Arrrgh! New rules (again) for buying alcohol!

So there I was doing my weekly shopping at Villa (on Suk @ 33). I also just moved into a new place and just came back from a 3 month holiday, so I needed a lot of stuff. And I needed to stock the bar.

So I filled a trolley with all sorts of foodstuffs and wine/booze/beer.

I get to the checkout and there is a sign. With red and black letters. Nicely typeset and laid out. Saying the following: "According to our Thai Constitution and new laws, alcohol can only be sold from 1100 to 1400 and 1700 to midnight."

I check my watch. 1426. The cashier would not budge, even though the bag boy was on my side trying to convince her to just sell it to me.

And I was not the only one. There were expat housewives in pretty much all the lanes in the same boat. At the foot of the checkout counters were stacks of bottles...

WTF???? :dunno::banghead:

Regards,

SD

a stupid kneejerk reaction to the actually good policy of reducing accidents?

road accidents really went down a lot, but this is just typical. same like many roadblocks. they are good, people get tested for alcohol, and if found over the limit, they have to stay a night behind bars and have to be sent to court then.

only that it is mainly just motorcycle drivers who get controlled while cardrivers are rarely touched.

Archived