ATM fraud in Thailand

WOW,

I guess that is what hapened.

7,000 baht is a lot money for her. She has a mai pen rai attitude towards this. Which pisses me off.

A bank in the US tries to tell me I just have to kiss my deposits good bye, and they will have freaking nut case on their hands. :onfire:

HT

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see from the passbook at which ATM the withdrawal was made, there is a code for it, then call 02-645 5555 and ask which ATM is this. Do not ask the Bank in question which ATM it is, they may lie.

Then go to this ATM and check for a camera. Do not ask Bangkok Bank whether this ATM has a camera, they may well lie. Go check by yourself. If there is a camera have the photos checked (time of withdrawals is on record).

File a complaint with the police. Only if you do this will Bangkok Bank release the pictures to you.

I had a problem like this with Bangkok Bank before, they were very unhelpful, and as the sum involved was only 2000 B and they told me the pictures showed a tall farang withdrawing the money (so it was probably me) I gave up in the end, didn't go to the police, it was just a waste of time.

Problems with ATMs like this are common in Thailand.

>Yea. She thinks someone just was behind her, and copied her pin. I tried to explain a pin alone is no good, unless you have the card to go with it. To no avail...

The card can be copied, especially if used in some dungy shops as EFTPOS.

Then, somebody has to record her pin number, which is also possible with a bogus card reader with a keypad.

If that had not happened, I don't know how else could it be possible.

As a former ATM software developer I knew the basics of ATMs.

The cameras are not always in use, usually at places where complaints were received from. Or can be requested to be activated whenever a particular card is inserted.

The PIN is not stored in the card. It's paired with the account number and kept on the bank's mainframe.

Once, corporate representative showed us the stats of ATM frauds around the world (65% of ATM market then). Except the entire fake ATMs or other shaddy business run by crime gangs, the complaints were always unfounded and were always consumer's faults of different kinds, mostly involving a third person or being drunk or forced at gun point.

IMO, here, unless it were someone from the family using her card I doubt anyone prepared, equipped and skilled to forge the card would have left a satang in it.

I would tell the bank from now on I am going to use only ATM at the xyz branch and to ensure the cam/photo is activated whenever my card is inserted.

Quote "A slim card reader fits into the card slot of an ATM."

and there are enough cases out on the internet that claim that this can be a legitimate crime.

What is more important: accusing a Thai woman of being a liar and a thief, or becoming aware of other possible ways people can get your money without you even knowing about it?

shygye said:

A slim card reader fits into the card slot of an ATM.

Slim card reader - you mean it can be in there and still accept the card? ATM sensors would detect that something is being inserted, if there is no immediate action it will either swallow the reader as it would a card if there is no action or spit it out.

Even if so, it has no interraction with the keyboard, so somebody must be watching or taping her typing the pin.

To really do anything to the ATM, one has to have access to the back side of it, which is inside the bank. We have all seen a technician or people replenishing money working on open back side of an ATM while the guard is standing around them.

Has to be a bloody well orchestrated scam between the guard, ATM vendor technicians and bank management to install or touch anything inside the machine.

Not that it's impossible but I can't believe it may ever happen at BKK Bank (my understanding is the money was withdrawn from the branch's ATM).

ATMs at shopping malls or petrol station are on a bit of a higher risk but as I said, it really requires a good organization that would quickly empty all accounts they can get into and disappear.

The first case, back in early 90s in England - someone bought a second hand ATM as scrap metal and managed to refurbish it and put it in some shopping area.

He had the guts and gear to ferry 1.2ton ATM and crane it up and down the truck.

Once a card was read and pin recorded, the "sorry, unable to complete transaction" message issued and the card returned.

After 3 days, the ATM was removed. Then, slowly, the guy made the cards and knowing the pins withdrew whatever he could in one day.

Can't remember now, it was 10 years ago, if daily limit was 500US$ and he had only 100 card+PIN combinations and most of them had some money in them...

The ATM was bought for 40US$.

elef said:

Hi all,

read more about ATM frauds here

elef

It's a Diebold commercial page.

It's their ATM at Citibank that operates in such an illogical way that made me walk away with my card and receipt but leaving money behind, forgetting about it and there was no fraud! Not once, three times.

Luckily, the money was swallowed back and redeposited into my account.

I am not familiar with their technology (IBM resells them too).

All ATMs I ever used were NCR. BKK Bank has mostly them.

The card reader isn't necessarily inserted "into" the machine. It can be glued to the outside of the slot where you insert the card and made to look like it's part of the machine. As the card is inserted, it reads the information off the card. Meanwhile, the machine functions normally.

Archived