ATM fraud in Thailand

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Guys, I think we want to keep the personal stuff out of here, okay?

Sanuk!

Personal stuff has made this thread rolling.

HT wanted to hear as many opinons he could get, it's all boiling down to the lie his gf told to him, IMO.

Now that the posters are closing down on HT, the whole banking world is rotten, the scams are all over the place but no questions about his gf.

Give me a break. The guy is being gradualy introduced into what is expected, don't blame the banking system for that.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the fact that HT is in a "serious" relationship with his g/f, has already stated that she really has no reason to lie (I assume he would give her what she needs) and the amount lost was 7000 B, and in light of the fact that ATM fraud does exist, why is it so difficult to believe that she is telling the truth? ::

Since HT is not a green newbie I'll assume he'd be able to cut through the bullshit and I'll take his assessment that the g/f is telling the truth. :up:

There seems to be [color:"red"] 'more evidence' [/color] to indicate his girl friend is telling the truth then there is evidence she is 'lying'.

In a court of law, I do not think being Thai automatically means a person is a liar? If I was in the jury, I can not, so far, see anything she did wrong. I would find her innocent.

[color:"red"] And, no way your girl had lied to you?

[/color]

TTM, this is not the first time I mentioned about the bank. A few articles, written by lawyers in Thailand and it happens just about anywhere.

Methinks they are inside jobs and I do wish this thing stopped.

Jasmine

It happened to my sister here in the U.S. ! When you think about it, there are probably millions of ATM transactions every day, so the chances of getting involved in fraud are pretty remote.

In my sister's case, she was told by law enforcement that the card reader is often attached for a short period of time with someone watching from a distance looking through binoculars to get the pin.

My sister was required (by the bank) to file a police report and and sign an affidavit saying she didn't make the withdrawls that were fraudulent. She then got the money back. From what I've read here, I guess you are pretty much SOL if this happens when dealing with a Thai bank.

ok, with ackowledgement that it did happen to HTs gf and to others here in LOS ... and certainly to a more significant number than is random chance .............

It still seems IMO to more of an inside job than an a highly orchestrated high tech operation. Logistically to get a few 1000 baht a pop it defiew any logic. (Yes I know this is Thailand :banghead:)

But here's question has anyone FIRST HAND knowledge of this happening with an International bank card? Local ones could be scammed from the inside IMO, but pretty difficult to see the scenario with a card from outside the country, or even a different bank.

And lets try to keep it to actuallities, not something you read on a yellow web site.

Archived