ATM fraud in Thailand

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
utah2001 said:

The card reader isn't necessarily inserted "into" the machine. It can be glued to the outside of the slot where you insert the card and made to look like it's part of the machine. As the card is inserted, it reads the information off the card. Meanwhile, the machine functions normally.

Now I recall...it was in the "proof of concept" stage 10 years ago. To make ATMs capable to sense your card in your pocket and what's on it when you walk past them or before you insert the card.

Somebody was suggesting it might be a good idea to say "Good day Mr X" or something but privacy committee doomed it.

Possibly, similar devices could be now commercially available in hobby shops. Still, no PIN there.

London has been getting hit big time with card readers. I saw one, it looks like it is part of the ATM machine. It reads your card and the ATM machine also processes your transaction. To get your ATM pin number, they use a concealed pin hole camera. If there is an advertising display beside the ATM machine, it generally is in there. On the new systems, both the card reader and the pin hole camera are wireless and transmit the data remotely. Generally a person receives the info on a notebooks and makes a new card with a card printer attached to the note book. In a matter of minutes, the new card is ready to go.

Hi HT,

A couple years ago, it happened to my brother and a few of people in that province. The amount was small like a couple thousands at a time and no one could find what went wrong and NO ONE got the money back and the bank did not help. However, all the rackets my brother and a couple lawyers created got such act to stop at that branch, so far no one has problem for the past 2 years.

My brother stops using the ATM because of such problem, I have never used an ATM card. Not that it is a solution for anyone, carry cash is terrible too.

Sadly is no one seems to be responsible :(

Jasmine

yes, the way jasmine describes it is the way I know it from Thailand too (Bangkok and upcountry): not a whole account is cleaned out, but several thousands go missing, and the bank says the money has been withdrawn by ATM. The bank will not give the money back and many people think it is an inside job, maybe has nothing to do with the ATM at all.

Hi Jazz,

>>>>Sadly is no one seems to be responsible<<<

Yea...that is so true. I just laughed at first. I said "sweetie, there is no way that someone can get into your bank account at an ATM, without *BOTH* your pin, and ATM card". She said, "Not true. Happens many times in Thai".

She traced location to a single ATM in Nakhon Pathom, where her parents live, and she goes back to, every wekend. First two times only couple of hundred baht was taken out. But all within last months period. I told her to go to banks president (branch), and ask them to pull video of specified time period, but they couldn't be arsed to do. She then went to main branch in BKK (at my urging), and because such a small amount of baht, they were not willing to go to the trouble. God help Bangkok Bank, when I am there next. :onfire: I'll be taking hostages at this point. This is the sweetest of girl's, and she worked really hard to put that much away. She gives 3,000 baht a month to family, on a 12,000/month salary. :onfire: She does not deserve this shit. :censored:

But as I said, she stated that this is not unusual, and has a mai pen rai attitude about it (although very upset, and does not have any money left to live on, this month). Nakhon Pathom Bangkok Bank is going to see what a farang 'mai pen rai' attitude is all about, when I get there. They 'ain't going to be impressed, for sure.

G'f went to BKK main branch to change acounts, and password. But I was really shocked to hear of how often this happens there, and how the simple resignation of "nothing can do about it" is accepted. :onfire:

God help the poor hapless manager-on-duty, when I get there. And I know what most are thinking.....a family member is stealing from her. But it's just not the case. Someone gained access, beyond someone she knows.

PS...I'm sending her what she lost, so she will be ok. :) She never asks me for any monetary assistance, but this is not fair to her. She is a very honest girl. Maybe because they take so little, they think will come under the radar screen? (ATM scammers).

HT

[color:"red"] God help Bangkok Bank, when I am there next. I'll be taking hostages at this point. This is the sweetest of girl's, and she worked really hard to put that much away. She gives 3,000 baht a month to family, on a 12,000/month salary. She does not deserve this shit.

[/color]

No HT no one, whether sweet or not deserves the problem. The best thing to do is file with the police and my brother did. However, there was no camera then and the amount taken out is the same or close to the amount my brother normally withdrew so it was hard to prove.

If there is a camera now which works all the time, the pictures should be taken and the only way you can it proven that it is NOT your GF is having the pictures released, with the help of police, ok?

Friend, her parents probably can help you more than you can, to go there giving your feelings. File the reports with the police, the more people file, the better the banks will work to solve the problem. I don't agree about you going there, it can be bad for your GF in the long run.

Jasmine

[color:"red"]The bank will not give the money back and many people think it is an inside job, maybe has nothing to do with the ATM at all.

[/color]

What you wrote reminded me of an article written by a lawyer a few years ago about the problem and this problem have been going on forever. The article said that he beleived it was an inside job and it happens all over the country. The amount was around 1,000 Baht or less/transaction but from many, many accounts so it could a very big amount.

I just wish someone would do something about it.

Jasmine

Archived