84 Dead in Pattani: "This is typical"

MaiLuk

What do you guys think this does to Mr. T domestically? I mean, how does the average Thai view this incident?

I find that the Thais I know seem uncomfortable discussing an incident like this with a foreigner. It's probably beucase they are embarrassed.

After this, so defensive that I feel uncomfortable raising what happened. I know it is discussed among Thais because I hear it in the halls and the lunch room when I pass by, but as soon as I am noticed, the topic quickly changes. I think you are right: they are embarrassed.

I also think many Thais, particularly the more educated, are beginning to realize just how authoriatrian this government really is. It not so easy to pretend everything is OK anymore here.

Even those who could care less about human rights or aren't sophisticated enough to understand why these types of authoriatrian measures are bad for business realize that this could draw some serious retaliation. Quite frankly I am much more nervous now that I was week ago when I am in any public place such as a shopping mall or entertainment venue.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the website of the Patani United Liberation Organisation: http://www.pulo.org/

Some interesting pics. THe site is mainly in Thai but some in English... a travel warning for example. Might be of interest to some.

And a primer on Muslim Separatism in Thailand can be found at the link below:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/2002/Muslim_Separatists_%20Primer_Jul02.doc

They already bombed a tourist target some time ago, those bars on the Malaysian border. The object was to drive away Malaysian tourists, who bring money into the area. Probably hoping increased poverty will help them blame the Thai government for it. I'd expect more of that to happen. The extremists already have said they want an Islamic republic with sharia law. (Be kind of tough on the Thai and Chinese minority, though maybe they plan to drive them out.)

How about this for a solution, give the buggers what they want-an independant islamic state or incorporate it into malaysia.But then send any muslim born in the area living in Thailand back there. Would that satisfy them or would they still be blowing things up and slitting peoples throats?-peter

Flashermac said:

They already bombed a tourist target some time ago, those bars on the Malaysian border. The object was to drive away Malaysian tourists, who bring money into the area. Probably hoping increased poverty will help them blame the Thai government for it. I'd expect more of that to happen. The extremists already have said they want an Islamic republic with sharia law. (Be kind of tough on the Thai and Chinese minority, though maybe they plan to drive them out.)

Here's the most recent one. Probably won't make CNN.....

Bomb hits S Thai tourist town

The bombing came as funerals were prepared for those killed in protests

A bomb has exploded in a town in south Thailand, killing one person and injuring at least 20, reports say.

The explosion took place in the Muslim-dominated province of Narathiwat, where 78 people died in army custody this week following street protests.

The bomb went off in Sungai Ko-lok, a town popular with Malaysian tourists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3962173.stm

Are you refering to drug dealers and criminals, perhaps probation or community service would have been better? But don't forget hundreds of innocent people would have died anyway from the drug trade.It's easy to start shroud waving and moan about Thaksin but not so easy to come up with better solutions. Taksin did a good job in the drug war, the dead don't deal. Why are so many daft liberals always on the side of the guilty?-peter

Archived