Anti-scene sentiment

khunsanuk

How did this anti scene sentiment thread become one attacking fly for posting too much, debating and wanting the last word? Is'nt the board bar the place for debating on any topic (almost any) I don't see what difference it makes where you put threads you don't like, people can still read them or not as they wish-peter

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

part of the rules state with repect to the board bar:

If you want to discuss a "heavy subject", that is fine, but it must be done in a "fun" fashion. What do we mean by "fun"? Simple. You can discuss anything you want as long as you do it like friends who respect each other?s viewpoints.

This is usually the case on this forum, you can disagree with posters like fly or ND and others but it does not descend into personal insults which is what I really dislike. There is one poster in particular who does indulge in this stupidity but up to him, I just ignore what I don't like.-peter

khunsanuk said:

Most people come here to find some info, share a story / anecdote, banter a bit with some friends, but they do not come to this board to debate or listen to others debate ad nauseum.

Sanuk!

Khunsanuk,

Granted, this board is your baby, but yours is not the place to presume what so many individuals intent is by coming here. That intent, whatever it may be originally, is prone to change over time.

Case in point: I just completed my fifth trip to Thailand last month. My first was only recently, in Oct. 2002. That makes me a newbie, right? Yet, while I came to this and all the other boards to "to find some info, share a story / anecdote, banter a bit with some friends" and read every thread I could get my hands on for numerous hours/week in the pursuit knowledge of the scene [in the interim] I have grown bored with 'just mongering' by trip four already.

As to 'my' present needs, khunsanuk, you couldn't be more wrong about what I desire in threads. Granted I'm only one poster, but I derive far greater insights into the society from threads such as the Bangna thread, and actively seek out such info now, than I look for the latest 411 on where to go for p4p. I also have a great deal of respect for those posters who so diligently state their positions and hang with it [in spite of the jeering from the gallery of clowns on the side] thus illuminating said opposing viewpoints in the process. By their temerity I both respect them privately and gain insights for furture reference.

If each post is an opinion of one posters concept of their present reality- nothing more or less- but some posters reality doens't jibe with my present understanding so be it! I still am the better for reading the posts since all postings reside then in my mindbank ready to assist me with a given task to decipher the reality presented before me.

It's human nature to cling to the know and our minds get more intractable with age. But I also feel that these threads, as saved records of conversations gone by, can also be the fuel for future revisions of thoughts and preceptions. And here I speak of not just the original thread contributors but present, passive and future readers as well.

KS quote:

>>>So, I really hope we can find out why these sentiments are expressed so we can return to being a tolerant board again. Posts are down and I think that the above mentioned sentiments are at least partially responsible for it.<<<

So by tolerant, do you mean accepting everyting? If someone have a diffrent oppinion to, I broke in a 18 year old and left her so that she could learn what a harsh world she live in, we should not 'tolerate' that'

Not a problem for me either way as my life do not revolve abround this bb, and could just as easely refrain from posting objections to such an attiude and ruin everyones 'fun'.

Your BB, your decission to make.

>>I'm getting married to a girl I met on chat. That should keep everyone busy for a while. And yes...is the same non-p4p girl I met 2 years ago, who jumped right into the sack with me.<<

Well we all assumed that was the case with the way you've been talking about her. Does she have a sister? :D:topic:

Seems to me that Fly is always in long debates because people are always debating him. Like what happened in this thread.

I would like to see people being more civil and sanuk. Like me. santahat.gif But the reality of internet boards is that it just doesn't go that way. Human nature is what it is.

Hi,

"You REALLY in my opinion have to limit the number of posts, when it exceeeds a certain number, PM or or off to the boxing ring "

Checked on that and did find a hack to limit a person's amount of posts per 24hr time period, but that would be board-wide. Nothing so far to limit it per thread which would be preferable I'd say.

I think it would be a BIG mistake to put a limit on posts. Last week i would check the board and wish I hadn't taken the time to do it because there were so few new posts (this was my impression anyway). Seems to me that too few posts may be a reason for not getting new members. Too many posts is better than not enough. Alot of posters just in this thread have over 6 or 7 posts. If you have something meaningful to contribute it would be frustrating to be locked out.

>>>Seems to me that Fly is always in long debates because people are always debating him. Like what happened in this thread. <<<

that's what i thought as well... ::

and anyhow, i do enjoy very much discussing matters with you, even though/especially we have many different viewpoints, but you are always open and civil. :up:

OK, sounds like KS wants everyone to vent...

About Fly, I agree with KS's analysis. I wouldn't really mind a discussion, even a long one, but Fly's method is to a) deny any validity to differing opinions, B) declare those with differing opinions dimwits and tell them to fuck off and, c) repeat himself endlessly. The a) and B) are mostly amusing, but the c) makes it really boring to read those endless threads with something that is repeated over and over and over.

At the same time, I think it's silly to try to moderate Fly's style or limit number of posts. We're adults for Chrissakes and I'd much rather read (or skip) Fly's endless thread than have someone tell Fly that he's aready posted twice today and he has to wait until tomorrow and please don't use the f-word it might offend someone.

Speaking of which - and this is my main complaint - I find it sad and ironic that this board, which includes discussion of unsavory subjects such as prostitution, become so politically correct that sometimes I think it must be run by the New York Times.

Specifically, I am talking about how it is moderated. I have no problem with anyone, including KS in his non-moderator role, making a politically correct statement. It communicates and gets discussed like anything else. What bothers me is when posters are being threatened or warned by moderators because of the views they express.

I am specifically excluding the category of political views sensitive to Thai gov't; I recall an example when a poster was warned about expressing a political view and threatened with dismissal when his view was actually in support of a recent action of the Thai government.

I fully recognize the owner's right to moderate this board any way he sees fit and beneficial. This is not democracy--we're on private property and I respect that. However, occasionally I see an ideological slant here and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Having said that, I choose to ignore these things and I return to the board because, despite the minor things that might occasionally bother me, I enjoy being here.

Archived