ATM fraud in Thailand

I still reckon that if it was professionals, they would have just cleaned out the account.

Just one further thought though, has she received a new card due to expiry of the previous one but where the old one is still working. Has the old one or the new one disappeared ?

When I picked up my card after opening an account at Bangkok Bank, I was given my card and PIN. I immediately changed it but could it be possible that the card was cloned and the PIN somehow "seen" from inside the bank ?

Slightly different but I seem to remember a recent story about someone missing lots of cash from their account and it was found that a bank employee had somehow nicked it. Don't remember the bank.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least your girl friend is aware of this type of crime going on in Thailand; most falangs are not even though the newspapers have had articles dealing with the subject. Various countries, such as the US and the UK have been hit by gangs using remote, wirless card readers and wireless, remote pin hole cameras.

My question is: "how come falangs have such a hard time excepting such things, whereas Thais, and others seem to be aware of it?"

Last year, my American ATM card went on a merry journey to Taiwan, without me.

It was used everyday to purchase several hundred dollars worth of electronic gear for several weeks, running up thousands of U$D in DEBIT on my account.

Have no idea how it happened that someone got the card number- the only place I remember using it was at Ambassador Hotel, to secure my reservation. I guess a clone was made of the card. It was never used at an ATM to withdraw cash (no PIN?)

It peeved me that I could not withdraw one penny over my account balance, but the thieves were able to rack up thousands in debt, even after the card was cancelled!

The bank said that Taiwan has many dealers without a POS machine, just a paper system, where they only do a batch submittal at the end of the day,

Hi mm,

>>>>>My question is: "how come falangs have such a hard time excepting such things, whereas Thais, and others seem to be aware of it?"<<<<

Yes. I'm really pissed about this, and my g/f's reaction to it. Fuck.....the whole purpose of a bank, is to keep your money safe. Their whole attitude drives me crazy. 10,000 baht may not be much to them, but was my tiraks whole savings account. It's a whole months pay, for her, God damn it :onfire:

I love her, so will of course, take care of it for her, but really pisses me off, that she has to go through this crap. My god...10,000 baht is a lot of money for her. She tries really hard to live on 100 baht per day, for food, and expenses. And has been able to so, for 2 years now.

But soon, she will be here with me. So all will be good, and Bangkok Bank, can go get f**ked :D

HT

:o:o Don't be too hard on Bangkok Bank, you will find that just about all of them are about the same.

[color:"red"] Can we change that? [/color]

Yes.

Have her file a police report. Get a copy of the report and take it to her branch and take one to the main branch. If everybody did this. it would not be long before they would change there attitude from "who cares" to "not another one".

[color:"blue"] Khun_Kong [/color]

If you haven't done it already, you should file with each credit card agency a statement that goes along with your credit report that you have been a victim of credit card fraud.

As part of my credit report, it claims I was victimized by credit card fraud. Mine is different then most people. A credit card employee called me and asked if I enjoyed using their credit card in certain states. I told her I did not have their credit card nor did I recently visit those states. Somebody had 'stolen' my identity. So a police report was filed. Also, a report was filed with the credit card company and a notation was made on all 3 major credit card companies about somebody using my identity. Of course, nobody investigated except for me.

[color:"purple"] :: It turned out the card was issued and used by a person living at the same address and with the same name as myself. The only difference was he was at a different apartment from mine. [/color]

All,

I had this happen to me within the past few months. I lost the money and the bank wouldn't reimburse. I was told that when in Thailand to not use the freestanding ATM's, (these are the ones NOT installed into the wall but just attached to the floor with bolts) nor the outdoor ones on the street, even at the bank's outside machines. Seems that some of the guys who work replacing the money in these machines install a key reader INSIDE the machine where no one can see it. (No need for a camera)to get the PIN number, and also have something they attach to the cardslot that gets the info off your card, then they make a duplicate card and have your pin as well. One of the problems with using an ATM card from the states also is the time delay. (They have keys and can access the back door to the machine with no problems or suspicions. They just fill the machine and do this during "routine" maintenence.) The outdoor ones anyone can attach a card reader that fits over the card slot that is barely noticable. It reads the magnetic strip as you slide it through the slot. It does not even interfere with the card or the transaction, it just reads your card info. These are used with a small spy style mini camera to read your pin number as you type it in.

They are getting more and more sophisticated at stealing your money here. A lot of inside crime as well lately in the banks by their staff. Not just a Thai on farang crime as well, they rip off Thais as well.

One way to safeguard against this is to set your daily withdrawal limit to the lowest limit the bank has, get a new ATM card that has more PIN numbers. (The older ones have four numbers, the newer ones have six to eight.) Use only ATM's inside the bank or store, and only ones that are in the wall, and completely shield the keyboard as you punch in the PIN with your body, and even by holding your hand over the keypad as you punch in the numbers in case there is a camera trying to capture your pin. (Although some I saw in Korat recently had only a sheetrock wall they were set into, and that had a door leading behind the machines. Who knows who has the keys to the door, or copies. I can imagine a security guard at night letting an electronics whiz inside for a payoff. Probably the guy who works for the bank who repairs and fills the machines who has the keys to open the back of the machines.)

This is a real problem, and a real pain in the ass, as I use my ATM card almost exclusively when over here now to access my monies in the states. I don't use a Thai bank to keep my money in, as really I trust the Thai banking system and employees much much less than the ones in the states. I've been told this problem has been getting worse and more common over the past six months. (It must be lucrative and relatively easy not to get caught, and the theiving fuckers are clueing in on this and doing it more and more. There have been quite a few scams and rip-offs reported the past few months in the papers about this and other things the bank employees have pulled recently.

Time to take away the wife's ATM card and credit card and use Western Union again, although I hate their fucking rip-off fees! They, Western Union, have been doing a lot of advertising on their services recently, due to this one guy told me at the local Western Union shop/bank, as it is the only safe way now to get the money there quickly and easily without it being stolen. They even give out presents and coupons according to the size of each transaction. My wife got a nice table and chair set for camping or picnicing due to this, as I used Western Union for almost two months before I got back here with the new ATM cards after cancelling the old ones. I even changed banks over this, as the other bank were real assholes about it.

Cent

Cent - Thanks for the tips. I will surely inform my wife to take some precautionary measures.

How about some info sharing here on suspected "bad" ATM locations and also best guess on which ones might be "safer".

Do you guys think that machines, say, for instance, in the lobby of the Citibank building might be more secure than others?

Archived