link at 4,850 baht. Course the manual doesn't match the software so I have to educate myself on wireless technology.

<<burp>>

I signed up at the True office last Wednesday. They said they would come tomorrow, Tuesday, for the install.

Process took 3 hours, because their system kept crashing. Bad omen, but everything worked out fine. Girls spoke reasonable English, unlike Gummi's experience. Asked to use their high speed internet connection while waiting- the dude said 40 baht for 1 hour. Guess I must have given him some evil face, because he immediately logged me in using his PW! :devil:

Small problem because I'm in a condo and already have as TRUE line, supplied by the condo, that I dial "0" to get an outside line. That created some confusion until I said I want my own, new line. They issued a new phone number for me.

Surprise! They arrived today, Monday, while I was at work. Guy called me, getting directions, spoke only Thai. I was able to piece together what he was asking and get him to my place, where GF was waiting.

When the install happened, they left the old line and ran a new one- 1 room only, but about 15 meters of phone line, so very transportable. I'll probably look to WiFi it next.

The guy also demanded 350 baht, same as Gummi. No receipt. Asked GF to call office, but the guy called and gave her the phone. Whoever was on the other end said that she had to pay and that I must have misunderstood what "free installation" meant. ::

Plugged in modem when I got home, Zyxel prestige 630, USB. Futzed around for 5 minutes, bingo, connected! Pushing 1.1 MBps at 1700! Still getting same rate at 1900. :bow::beer:

I have the 2500 MBps package at 1150/month. Only had to prepay 1 month for this one. The 1250 MBps at 890 B/month, have to prepay 2 months.

If you ASK for the "TRUE All Together" plan, they give you a free Orange SIM card with 50 B on it. After 1week/1 month (don't know which), money paid for ADSL is credited to SIM card, kinda like a free line.

So far so good. Of course, I'll post when (not if :() something fooks up.

Gotta figure out what the 350 B was for. :dunno: The guy said he is annoyed at TRUE for not telling farang (he specifically said farang) about the charge for his services. Maybe TRUE will deduct it from my first bill.

Anyway, feeling pretty :: right now. Online for 1.5 hours now and DL'd 260,000 Kb of data.

Khun Kong: Glad to hear your up and running!

Okay, for those looking to get an ADSL/router/wireless thingymawiggy.

I bought a DLink DSL G604T. It's an ADSL modem, router (with 4 ports) and wireless transmitter. So I'm not using the USB modem that came with True (anyone want to buy a modem? hehe).

The software doesn't match the manual 100% (even the website manual). But enough's there to figure things out.

Works basically as advertised EXCEPT when there's high throughput through the ADSL modem. When my DownLoad speeds are over 70kbps (on a 1 meg line) the wireless network becomes intermittent. I also experience problems like I cannot see my desktop, much less copy things from it to my laptop. Hooked into the hub, it's okay, but slow.

This item is amongst the cheapest amongst it's peers. I got it for 4,800 baht or so. While I am happy and am not going to switch, if I had the chance over again, I'd probably role the dice on a more name brand quality manufacturer like Level 1.

<<burp>>

Archived